• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oso Polaris
    Warrior
    • Apr 2019

Howa Mini - Comparison of Bottom Metal Upgrade

We now have three (3) quality solutions to Howa's plastic trigger guard.

The first is simply a quality metal replacement of OEM plastic trigger guard and continues to use OEM magazines.

The other two (2) are designed with an internal/blind magazine that eliminates the external plastic OEM magazine (critical design failure).
    Oregunsmithing, LLC - We build custom rifles, Pendleton Composite Stocks, offer reboring and relining, custom services, Howa Mini Bottom Metal

Both the replacement bottom metal / internal magazines from Oregunsmithing and Hokey (Jefferson Outdoors) are approximately the same price and similar quality construction.
  • Oso Polaris
    Warrior
    • Apr 2019

Max. COAL
    DIP Model: OEM Mag length
    Jefferson Outdoors Model: 2.46"
    Oregunsmithing Model: 2.45"

Magazine Loading:
    Jefferson Outdoors Model: top loading down into internal magazine may have loading interference if using full-length picatiny rail (limited finger room)
    Oregunsmithing Model: top loading down into internal magazine (tight fit loading from above with rail)

Unit Weight
    Jefferson Outdoors Model: 3.1 oz
    Oregunsmithing Model: 3.4 oz

*** Note: Updated with product weights ***
    Last edited by Oso Polaris; 08-10-2020, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• Oso Polaris
      Warrior
      • Apr 2019

Does anyone have any experience with both the Hokey and Oregunsmithing replacement units? If so how do they compare operating... any issues with feeding or nose diving?

Thanks

Comment

• jmkhenka
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2020

I have the Jeffersons model, i will take some photos and measurements.

Comment

• jmkhenka
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2020

Jeffersons outdoor.

Aluminium frame with plastic box inside, top has plastic lips on both sides similar to the OEM magazine.
          Capacity 4 rounds, but recommend 3 for ease of closing bolt on empty.
          Top load is viable, but there is a snag sometimes where a round gets stuck between the left lip and the left side of the action. Most common is when you load the 4th round as you need to push harder.
          But if loading in the field, its easier just to turn the rifle upside down and drop 3 rounds in the box and close it (on closed bolt), takes no time at all.
          you can still single feed with no issues.

The magazine lips holds the round practically identical to the OEM mag so feeding is not an issue.

Max COAL is 63mm or 2.480 inches. Would probably limit myself to 62mm as the magazine is V formed, and it might be tight.
          But as the Howa mini throat is designed i have never been able to load anything this long before hittings lands.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/jUjFdNK

Overall, nice when in the field (3+1) and on the range top loading is easier.

Comment

• tdbru
            Warrior
            • Dec 2019

i can get 4 in my JO setup. i have a rail so no room to load from the top. i simply flip it over, drop 4 rounds in, and close the hinged magazine cover. neat.
            feeds just fine.
            -tdbru

Comment

• JSH
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2019

Has anyone tried 204 Ruger with the 223 bottom metal?

Comment

• garyrapp55
                Warrior
                • Aug 2019

DIP is the only company that has upgraded the mag release, correct?

Comment

• tdbru
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2019

JO has one too.

-tdbru

Comment

• garyrapp55
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2019

tdbru, please explain. This is all I see on JO site, "The magazine release securely holds the magazine tighter making it difficult to accidentally drop a magazine. This magwell does not ship with a magazine release, pin, or spring you will need to transfer your factory parts from the original magwell to this one." These 2 sentences almost contradict each other. Is it an upgraded release, or is it the factory release?

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by garyrapp55 View Post
                      tdbru, please explain. This is all I see on JO site, "The magazine release securely holds the magazine tighter making it difficult to accidentally drop a magazine. This magwell does not ship with a magazine release, pin, or spring you will need to transfer your factory parts from the original magwell to this one." These 2 sentences almost contradict each other. Is it an upgraded release, or is it the factory release?
                      I do not sell an upgraded mag release, I just pre-tensioned the spring in the pocket to hold the factory release tighter.

Comment

• garyrapp55
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2019

Thank you HPK, now I understand. What's the lead time on these?

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2018

Originally posted by garyrapp55 View Post
                          Thank you HPK, now I understand. What's the lead time on these?
                          My target is before the end of the July.

I doubled my regular quantities because of the demand but It's still my side job so it takes longer than I like.

Comment

• Dinny
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2016

I'm satisfied with all functions of the Oregunsmithing metal. Max COAL is 2.45"

I got an email reply and had the pleasure of talking to Wayne York for a good while today. He has a prototype made that functions flawlessly with the 6.5 Grendel Howa Mini. It will be a DIY install that fits the factory bottom metal inlet. He mentioned it was a fun challenge converting it from a single feed DBM to a staggered

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Oso Polaris
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
                              I'm satisfied with all functions of the Oregunsmithing metal. Max COAL is 2.45"

I got an email reply and had the pleasure of talking to Wayne York for a good while today. He has a prototype made that functions flawlessly with the 6.5 Grendel Howa Mini. It will be a DIY install that fits the factory bottom metal inlet. He mentioned it was a fun challenge converting it from a single feed DBM to a staggered

Thanks, Dinny
                              Dinny,

Any challenges loading rounds into internal blind magazine? Any issues with clearance/tight fit when top loading cartridges into the magazine if using a picatiny scope rail?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X