• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paringa
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2021

New to the 6.5G. Build commenced

Attached Files
    Last edited by Paringa; 11-18-2021, 08:33 AM.
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

G'Day Paringa,

Welcome.

I've used BM2 with the 100NBT and settled on 28.6gn in a Lapua case at 58mm OAL. 2,505fps out of a 19" barrel. BM2 is fast, even for the light 6.5 bullets and I only used it because we had no 8208 in the state at the time. I recommend 8208 for bullets up to 120gns and 2206H for 120 and above. the heavier bullets are good for range but if you're shooting game then light and fast is what I would do (and you're obviously already doing it).

I like the 100and 120NBT's.

I use a 6mm expander ball in a Forster FL die. So, for all but the most dinged cases the ball never touches the inside neck.

Klem

Comment

• Paringa
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2021

Comment

• Paringa
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2021

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Mate,

The deal is fired cases are only getting sized on the outside of the neck. Without the expander ball you get more neck tension than if the expander ball is used. With outside neck sizing the necks still come out nice and round. A Forster FL sizer without the ball it is .004" of neck tension. With the ball it is .0035" so not much difference.

With a Redding die, without the ball it is a whopping .009 of neck tension, but with the ball it is only .0005" so a huge difference between using the ball and not.

Not necessary for bolt guns but in semi-autos the gorilla grip is preferred.

Sometime back I bent the depriming pin and stem and had to get a replacement. BRT Supplies did not have a Grendel decapping unit so I got a 6PPC which uses the same stem but smaller ball. I only need the stem to decap so I may as well leave the 6mm ball on it even though it doesn't touch the inside neck of the cases. If ever a case has a decent ding in it the 6mm expander ball will round it out enough that the bullet being seated will act as a mandrel.

Comment

• Paringa
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2021

Still confused bud. Am I understanding that you are running a 6.5G sizing die, but with a 6PPC stem and ball? So you are only contracting the necks and not expanding again? Im guessing from the photo, top is sized, so ur running 4thou neck tension?

Comment

Working...
            X