• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redbaron
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2020

Howa 1500 scout project

I've started putting together a scout rifle in 6.5G using a Howa barreled action. I think I've got most of the components figured out except for the magazine. I'm not sure if I want to stick with the factory magazine and upgrade the bottom metal, or go with an upgraded bottom metal/blind magazine set up. My hang up is in carrying the rifle. On my other scouts I find myself carrying the rifle in hand gripping it around the action/magazine, and I wasn't sure if the factory mag would get in the way of that too much.

Are there any practical reasons to retain the factory mag setup over a blind magazine setup?

Here's what I've got and what I'm planning on the build so far:

B&C Sporter stock
    Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x Scout Scope
    Send off to gunsmith for:
    Cut barrel (it's the heavy contour) back to 18" and thread for muzzle device
    Install small rail section on barrel for scope mount
    Attach backup irons...somehow
  • Stinky Coyote
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

i think the better base for this project would be the ruger american ranch with it's 16.1" heavy threaded barrel and detachable 10 round AR magazine...this would just require a front, your barrel mount scout rail, and rear sight which could utilize the stock rail, or remove the stock rail

but you're not going to find a reasonable magazine solution for scout concept imo, the ruger is most of the way there

Comment

Working...
    X