• Paringa
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2021

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

JC,

Tuners are not popular around my way, even among the bench resters. Results are inconsistent relative to far more influential variables. It is difficult to isolate shooting variables to see how much, if any, influence a tuner has on the rifle.

If you are shooting an AR or even a standard bolt gun I would save your money. You will be end up in confirmatory bias wondering whether it was the tuner that caused the bullet to go where it did.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
        Warrior
        • Nov 2018

Tuners are nothing new.
        I think Remington even had a rifle with a tuner on it.
        Looked something like this.

Tuners can have a humongous effect.
        Shoot 3 rounds, remove your flash-hider, shoot three rounds, add a muzzle brake, shoot three more rounds.
        I guarantee your three groups will be in three distinct locations.
        When I removed my pepper-pot muzzle brake from a Mauser action 35 Whelen I had a 3 inch vertical shift at 50 yards!
        It is the same concept.
        All a tuner is doing is shifting a weight at the end of your barrel to change how it vibrates when the cartridge deflagrates.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Happy,

I think we have different definitions of what a tuner is.

I absolutely agree that shooting with or without a suppressor changes the MPI and increases velocity. The added weight on the barrel and influence on the exiting gasses is profound. Same with, and without a muzzle brake and it's influence on how exiting gasses influence the bullet and barrel rise. Big differences to barrel weight and gas direction has a noticeable effect.

But a tuner is different. Plenty of discussion online about whether they work or not for the reading. I saw one F Class shooter with a heavy match rifle over a few months use one and eventually take it off because it made no noticeable improvement in groups.

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Be careful using any muzzle device... For accuracy, I won't torque any higher than 15 foot pounds. The torque will actually compress the barrel that can be measured with a muzzle erosion gauge..The higher the torque, the higher the compression..This is why barrels that require a high torque setting with a suppressor will have un-even bore wear at the muzzle and will be less accurate over time when the suppressor is removed..

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
              Warrior
              • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Klem View Post
              Happy,

I think we have different definitions of what a tuner is.

I absolutely agree that shooting with or without a suppressor changes the MPI and increases velocity. The added weight on the barrel and influence on the exiting gasses is profound. Same with, and without a muzzle brake and it's influence on how exiting gasses influence the bullet and barrel rise. Big differences to barrel weight and gas direction has a noticeable effect.

But a tuner is different. Plenty of discussion online about whether they work or not for the reading. I saw one F Class shooter with a heavy match rifle over a few months use one and eventually take it off because it made no noticeable improvement in groups.
              Of course I will accept actual experience with a tuner.

I suspect the effects of using a barrel tuner are similar to the technique of adjusting seating depth. Sometimes it really does work, and other times you were already at the best you could do and you make it worse.

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                Warrior
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by montana View Post
                Be careful using any muzzle device... For accuracy, I won't torque any higher than 15 foot pounds. The torque will actually compress the barrel that can be measured with a muzzle erosion gauge..The higher the torque, the higher the compression..This is why barrels that require a high torque setting with a suppressor will have un-even bore wear at the muzzle and will be less accurate over time when the suppressor is removed..
                Montana I am having a difficult time visualizing the force that compresses the muzzle. The threads pull back in the direction the muzzle, but are stopped by the thread-barrel-shoulder with proper undercut. I don't doubt it, especially if it can be measured with with gage pins. Could you explain it?

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Not much more to explain that what I stated before..Torque on muzzle threads compresses the bore...The more the torque, the more the compression.. Anyone with a muzzle erosion gauge can verify this...Measure the bore before and after torquing any muzzle device...

Comment

• JCart
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2021

Comment

• Remington Jim
                      Bloodstained
                      • Apr 2020

Even tuner

This is going to be Interesting

Comment

• Happy2Shoot
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2018

@JCart have had a chance to shoot with it yet?

Comment

• JCart
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2021

Comment

• Growler
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Happy2Shoot
                            Montana I am having a difficult time visualizing the force that compresses the muzzle. The threads pull back in the direction the muzzle, but are stopped by the thread-barrel-shoulder with proper undercut. I don't doubt it, especially if it can be measured with with gage pins. Could you explain it?

Comment

• grayfox
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2017

The forces I have experienced came from using a crush washer. Since the washer does not align totally concentric and since it deforms (radial-wise) non-uniformly, it puts a non-concentric force on both the muzzle device and the barrel-tip. For any muzzle device I now use either an accuwasher system or jam nut to keep everything uniform around the bore and barrel.
                              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X