• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Six5x39
    Warrior
    • Sep 2017

My howa is still in the game

Ever since I build 6.5CM out of tikka sitting on krg bravo for target shooting ( it gets used more since I got the lefty version ) it just feels right to me .

The grendel was getting neglected and i decided to build mountain rifle . It wasn't easy to finds a shop that will willing to recontour the barrel to begin with . If I they were , I might as well scrap and start with a new barrel for the price they were asking . But I kept looking and found a shop that specializes in savage and owner charged me 100plus shipping both way for cut to 20" , profile to #6 contour and crown . I decide wth . If there are accuracy loss , I'm down 155 bucks . Plus 70 bucks on factory take off stock I purchased from here . I put on spare scope and rings and waiting on some range time soon if time permits .

Before

Now
  • 1Merlin
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2022

Nice clean and functional. Looks very good to me.

Comment

• EastTNHunter
      Warrior
      • Jul 2021

Comment

• Six5x39
        Warrior
        • Sep 2017

^ I will have to agree with you . It weights in at 8lb.14oz w/o ammo . I noticed D.I.P makes bottom metal and do you think it's worth upgrading ?

Comment

• CazadorBob
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2018

I used bottom metal on both my Howa rifles and think they are great. I went with Jefferson Outdoors, he does real good work.

Comment

• garyrapp55
            Warrior
            • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Six5x39 View Post
            I noticed D.I.P makes bottom metal and do you think it's worth upgrading ?
            If you are using the factory bottom plastic, yes. I have both DIP w/ factory mags and Jefferson conversion to CZ mags. They are both good.

Comment

• EastTNHunter
              Warrior
              • Jul 2021

I bought the DIP conversion from a member on here and I really like it over the factory plastic

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
                Warrior
                • Sep 2018

If you are happy with the plastic magazine, than you should get the DIP trigger guard because it is a worthwhile upgrade.
                It at least allows you to torque your action screws without cracking your trigger guard.

Comment

• Six5x39
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2017

Yea I already have 2 factory plastic magazines and I have no issues using them . Thanks ! I will probably go with Dip . Liking their trigger guard more . I'll have to test the accuracy first before I dump money on bottom metal . I'll report back .

Comment

• EastTNHunter
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2021

Comment

• Six5x39
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2017

I was able to put some morning range time . Once zeroed , I tested using factory American gunner bulk ammo and hornady SST . It didn't like the sst much . In overall I had slightly better groups with the howa chassis for sure . I did notice the barrel is touching the facotry stock . I used dollar bill and slipped under the barrel but it was getting caught . Do you guys think if I sand em down so barrel isn't touching , maybe It could help with the accuracy ? Thanks

Comment

• Old Bob
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Six5x39 View Post
                        I was able to put some morning range time . Once zeroed , I tested using factory American gunner bulk ammo and hornady SST . It didn't like the sst much . In overall I had slightly better groups with the howa chassis for sure . I did notice the barrel is touching the facotry stock . I used dollar bill and slipped under the barrel but it was getting caught . Do you guys think if I sand em down so barrel isn't touching , maybe It could help with the accuracy ? Thanks
                        It wouldn't hurt to sand it some but let me tell you what I had to do.

The barrel on my Howa Mini was cockeyed in the stock when I received it. The action screws were not very tight, so I used a torque wrench to tighten them. But that was a mistake. I tightened the screws to the spec (55 inlb) that was in the user instruction/safety procedure pamphlet that came with the rifle. The rear hole in the plastic trigger guard broke at that torque. I called Legacy Sports & the lady I talked to asked a gunsmith there what the torque should be. She said the gunsmith told her, "No more than 35 inlb." They sent me a new trigger guard at no cost to me.

When I got the new trigger guard & torqued the screws to 35 inlb, the barreled action was still cockeyed in the stock. The left side of the barrel was pressed against the stock. I loosened the action screws & found there was a lot of slop between the stock & action. I placed a thick piece of cardboard between the stock & barrel & re-tightened the screws. After removing the cardboard shim, the barrel was still on the left side of the barrel channel but it wasn't touching anymore. A dollar bill would slip all the way from the tip of the stock to the action. If I left things as is, I would have to remember to use the cardboard shim every time I removed & replaced the action. Or... I could bed the action to the stock so it would be in the same place every time. I did that.

I wasn't thrilled with the plastic trigger guard so I got Oregunsmithing's aluminum bottom metal along with their lightweight composite Howa Mini stock. The heavy 20" barrel wouldn't fit in the stock! I had to sand out the barrel channel to get it to fit. That fixed the stock but I had nothing but trouble with the bottom metal magazine box trying to get it aligned in the stock so it would properly feed ammo from the magazine box. I now have Jefferson Outdoors' bottom metal which works great! Ammo feeding is slick!
                        I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Six5x39
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2017

Thanks Bob ! Since Dip bottom metal is on the way , I'll grind the channel area down and retest with same ammo . Guess mean while I can make some lead free workup loads as well .

Comment

Working...
                          X