• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fasteddie
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2020

Howa Mini vs custom action

I have a howa mini in 6.5 grendel and looking to add another rifle in a grendel based cartridge. Maybe a 6mm arc or .224 variant. This is purely for fun at the range. I'm debating the merits of sticking with the howa mini actions vs doing a custom action route. My main reason for custom would be for the bolt lift and smoothness. I've never felt a custom action before. I tend to think the howa mini is pretty darn smooth already though my bolt lift is tight (hoping it'll loosen over time). How much better is a custom over the howa in this regard? Otherwise, the howa is great. Barrels are available. Stock/chassis options are acceptable as is the trigger. Magazine is not an issue for me. Not sure what others think of the mini vs regular action length for grendel cartridges? Any other pros/cons to think about for howa vs custom?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Howa mini
    Cz527
    Ruger

That is your options to build off of and have a working grendel mag, anything else and you will also have too do custom work to the mag to get it to work with the grendel case.

Comment

• Oso Polaris
      Warrior
      • Apr 2019

Fast Eddie,

A custom action is a huge jump... difference between Jose Cuervo and Patron. One you have to man up to drink or mix it to tolerate and the other you want to sip at leisure. If you go to a custom action then you have limitless options on stocks, actions, magazines, barrel blank profiles and everything else. If you think the Howa action is smooth then be prepared for your mind to be blown.

Also, Borden sells a smaller custom action geared toward the 6PPC so should be perfect for the Grendel. Everyone should have the chance to own at least one custom rifle in their life.

Comment

• Old Bob
        Warrior
        • Oct 2019

The Zastava LK M85 mini Mauser could be a good candidate for conversion to 6.5 Grendel, especially the one chambered in 7.62x39. It's a good lookin' traditional bolt gun also sold as an Interarms Mini Mark X. I saw an Interarms marked mini Mauser at a gun show that was chambered in.223 Rem. It was a beautiful gun with a well-figured European walnut stock & exquisite bluing.

I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Harpoon1
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
          The Zastava LK M85 mini Mauser could be a good candidate for conversion to 6.5 Grendel, especially the one chambered in 7.62x39. It's a good lookin' traditional bolt gun also sold as an Interarms Mini Mark X. I saw an Interarms marked mini Mauser at a gun show that was chambered in.223 Rem. It was a beautiful gun with a well-figured European walnut stock & exquisite bluing.

https://zastavaarmsusa.com/product/s...-rifle-lk-m85/

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

There were about 20 of them at a store shortly before I turned a CZ527 into Grendel before they chambered for it. If the ones there none were as smooth as a new CZ. Machining was a bit rough and the bolt had quite a bit of slop. No regrets converting the CZ. About a year after I had this one done CZ finally got off their butts and started chambering for the Grendel but none of them are blueprinted, glass and pillar bedded to a custom turned Obermeyer barrel. I will keep mine for sure. Last time I fired it was on a doe at a bit over 250 yards and there was never a doubt have shot sub MOA to 600 yards which is as far as I have shot the CZ.

If you can find a Sako in PPC it would be a very good one to make a Grendel out of or that Borden action will be even smoother.

Comment

• Old Bob
              Warrior
              • Oct 2019

Hmmm... so the Zastava/Interarms mini Mauser is a sow's ear disguised as a silk purse? Too bad...
              I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• tdbru
                Warrior
                • Dec 2019

i too had a Zastava M85 / Remington 799 / Interarms mini mauser. elegant looking little rifle. but ..... the extractor was very poorly done. as noted above, it was a push feed action. but with a standard mauser pattern ejector. with a mauser pattern ejector, you have to keep lateral force against the case head with enough of a ledge on the bolt face opposite of the extractor to catch the other side of the case so that the lateral pressure would hold the case against the bolt face as you extracted the case. the M85 didn't have enough rim on the bolt face for case to get pushed tightly against and held there. so the extractor would pull the case from the chamber, but after the case was extracted about 1/2" the case would come off the bolt face and sit there in the action. i took the extractor out once and tried to bend it a wee bit to have it push a bit harder with the lateral pressure to keep the case held by the bolt face. i have since sold it. might possibly work well, with better execution and attention to details. it also had a wee bolt handle. very petite. and scaled to the petite action. but i could only get a few fingers on it and since it was short due to the petite scaling the leverage wasn't as good as a longer bolt handle. so it was a bit harder to cycle as well. but it was pretty to look at. the mini howa is much better done for a functional rifle action. and as others have noted, a custom action/barrel/stock/trigger and put together by a good 'smith is a joy, but not cheap. good luck with your decisions.
                -tdbru

Comment

• Running la briars
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2020

There is also New Ultra Lite Arms a little Pricey

Comment

• Oso Polaris
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2019

We had a Interarms Mini Mauser. The CZ527 is a better setup.

Comment

• Inspector 12
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2021

I'm currently debating on building a bolt gun in lieu of the 6.5 grendel AR that I have. Haven't shot the AR yet but know that they are harder on brass. I'm looking at the Howa mini action and an MDT chassis but am fairly new to gathering information

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-22-2021, 01:09 AM.

Comment

• rookie7
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2018

I spent 5 years trying different factory rifles. I had the thought process of "good enough" and I can do xyz over time. When I began that journey I knew I wanted a custom rifle.

After 5 years and 5 rifles I realized I was never going to be happy until I knew for myself the difference between custom and factory.

There is a difference. The "worth" of the difference is subjective to every person.

My advice? Buy a custom action and build.

The pros to the Howa are appropriate size and price.

If you have the funds, go custom. If you don't like it you can always sell it easier than most.

I recommend the Zermatt Arms Bighorn Origin. Many people run this action with BR sized cartridges and Grendel based cartridges without issue.

The bolt lift is nice, but mine was tuned by Zermatt to be zero cock on close - keeps you on target.

As far as a factory action? Nothing I have ever felt comes close to a Tikka t3.

I can expand on the "why" in regards to the Origin if you would like, but don't want to waste your time if you already know.

Comment

• fasteddie
                            Unwashed
                            • Apr 2020

Originally posted by rookie7 View Post
                            I recommend the Zermatt Arms Bighorn Origin. Many people run this action with BR sized cartridges and Grendel based cartridges without issue.

The bolt lift is nice, but mine was tuned by Zermatt to be zero cock on close - keeps you on target.

As far as a factory action? Nothing I have ever felt comes close to a Tikka t3.

I can expand on the "why" in regards to the Origin if you would like, but don't want to waste your time if you already know.
                            I'm actually considering the Origin. Feel free to go into "why", if nothing else but to convince me more. How do you compare it to the tikka?

Comment

• rookie7
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2018

Actions and glass are so subjective in feel, etc. I have handeled Defiance and Stiller actions, and thought they were nothing special compared to a Tikka, or even a well worn older Remington.

However, we know they are "better" b/c they are built with tighter tolerances.

The Tikka action when running the bolt front to back etc. almost feels like it is on glass. Nice bolt open and close as well with the Tikka. You can also get shouldered pre-fit for the Tikkas, and it has (IMO) the best factory trigger available. ( I have owned a CTR and the TAC A1)

The problem? Break something on that Tikka and get it replaced. Beretta's reputation isn't blemish free.

The Origin is nicer than any factory action I have run - Howa, Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Tikka, and Browning - edit - and CZ.

The pro's to the origin - bolt head change for $125, shouldered pre-fit barrels - very easy to do and no guages required, Remington footprint - so any accessory, rail, trigger, etc fits.

Comes with a picatinny rail and pinned lug from factory. The current production actions are stainless instead of chrome moly, but are still salt-bath nitride.

If you find the Grendel in this action doesn't suit you - very easy to convert to a different caliber.

I have a single stage Calvin Elite in mine. I sent the trigger to Zermatt when I ordered the action. They installed it - tuned the trigger and action for zero cock on close - and then removed the trigger prior to shipping for safety.

I have a TriggerTech in a different rifle, and like it much better than the Calvin Elite. If you don't have a preference I strongly recommend TriggerTech.

Instead of buying from a vendor, I also recommend sending your trigger to Zermatt and let them install it (for free) and tune it and the action. I could have a saved a few $$ when I bought mine - from Brownell's - but it was worth it to me to pay the full price and have it tuned by Zermatt.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X