• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Billinthedesert
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2018

Ruger Predator in the Grendel will soon be here

Got to thinking that I really don't have a rifle set up in case some nice Texan here flabbergasts me with an invitation to hunt deer or hogs. Yes, the Trapdoor Springfield is up and running, but my 69-year-old eyes and that Buffington sight don't always play well.
    Thought about ordering the Mini-Howa barreled action mentioned here from Brownell's, but by the time I put it in my preferred stock -- a Bell and Carlson -- I'd be looking at close to $800 bones. The Predator was about $500 with Texas sales tax from Grabagun up the road in Coppell, and I decided on a discontinued Burris 4.5-14X42 from the 'Zon for $165 to top it. Already have dies, some brass and some bullets on hand for the CVA Scout pistol -- which of course would serve from a blind, but be nearly useless for spot and stalk. Have read a bunch of threads and watched Youtubes on tweaking the Ruger Americans -- polishing the bolt, clipping a coil here and there -- so it should be ready to go with a few hours of work and then load workup.
    I had a Grendel upper for the AR a while back, but I have just never convinced myself to love that platform even though I have tried, for years.
    I'd love to put a can on the Ruger, but that adventure will have to wait.
  • ported45
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

I had a Predator until my daughter took her first two deer with it and now she has laid claim to that rifle. So about a month ago I got myself an early Christmas present of another Grendel Predator.

I am in the same boat about the AR as a deer rifle. At least with a bolt gun I can get one in the chamber quietly and with little movement if I encounter a deer while walking to/from my stand.

Comment

• JCart
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2021

Last edited by JCart; 11-15-2022, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

Get the short barrel ranch Bill, will be dandy with suppressor, I'd be all about the tbac ultra5 myself, wish I could have that in Canada. Mine shoots hornady black about 3/4 moa to 500 yards for 3 shot groups. Do the bit of tune up JCart mentioned and good to go, beauty little rigs. Howa's are painful money pits and cheap AS F... We use it for everything, 13 big game kills plus a wolf now in 5 seasons and still not done this season. My kids have been killing well with it also. Moose, bighorn sheep, whitetail's, muley's, black bears and wolf, 10 yards to 420 yards, average recovery distance around 11 yards for us. Hornady black factory ammo all the way.

Comment

• Billinthedesert
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2018

Well, the Ruger arrived today and I am pleased with it so far. Eager to get it to the range and break it in. This is the longer-barreled Predator model, but the muzzle is threaded nonetheless. I spoke to my FFL today about a can, and he told me the wait for approval and issuance of the tax stamp is seven months. Kinda cooled my jets right there on the idea of a suppressor, but we shall see.
          I was all set with my JB bore paste to work the bolt to smooth it, and while it could still use some smoothing, I suspect Ruger has altered something in the bolt finishing process to clean up the surface a little more: certainly no hint of zip noise.
          I am not impressed with the magazine -- just feels cheap and tinny. I wonder if there is a nicer five-shot out there with a smoother contoured base (keep the 10-shot in reserve). I am prepared to clip that mag spring if needed, and the trigger spring as well. Very nice, clean break but once again I wish I had a trigger pull scale.
          I'd love to find some 100-grain Nosler Partitions to work up for a hunting load -- the Barnes 100-grain TTSX would be just as nice -- but both seem to be in mighty short supply right now. I saw some 100-grain ELD-Ms at my LGS, but Hornady seems to think they are not hunting bullets and I don't have coyotes on my menu. What is killing me is powder or the lack of it. Loaded some 107 TMKs and some Nosler 120 BTs with H4198 for sub-par loads just to have something to shoot. Will look for CFE223, Benchmark or H335 when in the "big city" next Monday.
          I put the Burris 4.5-14 on with Weaver Grand Slam steel medium rings and I think it's going to be great rig.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

I believe you can order the ruger mini bottom insert for your gun and use the mini-30 5 round 7.62x39 mags if you don't like the AR mags. Others here have done so from recollection. Which means you could then get the mini-30 20 round mags or any other mini-30 mags. Your trigger likely will go down to about 3 lbs pull on the low end, that's where a few I've seen get to. We hunt primarily so left it alone, it's just fine.

Comment

Working...
            X