• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1Merlin
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2022

Need a stock for a Howa mini

Trying to determine what stock to order for a Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel HB barreled action. (Not yet ordered) I understand from my reading here that the factory stock leaves much to be desired so I am asking for information. Going to use the rifle for NRA HP Metallic Silhouette competition. Generally speaking need an stock not to exceed ~2.5 lbs. and with as high of a comb as possible. Cost is a factor. From what I am seeing to this point a Bell and Carlson or a walnut Boyd's Prairie Hunter are my best options.

Your suggestions and opinions are welcome...

Thanks!

And this is my first post here. Seems like a great place to learn.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I replied to your PM also. I've had the prairie hunter, for me it was a bit too blocky and you might need to re-center the barrel in the groove.
    In B&C you'd want to get the M40 version if youhave the howa HB, that barrel channel can take HB but the regular stock is only for the #2 style thin barrels.
    I don't know what the prairie hunter runs nowadays but even though it might look a bit less expensive you may wind up spending just as much on it, doing that "minor inletting/fitting" they always talk about (plus changing out the cheap-o bottom plastic...). the B&C's run about $320. No inletting/fiddling to speak of. Fit up of the bottom plastic/metal is typically good on the B&C they worked hard on that. Still might want to do the metal conversion there, however. DIP-Inc, Oregunsmithing, hokeypokey-kid, (Jefferson-something), these last 2 are on the forum, or used to be anyways.
    If you have some AR lower parts on hand a chassis can be had on sale for ~300.
    Howa's grendel is a good shootin' rifle.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• MonsterShooter
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2021

I have the Bell and Carlson

Comment

• Oso Polaris
        Warrior
        • Apr 2019

I have the B&C M40 and it works nicely. Depending upon your scope rings you may need a cheek riser (Kydex cheek riser or buttstock cover with cheek rest) with this stock.

Your biggest question is "Do you need your rifle to feed reliably?" The Howa factory magazines are POS compared to other polymer magazines, and unfortunately there are no aftermarket magazines. For some people the factory mags work fine and for others it is hit or miss on reliability. Others have bought several extra magazines just to identify a few magazines that work and properly feeding all of the rounds in the magazine. As a result I replaced the bottom metal and factory magazines with Oregunsmith's internal blind magazine/bottom metal.

If you need to shoot multiple-shot strings rapidly (not single-shot) then I would be tempted to use another bolt rifle, such as Ruger American or other standard short action, or if possible go with a AR15 platform. Do a search on the Magazine Failure issue because it may affect your plans for using it in competition.

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
          Warrior
          • Sep 2018

If cost is a factor go with Boyd's but be prepared to bed it for best fit and accuracy,
          the Bell and Carlson m40 stock would be my first choice if you need a good solution with minimal fuss.

I second Oso's comment on the factory magazines, they are marginal.

Comment

• 1Merlin
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2022

Are the Bell and Carlson stocks solid or filled?

Comment

• Harpoon1
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by 1Merlin View Post
              Are the Bell and Carlson stocks solid or filled?
              61208F82-06FF-4E11-9938-5A877837119A.jpeg
              Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-25-2022, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• 1Merlin
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2022

What is the stock pictured? Looks good... What does this stock weight?

Comment

• Harpoon1
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2017

F6C03A6D-5F23-4F03-A9A2-A67C311162F7.jpeg
                  Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-25-2022, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

The B&C are solid stocks, not air filled.
                    It's some kind of fiberglass/kevlar something like that.
                    With an aluminum bedding center running all the way through.
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Old Bob
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2019

I have an Oregunsmithing Pendleton stock on my Howa mini with DIP, Inc aluminum bottom metal. The Pendleton stock was a little disappointing. The heavy Howa barrel didn't fit in the stock. I had to sand the channel until the barrel was a free-float fit. It took me about a half hour. Also, when the stock screws are torqued to 55 inch lbs, the barrel & action tend to lean to the left. If I put a wedge between the barrel & the stock to push things to the right before tightening, the action will sit centered in the stock. I guess I'm gonna eventually glass bed it so it always centers whenever I have to remove & reinstall the action. I like the stock. It fits me well. When I pick up the rifle & shoulder it, my eyeball is perfectly lined up with my scope mounted in low rings.

I replaced the floor plates on my Howa magazines with the aluminum floor plates from DIP. It's not to improve functioning but to make them a tad sturdier. If a full mag were accidentally dropped on a hard surface, they are less likely to crack. I've had no problems with the Howa mags. I have 4 & they all function well.
                      Last edited by Old Bob; 01-25-2022, 05:49 PM.
                      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Owyhee H
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
                        I have an Oregunsmithing Pendleton stock on my Howa mini with DIP, Inc aluminum bottom metal. The Pendleton stock was a little disappointing. The heavy Howa barrel didn't fit in the stock. I had to sand the channel until the barrel was a free-float fit. It took me about a half hour. Also, when the stock screws are torqued to 55 inch lbs, the barrel & action tend to lean to the left. If I put a wedge between the barrel & the stock to push things to the right before tightening, the action will sit centered in the stock. I guess I'm gonna eventually glass bed it so it always centers whenever I have to remove & reinstall the action. I like the stock. It fits me well. When I pick up the rifle & shoulder it, my eyeball is perfectly lined up with my scope mounted in low rings.

I replaced the floor plates on my Howa magazines with the aluminum floor plates from DIP. It's not to improve functioning but to make them a tad sturdier. If a full mag were accidentally dropped on a hard surface, they are less likely to crack. I've had no problems with the Howa mags. I have 4 & they all function well.
                        I have a Pendleton stock as well and inquired to the torque for action screws. They recommend 35ft lbs. I am more accustomed to 50-55 but will follow the manufacturers recommendation. I have the 20" lightweight barrel and am lucky enough to be in the general area so was able to have them custom bed for the small barrel profile. So far, no complaints.

I have bell and carlson stocks on several other rifles and have liked most of them.

Comment

• Old Bob
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Owyhee H View Post
                          I have a Pendleton stock as well and inquired to the torque for action screws. They recommend 35ft lbs. I am more accustomed to 50-55 but will follow the manufacturers recommendation. I have the 20" lightweight barrel and am lucky enough to be in the general area so was able to have them custom bed for the small barrel profile. So far, no complaints.

I have bell and carlson stocks on several other rifles and have liked most of them.
                          I believe the 35 inch lbs (Howa's spec) is for the original plastic bottom "metal." You should be able to easily torque DIP aluminum or Oregunsmithing's flat bottom metal up to 55 inch lbs.
                          I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Owyhee H
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
                            I believe the 35 inch lbs (Howa's spec) is for the original plastic bottom "metal." You should be able to easily torque DIP aluminum or Oregunsmithing's flat bottom metal up to 55 inch lbs.
                            Im sure you can, but this was direct from Wayne after he put it together. His bottom metal too.

With metal bottom metal and a bell and carlson or any other stock with metal pillars or bedding block I go to 50-55ft lbs. Even with a couple of stocks that are solid epoxy, I use 50ft lbs. Seems light to go with 35 but there is an acceptable range.

Some people (I think especially with the ruger angled front screw) adjust their torque to tune their groups. I have never done this myself but try to consistently set the torque. Proper bedding should alleviate any potential changes due to torque.

Comment

• 1Merlin
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2022

Just pulled the trigger on the Bell and Carlson M40 style with another inch in the LoP. My barreled action get here tomorrow so looks like I will soon be ready to go. One thing I just thought of is action screws... Do they come with the rifle?

Comment

Working...
                              X