• Stinky Coyote
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

My Ruger Merican Ranch - 2022 mid year refresh

IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg

Most of you have likely read about this rifle a bit but thought I'd pull the duplex reticle Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9x40 and try the Mil-dot version. The whole reason I shoot this rifle/cartridge combo is that I place versatility and efficiency above almost all things. I apply that to many things in life not just bang sticks. Can drive it from dial up or mil-dot now.

I cut the mag springs down as per a thread on here somewhere and that sure reduced the stiffer first couple rounds loading. These bolt actions sure don't need the stiff spring retention the gas guns use, great mod! Cumulative with polishing the underside of the bolt, rifle being well broken in, and a fresh clean/lube...this thing cycles like butter now and outside of a tikka/sako...cycles like any other decent rifle right from first round. Anyone, including the kids, will drive it flawlessly.

So a recap of the details.

Ruger American Ranch 6.5 Grendel
    Trijicon accuPoint 3-9x40 green mil-dot
    Kenton industries speed dial elevation turret
    Talley 1" low rings
    Mdt Lss-xl gen2 chassis with 3.0 oz machined out of it and re-cerakoted in magpul fde.
    Magpul ctr butt stock
    Magpul moe-k grip
    Strike industries buffer tube
    Butler creek flip objective flip cap
    M-lok front sling QD attachment
    M-lok short picatinny (for light/laser or whatever)
    C-products 10 round 7.62x39 ar pistol mags

Add 6 oz for 10 rounds in the magazine you're just over 8.5 lbs loaded and 6.5 ft/lbs recoil energy with Hornady Black 123gr Eld-M, which is shoots at 2386 fps and 3/4 moa 3-shot groups average.

Rifle takes down to 26 1/4", the castle nut is loctite on the buffer tube so you can spin the butt stock off and on to the same spot repeatably for backpack stuffing on mountain hunts etc. And due to recoil energy and adjustable lop anyone can and does shoot it very well...a family, loaner, introduction and training rifle. Made possible by unlimited barrel life and affordable premium ammo. Watching impacts and ability to stay in scope through shots is a huge benefit and having 10 rounds on tap while staying in scope is very effective and a lot of fun as well.

Trigger is stock, came at 3.0 lbs, left it alone.

Aside from some machine/cerakote work on the chassis this is a 100% kitchen table build and would be replicated easily with a new chassis, just add 3.0 oz back into the weight you see there.

The chassis magazine release button bolt has been shortened to recess the button so no accidental mag release while hunting and handling by the kids in blinds etc. That quick easy mod came as a result of a missed opportunity on a whitetail doe for one of the kids while hunting from a blind. First shot was a miss, but since magazine button had been tripped it wouldn't pick up the second round for follow up and second shot opportunity was lost. We don't need to do fast magazine swaps so definitely a hunter friendly mod.

This one from 200 yard zero can either dial up to just over 500 yards or now there's 5 mil points of aim below zero on the reticle at 9x. Those mil-points are on the decal along with corresponding 10 kmh wind holds and have added ability to play to 620 yards for range work or coyotes. Big game will be limited to ~400 yards. Our data is set for 25 inhg & 5c temp (5000' and 41f) as we live at 4000' and play from 3500' to 8500' for our coyotes to sheep ranges.

The love affair continues. I do not miss the Howa's or CZ and would not go down that road again, you know me as a tinkerer and try it all trying to get max versatility and efficiency and I spent a bunch of money in this Grendel game with 2 custom Howa's and one custom CZ. Ended up with a disdain for all things Howa/Legacy through this process! Lots of respect for CZ and without the Ruger that's what I would shoot.

This rig as perfect as I can currently put together for a max versatile 21st century rifle and cartridge combination to meet our big game and predator hunting needs. And at 4.5 seasons in with 100% success on 12 head of big game to 420 yards, half by me and half by my kids...just going to keep on trucking.
    Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 09-04-2022, 05:23 PM.
  • CJW
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Stinky great read, thanks

Comment

• DiamondD
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2019

I like that chassis. I have been kicking around the thought of one of these or the 22" version of the Ruger. I have an 18" and a 12" AR uppers so I am really leaning toward a 22" Ruger.

Comment

Working...
      X