• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Billinthedesert
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2018

New CVA Grendel on board

Well, the beast arrived at my dealer yesterday. I say beast because this Spanish beauty weighs 5 pounds, 6 ounces without scope. Rings and a Burris 2-7 pistol scope will put it over six pounds. Most of the weight is in the very lovely but stout Bergara barrel. Lock-up is bank vault-tight and I am guessing that the very crisp trigger is less than 3 pounds. Trying to find barrel twist rate specs, but it would appear to be nice and tight.
    Considering who made this barrel and the caliber it is chambered for, I expect some very good groups once I can get to the range with it.

• BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Lookin' good. Have fun!
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Billinthedesert
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2018

Hope to, BFT. I pulled off the rail, cleaned out the screw holes with alcohol (the rubbing kind ... I am not stupid) then blue-Loctited them and torqued to 18 pounds. There are some mentions on Youtube and other places that the rails on these guns are often loose and the tapped screw holes oily. I wish to heck that Optics Planet used a shipper other than DHL. My scope has been sitting in the DHL warehouse in DFW since Thursday afternoon -- just 3 hours from here.

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

I know the rest of the setup cannot get here quick enough for you. I have several Contenders I love to hunt with. Been killing deer with them for lots longer than the Grendel has been around. 7-30 Waters is my favorite in the older contenders and since it ain't broke might not fix it with the Grendel, though I would love to as the GRR is about all I hut with anymore.

Will be watching how this one does and I might get one of these.

Comment

• ported45
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Wish they would chamber the Grendel in a Scout V2 rifle!

Comment

• Edog537
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2018

Same here! I have the same CVA pistol. These CVA break actions rifles and pistols are great shooters. I plan on getting the adapter/brace from Farrow, and having a muzzle brake pinned and welded. I plan on having a very compact stalking rifle.

Comment

• Billinthedesert
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2018

Well here's the beast in all its monstrous Grendel glory with the Burris 2-7X mounted. Hope to break it in this weekend. I'll also be curious about how the rest I built for it performs. I have used the same design with a shorter bed and taller block to accommodate the ergonomics of "normal" revolvers and semiautos, and it works fine with a squeeze bag at the rear.

Comment

• Edog537
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2018

I have the same pistol. My scope should be here Friday from Natchez. You planning to hunt? I am with 123gr SST. As soon as I can I will post a pic of my CVA and Mini

Comment

• Billinthedesert
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2018

I would love to employ this pistol in the Texas swine jihad. Would also use it on an Axis deer hunt if I could find one I could afford.
                  Magnum Mike over at Specialty Pistols speaks highly of the Sierra 105-grain TMK for distance work.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Billinthedesert View Post
                    Hope to, BFT. I pulled off the rail, cleaned out the screw holes with alcohol (the rubbing kind ... I am not stupid) then blue-Loctited them and torqued to 18 pounds. There are some mentions on Youtube and other places that the rails on these guns are often loose and the tapped screw holes oily. I wish to heck that Optics Planet used a shipper other than DHL. My scope has been sitting in the DHL warehouse in DFW since Thursday afternoon -- just 3 hours from here.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Edog537
                      Unwashed
                      • Jan 2018

Here is my CVA Grendel. Hope to have a range session tomorrow.
                      FC84BC2B-EBA5-4492-8FA0-184B60F9955C.jpeg09A2ED98-DDF0-474C-94FC-80493CF8DF63.jpeg

Comment

• weagle
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Edog537 View Post
                        Same here! I have the same CVA pistol. These CVA break actions rifles and pistols are great shooters. I plan on getting the adapter/brace from Farrow, and having a muzzle brake pinned and welded. I plan on having a very compact stalking rifle.
                        I just made that modification to mine. Not wanting to ever get sideways with the ATF in case the pistol brace rules change. I added a pinned and welded muzzle device. I couldn't find one the right diamether and length that I wanted so I bought a long one and cut it off. Exactly what I wanted. 16 1/2" barrel that I can use as a pistol or a legal length carbine with a butt stock. Note: Those are mock holes on the extension. I didn't want the muzzle blast from a ported device. Overall length is 30.5"

Last edited by weagle; 10-14-2022, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2011

Very nice, Weagle. Things are about to get messy with braced pistols.
                          Last edited by biodsl; 10-14-2022, 03:09 AM.
                          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Billinthedesert
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2018

Finally got to the range with the Scout Sunday. Even though I was very rusty at shooting a powerful single-shot handgun, this thing excelled. I put a box of Privi Partizan 110-grain FMJs through it to dial in the scope, get a feel for the gun and the recoil impulse and leave me some brass to load.
                            As you can see, it gave me a 1 1/2-inch group on the right -- my first five-shot group at 100 -- and on the left a 1 3/8-inch group with the scope adjusted to where I wanted it, high and centered.
                            I know I could have done better, as I kept fiddling around with my rest and squeeze bag, finding some padding for my elbows and just basically squirming around out of practice. Considering all those negative inputs, I am quite thrilled with this $353 handgun.
                            The group of three on the right target was with first handloads -- a Sierra 107 grain TMK, Nosler brass and 22 grains of H4198 with CCI 400 to light things off. The recoil impulse was much milder and I thought the three would group well away from the five Privi FMJs, but they didn't. And the Scout obviously prefers some other flavor of handload, although a test sample of just three hardly constitutes guidance.
                            Just as evidence of how rusty I was today, I only just now realized that the Burris scope is a 2-7X. I shot the targets at 2X!
                            Boys and girls, if anyone here has been on the fence regarding one of these handguns, get off of it and buy one while they are available, as CVA is a bit of a squirrely outfit. As more range and field reports on these pistols come in, I hope CVA will see fit to do more to promote them.

Comment

• biodsl
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2011

Great report, Bill. Yes, I should get off the fence.
                              Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Working...
                              X