While I was waiting on reloading supplies, this happened.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • koger
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2020

While I was waiting on reloading supplies, this happened.

Finally got time to shoot my CZ 6.5 Grendel yesterday. I had shot it once before, with some factory Hornady ammo, and was hovering around 1/2". I had picked up a couple of boxes of Federal Fusion, on a impulse buy while waiting on my reloading supplies to arrive. First 3 were about 3/4" so I was happy, that all left when the next 3 went into 4"! It just got worse as we went along, it obviously hates this load. I will be trying the 120sp Sierra when dies gets here, has to do better than the factory. Anybody have any H4895, Varget, or such loads with these powders and the 120 gr.
    Last edited by koger; 07-29-2020, 06:37 PM.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I use h4895 with the 129 ablr in my CZ grendel, never tryed it with 120's did try some 123 eld-m's with it but ar-comp did better with them.

When you tryed the fusion. Was it continues shots?

Wondering if the barrel just got to hot after the first 3 shots causing the next shots to open.

My CZ does that after 5 are so shots of my 129 ablr load, if I don't give it a few mints between groups.

Comment

• koger
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2020

I was giving it 5 minutes between each group. I probably found out what the problems were with it today. I never shoot a bolt rifle till I bed it, float the barrel, it would have been wise to do that with this rifle. The tip of the stock was touching on the right side of the barrel, and about halfway up the barrel channel on the left side. The stock screw was not very tight and you could see the action had been moving slightly. I got mad at myself for not checking it the first time, and I expected a CZ to be partly bedded at least. I floated the barrel, and bedded the action from the front of the magazine to the end of the chamber. It also had a steel pillar in the back hole of the stock that was loose, I also bedded that in. I will try it again tomorrow and see how it does, I expect it will be some better.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by koger View Post
        I was giving it 5 minutes between each group. I probably found out what the problems were with it today. I never shoot a bolt rifle till I bed it, float the barrel, it would have been wise to do that with this rifle. The tip of the stock was touching on the right side of the barrel, and about halfway up the barrel channel on the left side. The stock screw was not very tight and you could see the action had been moving slightly. I got mad at myself for not checking it the first time, and I expected a CZ to be partly bedded at least. I floated the barrel, and bedded the action from the front of the magazine to the end of the chamber. It also had a steel pillar in the back hole of the stock that was loose, I also bedded that in. I will try it again tomorrow and see how it does, I expect it will be some better.
        Yea my wood stock that came with my CZ had the same floating piller on the rear screw.

Soon as I took it out the box it went in a bell & carlson stock, much better for groups then the wood stock.

Comment

• riuma
          Warrior
          • Jun 2018

My Standard CZ American purchased a few falls back gave me fits until I pillar bedded and floated. I then got rid of the awful CZ trigger. Shoots as good as I can hold it with Sierra 120 Pro Hunters and SW Match Rifle. No barrel heating issues.

My CZ Varmint purchased this past spring has an entirely different bedding system, straight from the factory, and shoots bug holes right out of the gate.~Riuma

Comment

• Rayatphonix
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2018

Comment

• riuma
              Warrior
              • Jun 2018

8208-XBR is one of the few powders I have not tried in the Grendel/CZ. I thought CFE223 was the ticket and then H335. Ran BLc-2 and was about to delve into the XBR when I hit on Match Rifle.I just never found a reason to go any further. What kind of speeds are you getting, do you know?~Riuma

Comment

• Rayatphonix
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2018

Comment

• riuma
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2018

I look forward to your results.~Riuma

Comment

• koger
                    Unwashed
                    • Jul 2020

Well after bedding the rear pillar, and bedding the action from in front of the magazine, to the end of the chamber, floating the barrel the rest of the way out,problem solved. I shot 5 factory rounds, into 3/4", 5-85 gr Sierras into one hole that was about .375, that is total spread not center to center! I shot a 3 shot 120
                    sierra SP into about the same exact group/impact, with the barrel cool, and went back to it when the barrel was hot, and it went into a tad over 1/2", again I am talking extreme spread, not center to center. This was with a dirty barrel, fouled after the last shooting session, and left alone. I can send pics if anyone wants to post them. I am a happy camper.

Comment

• riuma
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2018

Excellent. I never clean my bores unless I get foreign matter in them, and then olly with a light drop of oil on a patch, then patched dry.~Riuma

Comment

• Rayatphonix
                        Unwashed
                        • Apr 2018

Comment

• riuma
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2018

Looks like you're set. I'm assuming accuracy was good? That difference in speed might have evaporated with a longer string.~Riuma

Comment

• Rayatphonix
                            Unwashed
                            • Apr 2018

Comment

• riuma
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2018

I am much the same. I have an idea of what the speed should be by way of the data and then if the loads turn out to be exceptional in some way, I'll chronograph a 10 shot string. It was only by chance that i chronographed my Match Rifle 120 grain load. It was exceptionally accurate and I was planning on running some 6.5 Creedmoor loads over the Labradar so I dragged the CZ Grendel out. I was actually not far off the data at 2690 fps. The data has max velocities at mid 2600. Add extra barrel length and I was in the ball park already, I guess. That extra speed doesn't offer a lot of practical advantage but it was interesting to find out it was there.~Riuma

Comment

Working...
                              X