• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oso Polaris
    Warrior
    • Apr 2019

Howa Barrel Break-in

Has anyone used David Tubbs Final Finish impregnated bullets to smooth out their Howa Mini factory barrel?
  • JSH
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2019

Never had any of the three of mine to show terrible rough bores.

Comment

• Oso Polaris
      Warrior
      • Apr 2019

I have seen a fair number of posts where the barrel break-in takes 150-200 rounds before barrel settles down and shoots consistently. Typical indication of rough barrel (tooling marks, burs, etc.) Unfortunately, I don't own a borescope and I don't want the OCD that develops with owning one. My experience is that majority of factory barrels benefit from lapping to remove the imperfections of mass production. I can accomplish this by either hand lapping or by shooting enough bullets down barrel to smooth out the rough spots.

I was hoping to quickly stabilize barrel performance before making effort to begin load development. Thought Tubb's bullets might be the new better mouse trap then spending hot afternoon at shooting bench with plinking rounds, cleaning solvent and J-B paste.
      Last edited by Oso Polaris; 07-26-2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Oso,

How does it group?

Comment

• Oso Polaris
          Warrior
          • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Klem View Post
          Oso,

How does it group?
          Good Question - I have no idea. This is a budget build for young niece. It is brand new, and I am waiting on scope rail to show up. I have seen enough posts on barrel performance that I thought I would be proactive. I was just about to order some J-B paste to lap barrel during break-in when I remembered a conversation with fellow shooter who used the Tubb's bullets. I took a look at Tubb's website and their recommendation is to break-in new barrel with their bullets, which I assume in part is to avoid any copper fouling that will interfere with lapping compound on bullet making direct contact with the steel of the barrel.

With our ammo/reloading supply shortage, I hate idea of waste 100-200 bullets just to get gun broken-in like I read about in some of the posts.
          Last edited by Oso Polaris; 07-26-2020, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• JSH
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2019

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Oso Polaris View Post
              I have seen a fair number of posts where the barrel break-in takes 150-200 rounds before barrel settles down and shoots consistently. Typical indication of rough barrel (tooling marks, burs, etc.) Unfortunately, I don't own a borescope and I don't want the OCD that develops with owning one. My experience is that majority of factory barrels benefit from lapping to remove the imperfections of mass production. I can accomplish this by either hand lapping or by shooting enough bullets down barrel to smooth out the rough spots.

I was hoping to quickly stabilize barrel performance before making effort to begin load development. Thought Tubb's bullets might be the new better mouse trap then spending hot afternoon at shooting bench with plinking rounds, cleaning solvent and J-B paste.
              Here is my suggestion. Grab up a 200 round box of hornady American gunner, go to the range, leave the cleaning supplys at home, sight in and enjoy the afternoon shooting 200 rounds.

Safe the brass for reloads, go home clean bore and chamber, your ready to work up sub moa groups now.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Oso,

Yes, don't fix something that may not be broken. Shoot a few groups first and then make a decision.

Normal shooting is going to do that anyway. It may take a few more rounds to fill in all the micropores with copper and smooth out the machining marks but it will all get there eventually.

(I wonder if Tubbs uses these bullets on his own barrels).

Comment

• Laman
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2019

That was going to be my question, have you shot it yet? My mini Grendel and two others I am familiar with shoot sub MOA with no regimented breakl-procedure. Cleaned the bores fired a couple of shots cleaned again and then fired away. Honestly even with the factory 123 sst we could see these guns were shooters within the first 40 rounds. A little load developement and we've each got several loads that are MOA or below, very accurate for the hunting they will do. Note we are not trying to make benchrest rifles out of these Mini's, that's not what they were designed to do.

Comment

Working...
                  X