• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trail Dust
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2022

TC Encore barrel

I'm steadily talking myself into a 6.5 grendel barrel for my encore. I have a couple other calibers from match grade machine that I'm pretty happy with but I was looking at the SSK offerings as well. SSK has their hunter grade barrels for a couple hundred dollars less and I'm wondering if any one has experience with one of these. If you have one what do you think of it?

When I asked SSK they said the hunter grade is a mass produced blank and the premium grade is a Douglas blank. For the money I will probably go for MGM before SSK premium. It would mostly be for range use and plinking and I'm currently leaning towards a 24" or 26" since my plans for this one do not involve a whole lot of carrying around. Anyone got thoughts, opinions, or preferences between the various encore/ contender barrel makers?
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

Have you looked at Bullberry Barrel Works? https://www.bullberrylegacy.com/

Mine worked very well. If I recall correctly, the blank was from PacNor. https://pac-nor.com/ and Bullberry chambered it using my Manson reamer.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Trail Dust
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2022

Now I have. They seem to be in the same price range and I have been curious about their hangar system. So looks like they are at the top of the list now.

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

EABCO is another to look at, their custom accuracy barrels there is a wait time on but they do make good products. https://www.eabco.net/thompson-center-barrels.html
        Last edited by kmon; 08-06-2022, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Singleshotsam
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2016

I have a half dozen T/C barrels, 2 of them EABCO, very pleased with them. If you are going to do it get the whole set up and trigger job to start with. It will shoot too good to take apart after you dial it in so start with that in mind. That is most likely where you will end up.

Comment

• Trail Dust
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2022

I already have a setup and a few barrels dropped new springs in immediately I don't recall if I did any slight polishing or not. This would be another barrel for something to target shoot several hundred yards cheaper or better than my other options that are in the safe. And because the grendel is neat and I would be able to seat bullets out long.

This thread has been hibernating a while and will likely continue to do so. Some other financial priorities have emerged and so it will be an unknown amount of time before this particular project gets funding.

Comment

• se3388
              Warrior
              • Sep 2011

I have an MGM G2 rifle barrel in 6.5 Grendel and it absolutely fantastic in finish (stainless) and a literal tack driver. I took a very nice big body 8 point here opening weekend of Deer Season with it at 182 yds. I hit within about 1.5 inches from my aiming point, I was using a tree to lean against. I have had various barrels from all three makers mentioned but since Mike Sirois (OTT) doesn't make barrels anymore my next choice would be MGM then Bullberry and SSK. They all make top notch barrels but that is just my choice.

Steve..........
              Last edited by se3388; 12-23-2022, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X