• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bobgab
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2022

Breaking a Howa mini bolt action mag and/or bottom plastic

Has anyone actually broken the factory supplied bottom plastic and/or magazine? If so how?
  • Old Bob
    Warrior
    • Oct 2019

Yup! Over-tightened the stock bolts & cracked the rear portion of the bottom plastic. How? The owners manual that came with my rifle had 55 inch pounds as the torque value for the stock screws. I called Legacy Sports & their agent told me their gunsmith said it should have been 35 inch pounds. The agent told me she would notify her manager of the misprint in the Howa mini owners manual. I don't know if the torque value in the manual has been corrected or not. I bought my Howa mini a year ago.

In the full-sized Howa Model 1500 rifle manual, 55 inch pounds is the correct torque value for its stock bolts with alloy bottom metal.

Even if you haven't broken the plastic bottom metal, I'd suggest you get the Jefferson Outdoor bottom metal for your mini. https://jeffersonoutdoor.com/bottom-metal/

The Jefferson Outdoor owner has new bottom metal in production now. Keep checking his website for availability.
    Last edited by Old Bob; 01-07-2023, 10:15 PM.
    I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• CJW
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Comment

• HokeyPokeyKid
        Warrior
        • Sep 2018

Every single Howa mini I own came with plastic trigger guard already cracked at the rear screw. That is the reason I started making my own bottom metal in the first place.

The plastic trigger guard is a total joke, not because it's plastic but because it was done so poorly and so cheaply.

Comment

• Bobgab
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2022

OK. Got it! Thanks so much. I was just wondering how prevalent the breakage problem is. I fully intend to replace the plastic. I am looking for bottom metal with a hinged floorplate.

Comment

• Bobgab
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2022

Thank you. The manual that came with my Howa mini doesn't even give a torque value. It just says "Tighten the two takedown screws alternately until both are snug, then tighten front screw firmly; finally tighten rear screw." page 25. I bought my rifle last month. I fully intend to replace the plastic.

Comment

• tdbru
              Warrior
              • Dec 2019

Bobgab,
              I too cracked the bottom "plastic" when I over torqued (but was going by owners manual spec) the action screws.

I would highly recommend Jefferson Outdoor's Oberndorf style bottom metal. It is what I ended up with and I have been happy with it. Makes carrying the mini howa so much nicer. and it is classy. HokeyPokeyKid does a great job on them.

-tdbru

Comment

• CJW
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Comment

• northdude
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2020

I put a cheap easy fix on here somewhere. Or I've got it on you tube as well. Cheap easy mods for howa mini or something like that
                  Last edited by northdude; 01-12-2023, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• northdude
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2020

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

Comment

• Yendor6.5
                        Unwashed
                        • Feb 2020

I have an unbroken plastic bottom, and mag. If anyone can use it, email me at rlj10x@gmail.com
                        I'll get it to you.

Comment

Working...
                        X