• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dinny
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

Jard Trigger and Oregunsmithing Bottom Metal Reviews

I recently learned that Jard offers triggers for the Howa Mini. I ordered one and patiently waited like a kid to get it. Once it arrived I pulled the OEM trigger out of the rifle without even trying it. It was simply one screw attaching the trigger to the receiver and no sooner one was out the other was installed. The first thing I tested was the safety. The leading edge of the safety plate (on the side of the trigger housing) was binding against the slot cut into the receiver. I loosened the trigger and shifted it closer to the slot to give it some space and snugged the trigger back down. It was still binding so I put some moly grease on it but it still bound. I pulled the trigger out and stoned the edge of the safety plate and then polished it on my cardboard knife sharpening wheel. That did the trick and the safety moved freely.

Jard has designed this trigger with screw adjustments for over travel, sear engagement, and pull weight. Following their instructions, I adjusted the over travel first, followed by the sear engagement, and finally the pull weight. I tested the pull weight at 1lb 9oz. While not initially alarming (I ordered the model that adjusted from 16oz - 48oz), I was unsuccessful in my attempt to adjust it to 3lbs. I tried everything to get it any higher but it wouldn't adjust above 1lb 9oz (25oz). I called Jard and after some discussion about the steps I took to adjust the trigger it was decided they would send me two new trigger springs with increased wire thicknesses.

Today I got those springs and took to measuring them to determine which was which. The spring I originally received with the trigger measured 0.015" while the other spring wires measured 0.019" and 0.022". The 0.019" increased trigger pull to 1lb 11oz. I swapped it out for the 0.022" spring and this is where everything started to got downhill. The set screw/pull weight screw doesn't have much of a point on the back and makes it difficult to center on the spring while pushing it in and grab threads to tighten it. I struggled significantly with this and the screw spun and spun kicking out shards of aluminum trigger housing everywhere. I removed the spring and would chase the threads with the set screw by itself. After many failed attempts to compress the spring and turn the adjustment screw in it finally bit. I will add that it only bit because I backed out both the sear engagement and the over travel screws which allow the trigger to move and create more space for the pull weight spring and lessen the compression needed.

Now the trigger wouldn't move so I took back to the instructions and started adjusting the over travel. When I got that to where I thought I had the screw in a good spot, I started adjusting the sear engagement screw and WHAMOO! The pull weight screw and spring had flung! They were lost to the abyss I call my workshop. The pull weight screw had lost it feeble grip and what threads were left in it's hole.

Now I'm back to the OEM trigger until I can discuss my dilemma with Jard on Monday.

The Oregunsmithing bottom metal works fabulously and is what these fine rifles should have been designed with from the start. I had to ever so slightly whittle a small amount of material from the stock inlet to fit it in. I did, however, need to remove a bit of material from inside the trigger slot to have it fit the Jard trigger, which is curved a bit more than the OEM trigger that Wayne designed the bottom metal to work with. I could not be happier with the feed and function of the bottom metal, spring, and follower. I ran about 20 rounds of factory ammo thru the gun today and it fed smoothly.

I'll provide an update tomorrow after I talk to the folks at Jard. I really, really like the trigger. It has an adjustment screw on the side to adjust the tightness of the safety lever as it travels over the ball bearing detents and the safety lever itself is shaped more like that of a Remington. I hope to get mine replaced after I cut out the trigger slot on the bottom metal to fit it.

Thanks, Dinny

IMG_20200502_55749.jpgIMG_20200502_41700.jpgIMG_20200502_56792.jpgIMG_20200502_22486.jpgIMG_20200502_43939.jpgIMG_20200502_631.jpgIMG_20200502_9664.jpgIMG_20200502_50463.jpgIMG_20200502_44836.jpgIMG_20200502_36245.jpg
    Last edited by Dinny; 05-03-2020, 01:51 AM.
  • phorizt
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2019

Did you speak with Jard? Curious if you were able to work out the issues. I'm about to but a replacement trigger for our Howa mini action and trying to decide between the Jard and the Timney. This gun is what my kids hunt with so I like the fact that the Timney has a 3 position safety and I really hate the stock safety that comes on this rifle. I'm more replacing the trigger bc I don't like the safety than bc I don't like the trigger. I've only ever shot stock triggers so who knows maybe a trigger upgrade with be a game changer for me. I read somewhere that the Jard is only a two position safety. Is that correct?

Comment

• Dinny
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

Jard was closed yesterday. I'll talk to them tomorrow. The Jard trigger is three position and very smooth in it's travel between each position. Timney CS responded to an email I sent them saying their Howa 1500 trigger was not recommended for the Howa Mini action.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Dinny
        Warrior
        • Jun 2016

Just got off the phone with Jard. I'm sending the trigger back with a note to have them replace it with one set for 36oz. I'm happy with their service to date.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Dinny
          Warrior
          • Jun 2016

Today I got the repaired trigger back from Jard. It is the same trigger but they removed the pretravel set screw and drilled the pull weight screw hole larger and placed a different spring and set screw in. I was instructed to provide the pull weight I wanted when I returned it. My note asked for a 48oz trigger. Initially it read 4lb 8oz on my Lyman scale so I turned the pull weight screw out 1/4 turn and it came down to 1lb 9oz. So after some back and forth I got it to 3lb 3oz. I replaced the stock and bottom metal and tested it 10 times. The pull weight dropped almost everytime until I was down to 1lb 9oz again. Thinking perhaps the bottom metal was interferring, I removed it and got the same bleed off results after again adjusting the pull weight screw. I'm calling Jard tomorrow to talk about a new replacement or a refund. Too bad too, the safety lever is a huge improvement over the factory one.

Thanks, Dinny
          Last edited by Dinny; 06-05-2020, 02:26 AM.

Comment

• Dinny
            Warrior
            • Jun 2016

I talked to Dean at Jard today. I was instructed to send the trigger back for a credit. I have it boxed up and will type a letter requesting a brand new trigger set for 3lbs or a full refund. I really want to have their triggebut this is getting ridiculous.

In the meantime I have somone inquiring with Timney about a Mini-specific trigger.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
              I talked to Dean at Jard today. I was instructed to send the trigger back for a credit. I have it boxed up and will type a letter requesting a brand new trigger set for 3lbs or a full refund. I really want to have their triggebut this is getting ridiculous.

In the meantime I have somone inquiring with Timney about a Mini-specific trigger.

Thanks, Dinny
              Sorry to hear about all the trouble.

Did you ever try the aftermarket springs for the howa trigger?

Might be worth a try to change them and then adjust it down to your liking.

Comment

• Dinny
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

A5,
                I removed a coil from the factory trigger spring and, now after the Jard trigger drama, have found myself much happier with it than I imagined.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

A5,
                  I removed a coil from the factory trigger spring and, now after the Jard trigger drama, have found myself much happier with it than I imagined.

Thanks, Dinny
                  Good to hear.

There is a guy on eBay I believe called gunbloke. He sales diffrent spring kits for the howa triggers, might beable to find a spring set to replace the factory springs and adjust to a better setting of your liking.

I never cut mine but did adjust the factory springs down perrty low, worked good, really liked it.

Comment

• Dinny
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2016

I called Jard today and was told I'm in the refund queue and should have it in few more days. In the meantime I'm ordering a Timney and not looking back.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Bfglowkee
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2019

I purchased the springs from the Gunbloke EBAY seller and can confirm they work near flawless. The process to replace the spring was simple. The only negative was my impatience waiting for it to arrive from Australia.

Comment

• pinetreebbs
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Bfglowkee View Post
                        I purchased the springs from the Gunbloke EBAY seller and can confirm they work near flawless. The process to replace the spring was simple. The only negative was my impatience waiting for it to arrive from Australia.
                        I did this too, they work very well.

Comment

• Dinny
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2016

I called Jard today and was told I'm in the refund queue and should have it in few more days. In the meantime I'm ordering a Timney and not looking back.

Thanks, Dinny
                          I still haven't received a refund from Jard. I'm calling them again tomorrow.

Dinny

Comment

• Dinny
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2016

It took Jard 30 days but I finally got my refund today.

I'm told Timney is developing a trigger specifically for the Mini Howa and it should be available in the near future.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

It took Jard 30 days but I finally got my refund today.

I'm told Timney is developing a trigger specifically for the Mini Howa and it should be available in the near future.

Thanks, Dinny
                              If I could get the trigger from my CZ varmint grendel to fit the howa action, I would sell the CZ and go back to the howa action.

Comment

Working...
                              X