• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trumpet
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2016

Howa mini action scope rings...

So I have everything I need to finish my .223 build except the scope rings. I have a Vortex Diamondback tactical 4-16x44 on the way. Rifle is a 20" HB and I'm using an EGW base. That being the case will Vortex or Burris XTR low rings work? Or, should I go with medium?
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

With a Pic rail the low rings will work. I have that 4-16x44 DB tactical mounted, well on a RAP but I've had them on the howa too. The rail gives you a bit more height so you should be gtg.
    I use the vortex rings, get the tac ones in a pair (about $38) that way they are matched. the ones with 3 torx screws to a side on top. I don't like the QD style, they have come loose on me (don't remember if they were vortex or what), so I always get the ones without that little throw lever.
    I have not tried the burris ones so can't speak to them.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

I have never had a scope mounting problem with Burris rings and use them on quite a few rifles that are a lot harder on them than the Grendel. My 50BMG had the 30mm Burris rings on it and the scope stayed in place for lots of shooting
      Last edited by kmon; 08-07-2021, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• Trumpet
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2016

thanks. I looked at the cheapie Vortex but some of the reviews weren't so hot, and even Vortex recommended lapping them if using them with a scope. SO, I went with a set of the Weaver "six hole" tactical rings.

Comment

• PaulieV
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2021

I've got that same scope on a 6.5 Grendel mini sporter using MDT 20 MOA base and MDT rings. Clearance is fine although tight, I doubt I'll get a bigger bolt knob on there if I wanted one. Stock fit is good with the standard stock.

Comment

• Oso Polaris
            Warrior
            • Apr 2019

I have the same setup with MDT Rail and medium rings. I have installed the Badger Ordnance Mini-tactical knob on a couple of my CZ 527's and it is right-sized for this platform. At some point I will also do same bolt knob upgrade to the Howa Mini.

Comment

Working...
            X