Howa Mini 22" $429, went to look at RAR, it was gone, liked the Howa so bought it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raamaudio
    Warrior
    • Aug 2020

Howa Mini 22" $429, went to look at RAR, it was gone, liked the Howa so bought it.

EDIT, I get a bit long winded, obviously, here is a bullet list of where this project is right now.

20210731_182730.jpg
    Better pics to be posted when project if finished.

-Barrel down to 15.1 inches, ready to pin and weld a KAW Valley linear comp to total length of16.25" It was a lot of work to get the KAW reamed out to fit over the barrel so I could screw it on far enough to be flush with the opening in the "chamber" of it. (DIY threading just did not come out straight, very close on second try but not close enough, got it done at a great machine shop for just $20)

-DPI bottom metal and mag release.

-Trigger pull reduced, approx 2.5lbs, need a new gauge. Full polish on all trigger parts, very crisp and clean break.

-Shortened stock, added slip on Limbsaver, only thing that I could fit but I like it, 12.5" LOP.

-Shortened fore end by 5 inches, relieved barrel channel so cannot touch barrel no matter how hard I flex it, will test fire before deciding to fill the channels in the barrel.

-Cut off end of pistol grip, bored 1" and 3/4" holes 2.25" deep to remove more weight, 8 ounces removed from the stock total.

-Bored and tapped both ends of stock and threaded in Grovtec QD bases, very affordable, light weight, work great.

-Bedding, still looking at ideas for what is best for this particular setup. I relieved the plastic around the stock pillars as not flush so now metal to metal on the action and metal bottom which will help and might be enough.

-Seven round magazine mod, works great.

-Design and fab flat trigger shoe insert still in planning stages, not sure it needs it just yet.

-Sightron S-Tac 2-10x32 Scope, prefer Leupold Firedot so looking into a 2-7 or 2.5-8 Patrol but this Sightron is pretty dang nice, especially for the price. For now going to install the 1.5-4 Leupold circle Firedot I have, love it but a bit low on magnification. I just ordered a Burris E1 3-9x40 to see if I can use a 3x and be happy with it, if so it gives me more options to pick from and easier to find.

-Outer Impact rail installed. Vortex rings installed on scope but have Leupold Mountain Tech aluminum 30mm rings that weight a tiny bit more, will decide which to use after testing. I liked the lower weigh of the Talley bases but need to take the scope off easily.

-Budget, $663 without rail or optics, or tax and shipping though I paid very little for those.

-Weight, without rail or optics right around 5.25lbs, with rail, Leupold and rings will be around 6.3lbs with unloaded magazine.

I could go lighter, my AR pistol was under 5lbs with the same optic and a 12" barrel, cost 4 times as much to build, could of been 1/4lb less for another $500 but not fun to shoot with my old shoulder injuries so not going for the lightest I can build.

-------------
    Rick
    USN Retired
    Last edited by raamaudio; 09-06-2021, 06:00 PM.
  • tdbru
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

well, the B&C sporter stock is much stiffer than the factory. you may like the factory stock however, who knows? factory stock is fairly light weight though.

for bottom metal, there are several options. for using factory mags, there's DIP and i think Jefferson Outdoors also has some offerings.
    for flush bdl style bottom metal, Jefferson Outdoors and Oregon gunsmithing both have some offerings.
    i picked the JO bottom metal and have been pleased. Others who have picked the Oregon gunsmithing bottom metal have also been happy with it.

look at Leupold's light weight (ultra light?) 2x-7x or some thing like that. if you can find one the Leupold fixed 4x weighs 9 oz. Talley ringmounts will likely be the lightest way to go. not sure if they offer for the mini, you'll have to call.

if you look through the forum threads, i told how i modded the factory mags for 7 rnds. similar to what other's have done as well.

as far as trimming the barrel back, that's up to you, but however done, make sure a good crown at the muzzle results. i do not find my 22" standard barrel too long at all. still a quite handy rifle and i do like the better MV you get with longer tubes vs short tubes.

good luck and have fun!
    -tdbru

Comment

• raamaudio
      Warrior
      • Aug 2020

tdbru,
      Thanks, I have spent all the time since I posted the thread and found some very good info but missed the mag mod you did so have to look for it next

I am sure I will cut down the barrel because I just like very compact light weight things, been modding stuff to make it lighter for around 53 years now so can't stop!

After seeing the factory stock forend shortend nicely I will go that route and take out weight elsewhere as it will seem OK to do so. I will also shorten the length of pull to fit a nice recoil reduction pad I can, my shoulders just could not even handle my 4.2, 5.2lb scoped 65G AR so now it weighs around 5.5, 6.5 scoped, it helped, along with a limbsaver pad.

I sold a Leupold 2-7 last year, dang, might have to get one again as I loved that scope but for the start I have a very nice 12.4 ounce 1.5-4 circle firedot I really like so will play with it awhile.

I plan to pay a local GS to do the barrel reduction, crown and thread, $100, 2 weeks wait. I guess I should look into buying a crown die and guide, tape(likely have one, do it myself if the barrel is thin enough to get it started, I can look into that more.

Glad you like the JO bottom metal, costs less, looks great, I used to have property in that state.

Thanks again!
      Rick

Comment

• raamaudio
        Warrior
        • Aug 2020

I picked up a box of ELD ammo as well today, only one in stock, $27.99, now I have 840 of them
        Last edited by raamaudio; 08-20-2021, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• riuma
          Warrior
          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by raamaudio View Post
          I picked up a box of ELD ammo as well today, only one in stock, $27.99, now I have 740 of them
          Assuming you're saying you have 740 rounds of the ELD, you do realize that at roughly $1.40 a round you could have bought a second rifle and reloading gear?? ~Riuma

Comment

• raamaudio
            Warrior
            • Aug 2020

740 rounds of ELD and approx 950 American Gunner.

I do not shoot much so reloading is not that important to me but it is interesting, more so now so considering it. I have very little room to work as full time living in an RV and will be for quite some time, not buying into this insane real estate market, might not ever as gotten used to the RV life even though we are staying in one place for quite some time.

That said, IF, I could get a compact easy to use setup, supplies, etc, it seems it would be pretty fun

I only shoot 9mm and the 6.5 that I would be interested in reloading and have a lot of ammo for both though would consider trading some 6.5 AG and maybe some ELD for reloading gear and a bit of supplies to get started.

Looking for a scope for the Mini so might consider a trade for one as well and maybe other parts for it though I want to keep the total build very low in cost though can spend more I prefer as low cost/high performance as possible. I was my mantra for most of the many cars I modded over the years and I loved beating high bucks builds which I did many many times

-------------

I am thinking about making a trigger shoe filler, flat face with bottom lip to mount to the stock trigger, I only have a decent bench top drill press, HF cross slide vice(been looking for a good used milling table) and a decent small bench top belt/disk sander, files, dremel, etc but have created some pretty cool stuff over the decades with even less to work with.

Seriously considering sell all the AR stuff I have, all parts, tools, etc and just have one 65G rifle. I had a huge loss of income I did not expect while preparing my business to sell my manf of many years flaked out on me and I just had to close it down. IF, I can find something I would love to do, work from the RV, etc, I might start something up but way to much competition in guns as the market is pretty flooded so it would have to be something exceptional in use, quality and value to even tempt me to do so. I do not want much stuff, had the big house, race cars, tons of tools and more and do not miss much of it at all so really do not need much money so a business would be more for fun and very small scale.
            Last edited by raamaudio; 06-30-2021, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• m796rider
              Warrior
              • Jul 2011

740 rounds of ELD and approx 950 American Gunner.

I do not shoot much so reloading is not that important to me but it is interesting, more so now so considering it. I have very little room to work as full time living in an RV and will be for quite some time, not buying into this insane real estate market, might not ever as gotten used to the RV life even though we are staying in one place for quite some time.

That said, IF, I could get a compact easy to use setup, supplies, etc, it seems it would be pretty fun

I only shoot 9mm and the 6.5 that I would be interested in reloading and have a lot of ammo for both though would consider trading some 6.5 AG and maybe some ELD for reloading gear and a bit of supplies to get started.

Looking for a scope for the Mini so might consider a trade for one as well and maybe other parts for it though I want to keep the total build very low in cost though can spend more I prefer as low cost/high performance as possible. I was my mantra for most of the many cars I modded over the years and I loved beating high bucks builds which I did many many times

-------------

I am thinking about making a trigger shoe filler, flat face with bottom lip to mount to the stock trigger, I only have a decent bench top drill press, HF cross slide vice(been looking for a good used milling table) and a decent small bench top belt/disk sander, files, dremel, etc but have created some pretty cool stuff over the decades with even less to work with.

Seriously considering sell all the AR stuff I have, all parts, tools, etc and just have one 65G rifle. I had a huge loss of income I did not expect while preparing my business to sell my manf of many years flaked out on me and I just had to close it down. IF, I can find something I would love to do, work from the RV, etc, I might start something up but way to much competition in guns as the market is pretty flooded so it would have to be something exceptional in use, quality and value to even tempt me to do so. I do not want much stuff, had the big house, race cars, tons of tools and more and do not miss much of it at all so really do not need much money so a business would be more for fun and very small scale.
              All that actually sounds kinda cool... It's hard not to accumulate tons of crap if you live in a house with a decent basement and garage.

If you're going to reload for a bolt gun, you don't need much stuff at all. Honestly, you could probably not even trim brass and be fine. So maybe just a single stage press (I like my Hornady LnL), a set of dies, an electronic powder measure (saves tons of time, so easy to use), and a little ultrasonic cleaner to wet-clean your brass. If you want to make life easier and you have room, get a dedicated decapper for your primer (I just use a Lee portable press) and a hand primer with the little tray to feed primers (I have one from RCBS).

Of course you'll need some little stuff like reloading trays and powder funnels, but those things can literally fit in a junk drawer.

As for supplies, primers and bullets are tiny and you can make one 8lb jug of powder go a long way due to Grendel's small case capacity.

Comment

• raamaudio
                Warrior
                • Aug 2020

When we sold our house, after selling off my bigger tools including vehicle lift, some of the furniture, tons of race car parts...we still filled two of the biggest Penske trucks, had a trailer behind one of them and barely had room left in the 43' toyhauler. Rented 1050 sq ft of storage, some stacked 13' high, thought we might buy a place, slowly getting ride of it all after finally deciding no house and if ever get one a very small one on some remote land....

I could use a bit more income but have not had a job since I retired from the Navy, ran my own business from home for many years, going to keep it that way
                I will see if the flat trigger idea pans our and consider magazines as well, not started as a business intent but those are something I could do in a very small space. We are staying in the same place for long term, love it here, bought a 59 Boles Aero to remodel for travel, building a little shop to work in for hobbies, etc....

What would be the low bucks but decent setup budget I would need to plan if I want to do decent reloading?

If anything more for the hobby of reloading than saving on ammo as I have more than I might ever shoot as it is, unless I sell some that is.

But, it would be fun to see what I could get out of a 16" barrel, accuracy and velocity wise.

Comment

• raamaudio
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2020

Sightron S-Tac 2-10x32, HHR2 reticle, just bought one on Dvor for a great price, stated weight is 16.3 but one review weighed it at 15.8 ounces.

I wanted illuminated but this will work out OK for now at least.

I will probably sell one of my beloved Leupold 1.5-4 circle fire dot scopes as have two of them, bought one for a fully custom "10/22" and liked it so much put one on a 65G AR even though a bit short on magnification.

Need to see what height mounts I need, looking at the Talley 30mm, low price, super low weight, low price....I could buy a rail and use the Leupold Mountain Tactical low rings I have but adds a bit more weight, the rings are only 3.2 ounces so not a huge difference running them with a rail....
                  Last edited by raamaudio; 09-06-2021, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• riuma
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2018

I will be very interested in how this rig shoots.~Riuma

Comment

• raamaudio
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2020

Me too

I wanted one of the Vortex scopes in the optics thread, 2-10, illuminated or the HD version none illuminated but to keep in budget and had to buy it before the sale ended ordered the Sightron, hope I like it!

I would of held off for the SWFA 9.6 ounce scope if they had a date of when expected to receive more inventory. If they get more and I can get a sale or a decent military discount I might give one a try unless I really like the Sightron.

Actually I expect it to shoot as well as any Howa, great or not quite so great but not bad. I will shoot it before I cut down the barrel just in case I get a lemon.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2017

Me too

I wanted one of the Vortex scopes in the optics thread, 2-10, illuminated or the HD version none illuminated but to keep in budget and had to buy it before the sale ended ordered the Sightron, hope I like it!

I would of held off for the SWFA 9.6 ounce scope if they had a date of when expected to receive more inventory. If they get more and I can get a sale or a decent military discount I might give one a try unless I really like the Sightron.

Actually I expect it to shoot as well as any Howa, great or not quite so great but not bad. I will shoot it before I cut down the barrel just in case I get a lemon.

Comment

• raamaudio
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2020

I did look into the SWFA but it said out of stock
                          Thanks,
                          Rick
                          Last edited by raamaudio; 07-05-2021, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 07-06-2021, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• raamaudio
                              Warrior
                              • Aug 2020

I read it correctly then responded incorrectly, ooops!

No, I have not looked through one nor seen one, it is still on my list along with a Leupod 3-9 Firedot TMR as the reticle is pretty close to the 1.5-4 Circle Firedot that I have. I would prefer a 2 or 2.5 to 8 or 10 and they make a 2-10 Firedot but no "hashmarks" in the reticle and of course much more money.

I might end up running the 1.5-4 on it and see what I can do at longer ranges, not a target build but if I can get decent groups at the 400 yard range here it might be all I really need.
                              Last edited by raamaudio; 07-07-2021, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X