Clear All
  • Stinky Coyote
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Comment

• Old Bob
      Warrior
      • Oct 2019

I have some two-piece 0 moa steel pic bases on my Howa heavy barrel mini - at least I think they're 0 moa. I have no idea who made them. They were in a baggy in my spare parts bin. Anyway, will they be sufficient to get me on steel at 750yds? That's the furthest berm at the range I go to. Do I need 20 moa bases? I might have to do what Stinky suggested & cut the middle out of a full length pic rail. It's a PITA cramming rounds into the mag box with a full length pic rail installed. I'll be using factory ammo from my Hornady 123gr AMAX stash. My scope is a 4.5-14x40 Leupold.
      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Using the most optimistic MV I've had for a 20 inch (2510 fps), you're looking at about 25 MOA drop at 750 yds. Still supersonic (500 elev), but for your leupold you'll want to do the math whether it can dial in that amount of drop or not. Now idk if the 123 Amax factory gets that MV for you or not.

I looked up a couple of the vx-3/3i/cds's (30 mm tubes) and their specs say 75 moa of elevation, which means if you can perfectly zero at "optical zero" of the scope, then you have 37.5 moa of elevation available. So in theory under these assumptions, yes you would be able to reach 750, it would be by dial-up not hold-over depending on the reticle.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• cwlongshot
          Warrior
          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
          I have some two-piece 0 moa steel pic bases on my Howa heavy barrel mini - at least I think they're 0 moa. I have no idea who made them. They were in a baggy in my spare parts bin. Anyway, will they be sufficient to get me on steel at 750yds? That's the furthest berm at the range I go to. Do I need 20 moa bases? I might have to do what Stinky suggested & cut the middle out of a full length pic rail. It's a PITA cramming rounds into the mag box with a full length pic rail installed. I'll be using factory ammo from my Hornady 123gr AMAX stash. My scope is a 4.5-14x40 Leupold.
          The + MOA base allows you to "steal" adjustment inside your scope.

Fox gave it to ya straight.

Just want to clarify the ability to adjust to long distance depends upon adjustment range of your optic. Lets say you have 25 moa up & 25 moa down. A 20 moa base re adjusts where your optic "points" allowing that much more adjustment to distance. Its not magic. So if your optic has adjustment range ( not all scopes same & generally speaking 30mm gets ya more & 34mm gets ya more yet.) Determines your ability to adjust to desired poa @ range.
          The option if insufficient is reticle hold over.

In any event, & IMHO a+ MOA base is seldom a bad idea.

Good luck!

CW

Comment

• Old Bob
            Warrior
            • Oct 2019

The Leupold scope I have has their Varmint Hunter Reticle. There is no vertical stadia line above the horizontal line. It's pretty much a BDC reticle set-up. I'll zero the scope for 200yds & then see how much holdover is available with my current bases. IIRC, the bullet drop calibration is for .308Win so it oughta be close for the Grendel. I have a feeling I'll run out of elevation before I get to 750yds. I've seen the Tally 20 moa two-piece scope ring/base combo on the 'net but they're aluminum. I'd prefer steel. I saw another brand that looks similar to the Tallys but they're way more expensive & aluminum as well. The rear ring has a bubble level built into it & they're 25 moa.

LeupoldVarmintHunterReticle.png
            Last edited by Old Bob; 12-22-2023, 09:22 AM.
            I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Dinny
              Warrior
              • Jun 2016

I've never used a +moa base on any rifle. Granted, I don't shoot long range. My longest kill was 265yds and I didn't even holder over for that shot.

Comment

• flatland1
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2018

Warne also makes 0 & 20 MOA rails for the Howa Mini. I've got at least a couple of them and three EGW +20 rails on my Mini rifles. I'm using DIP & Jefferson Outdoors DBMs on all five of my custom barreled Mini rifles, so haven't changed over to a Jefferson BDL-style trigger guard unit on any of these rifles yet. The one I built in 22 Grinch gives somewhat inconsistent feeding out of the plastic Howa mag, and that's even after I milled about .020" off the bottoms of both aluminum pillars to let the DBM sit higher in the stock, but I still have to push upwards on the bottom of the mag to get 100% good feeding.

Comment

Working...
                X