• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 6.5G Master
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2021

Please help me either buy, assemble or build a lightweight deer rifle

After tons of research I have settled on the 6.5 Grendel as the ideal whitetail rife for my family to hunt with. I want to get one setup for smaller shooters and for shooting and hunting suppressed at all times (hence the light weight requirement). I'm not a huge guy but 13-13.5" LOP for me is about right but my wife and son will need 12-12.5" or maybe less. I'm trying to keep the gun + stock under $600 and will plan to use a fixed 6X scope so my total cost should be ~$1100.

What are my options for off the shelf guns that fix my descriptions? With hunting being the primary goal for this gun should I get a sporter barrel and save some weight on the front since there will be a can up there or is a 20" heavy barrel going to be more stable with can?

Seems a bit difficult to find existing rifles in stock that fit my description so if I need to assemble one, can I get it done within my budget?

THX!
  • jbmarshtx
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

I think that your best bet will be the Ruger American. There are a few howa mini barreled actions at brownells, and you could get a boyds or howa stock for those within your budget. Heck, I've got a boyds that I'm considering selling.

I don't shoot suppressed so I can't answer that, but the howa HB is not that 'heavy'. My rifle with DNZ mounts, vortex 2-10, and sling weighs 8.5#.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Get the suppressor ready cz 527 in grendel, you will take me later.

Comment

• 6.5G Master
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2021

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
        Get the suppressor ready cz 527 in grendel, you will take me later.

Comment

• Lemonaid
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

You did not state preference of bolt action or gas gun or even pistol gas gun. I like the Ruger American Predator--22 inch barrel. "I like it so much, I bought the company!" Well, not really but I do have three of them now.
          A gas gun with adjustable length stock might be of use for multi-users of the same rifle. I think it's possible with your budget.

Comment

• 6.5G Master
            Unwashed
            • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
            You did not state preference of bolt action or gas gun or even pistol gas gun. I like the Ruger American Predator--22 inch barrel. "I like it so much, I bought the company!" Well, not really but I do have three of them now.
            A gas gun with adjustable length stock might be of use for multi-users of the same rifle. I think it's possible with your budget.
            Good point! I forgot to mention that I am looking for a bolt gun. I much prefer the simplicity and sound reduction of a suppressed bolt rifle.

Comment

• riuma
              Warrior
              • Jun 2018

I have the standard American and the Varmint. I have often wished the Varmint came with a 20" threaded pipe to keep the OAL reasonable. As it stands, the bloody rifle -accurate tho it may be- is pretty ungainly. Until I decide whether or not to lop five inches from the barrel, I have resolved myself to shooting the more svelte American unsuppressed for hunting. Deadly accurate and handles beautifully. Makes deer fall down and not get up -muley and whitetail both. ~Riuma

Comment

• MaineAR
                Warrior
                • Sep 2018

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-19-2021, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

16binch with 120 gold dot or 129 ablr will give you all the killing power you need inside 300 yards.

Comment

• runner gunner
                      Bloodstained
                      • May 2019

I use a Howa with the heavy barrel and run a Griffin Sportsman 300 can on it. It's a LITTLE on the longish side but not terribly ungainly. It's deadly accurate with 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. I also have a built AR pistol with a 12.5" barrel that I run the same can on. It's my go to deer killer, with the SBA 4 adjustable brace it's very handy. Also very accurate with the 110 gr Controlled Chaos handloads I use. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Comment

• 6.5G Master
                        Unwashed
                        • Jun 2021

Comment

• Oso Polaris
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2019

The CZ bolt handle /scope interference was resolved several years back. The factory handle is now longer to provided the necessary clearance around the typical scope. The only thing that you might contemplate is at some point upgrading the bolt knob to something like the Badger Ordanance's Mini-knob.

As to the Howa you are going to need to buy replacement bottom metal and then it may also require fitting into you stock (not a straight drop in). If you plan to use an aftermarket bottom metal that also incorporates an internal magazine, such as Oregunsmithing's model, then you may also want/need to do a bedding job. Regardless of which aftermarket stock you buy, they are inlet for the factory Howa plastic bottom trigger guard and the removable magazines, which is pretty wide. I found this opening to be much larger than what is needed for the replacement internal magazine, forcing me to do some backfilling around the magwell. This might not be essential, but I feel better knowing that everything is locked in place and no risk of it shaking loose or out of alignment.

Comment

• 6.5G Master
                            Unwashed
                            • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Oso Polaris View Post
                            The CZ bolt handle /scope interference was resolved several years back. The factory handle is now longer to provided the necessary clearance around the typical scope. The only thing that you might contemplate is at some point upgrading the bolt knob to something like the Badger Ordanance's Mini-knob.

As to the Howa you are going to need to buy replacement bottom metal and then it may also require fitting into you stock (not a straight drop in). If you plan to use an aftermarket bottom metal that also incorporates an internal magazine, such as Oregunsmithing's model, then you may also want/need to do a bedding job. Regardless of which aftermarket stock you buy, they are inlet for the factory Howa plastic bottom trigger guard and the removable magazines, which is pretty wide. I found this opening to be much larger than what is needed for the replacement internal magazine, forcing me to do some backfilling around the magwell. This might not be essential, but I feel better knowing that everything is locked in place and no risk of it shaking loose or out of alignment.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Underwood Ammo has flat rate shipping on a wide selection of premium ammunition. Shop today for specialized self-defense and hunting ammo and more
                              Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-20-2021, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X