• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasper2408
    Warrior
    • Jan 2019

MDT Howa Mini chassis question

I purchased another Howa miniaction 6.5 Grendel 20" HB barreled action and am going to get the MDT LSS-XL Gen2 Carbine Chassis for it.

My question is: Can I just use any Mil-Spec buffer tube as I want to use a Luth-AR MBA3 carbine buttstock instead of one of theirs. Will it have the correct threads in the MDT chassis to screw the Mil-Spec carbine buffer right on and work?

thanks
  • Old Bob
    Warrior
    • Oct 2019

The impression I get from MDT's description of their LSS-XL Carbine Chassis is that any MIL-SPEC carbine buffer tube will fit on that stock. Actually, in earlier versions of their website, their description was pretty clear that MIL-SPEC tubes will fit.
    I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• jasper2408
      Warrior
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
      The impression I get from MDT's description of their LSS-XL Carbine Chassis is that any MIL-SPEC carbine buffer tube will fit on that stock. Actually, in earlier versions of their website, their description was pretty clear that MIL-SPEC tubes will fit.
      Thanks for your reply Bob.

My other Howa Mini chassis does take Mil-Spec tubes, but that is a Howa chassis, made by Accurate Mag I think, and I figured MDT would also take Mil-Spec tubes instead of making it proprietary for their buttstocks only. I was going to order everything tonight(Sunday) but there is no one there to contact to find out for sure so I guess that I will wait and contact them Monday before I order. Just thought I would ask on here first as I know that there are members on here that use the MDT chassis.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Answer to your question is yes. I have mdt chassis's (plural), one of which is on my howa.
        They take mil spec or comm, threads are the same. I use milspec, and onto it (them) I have the luth-AR mba's, Like this combo also.

There is a small setscrew underneath on the mdt, you tighten that into the buffer when you have it on and straight. Also note that the setscrew sometimes can stick out a bit, and be a source of scratches on your hand, I put a small piece of duck tape over it in those cases.
        O, I also use a buffer lock nut/castle nut on it, to ensure it stays tight.

I think (it is late at night...) I used the LSS version for the howa, but the XL will work also, just be a tad longer is all.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

If you like a one-piece chassis go for the oryx, also mdt, it's just a bit heavier than the chassis/mba combo but also works well. I had one on a savage and it was fine.

Oryx costs the same or a bit less than the LSS+buffer+mba...

another option for ya.

Comment

• jasper2408
            Warrior
            • Jan 2019

Answer to your question is yes. I have mdt chassis's (plural), one of which is on my howa.
            They take mil spec or comm, threads are the same. I use milspec, and onto it (them) I have the luth-AR mba's, Like this combo also.

There is a small setscrew underneath on the mdt, you tighten that into the buffer when you have it on and straight. Also note that the setscrew sometimes can stick out a bit, and be a source of scratches on your hand, I put a small piece of duck tape over it in those cases.
            O, I also use a buffer lock nut/castle nut on it, to ensure it stays tight.

I think (it is late at night...) I used the LSS version for the howa, but the XL will work also, just be a tad longer is all.
            Originally posted by grayfox View Post
            If you like a one-piece chassis go for the oryx, also mdt, it's just a bit heavier than the chassis/mba combo but also works well. I had one on a savage and it was fine.

Oryx costs the same or a bit less than the LSS+buffer+mba...

another option for ya.
            Thanks for the info on the buffer tube Grayfox.

I already have an extra MBA3 and a 90deg Ergo grip(pretty fat so don't know how I will like it) and been wanting to use them on something and I like the MBA3 buttstock the best so gonna go with those items. Gonna also use a castle nut. As far as the chassis I wanted the longer forend which makes it more like my other Howa chassis rifle. Decided to just go ahead and get everything before it warms up so that I will have a bolt action to shoot this summer in the Grendel caliber.
            Last edited by jasper2408; 01-23-2023, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

I think you'll like it, I use the K2+ b/c it's more vertical.
              Good setup.

Comment

• jasper2408
                Warrior
                • Jan 2019

Well, I got everything ordered yesterday. I did get an email from MDT stating that this chassis does work with the Howa Mini and that it will take any Mil-Spec buffer tube.

Now just the wait to get it all and put it together.

Thanks for all the great info posted.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

big grips or definitely long grips front to back (with the rubber thumb tang) like ergo slim grip or other ergo options, the trigger reach with a smaller grip like a magpul moe-k grip is too short and your finger wraps unnaturally around the trigger on howa mini's in chassis, as for buffer tubes, really like the strike industries one, solid fit with Magpul CTR or mission first battle link lightweight adjustable butt stocks, I prefer the ctr as the handiest all round, works prone as well with your left hand reaching under like rear bag...the open butt stocks not so good there, and the ctr can get you 3 different height cheek risers to tune your height to match your scope/rings...low rings work good for no riser for example, it's not hard to add weight in a hurry with bulky rails/rings/cheek risers etc. so I would set up 40mm or less 1" tube scopes in low talley rings and base ctr butt stock with ergo slim grip on the howa chassis builds I did to keep weight in the 'hunting' realms, hope that helps

Comment

• jasper2408
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
                    big grips or definitely long grips front to back (with the rubber thumb tang) like ergo slim grip or other ergo options, the trigger reach with a smaller grip like a magpul moe-k grip is too short and your finger wraps unnaturally around the trigger on howa mini's in chassis, as for buffer tubes, really like the strike industries one, solid fit with Magpul CTR or mission first battle link lightweight adjustable butt stocks, I prefer the ctr as the handiest all round, works prone as well with your left hand reaching under like rear bag...the open butt stocks not so good there, and the ctr can get you 3 different height cheek risers to tune your height to match your scope/rings...low rings work good for no riser for example, it's not hard to add weight in a hurry with bulky rails/rings/cheek risers etc. so I would set up 40mm or less 1" tube scopes in low talley rings and base ctr butt stock with ergo slim grip on the howa chassis builds I did to keep weight in the 'hunting' realms, hope that helps
                    Thanks for your suggestions Stinky Coyote. The Ergo grip I am going to try is the TDX-0 with the beavertail. I only own chassis type rifles so that what mounts on one rifle also will mount on any of the other rifles.

I am 71 years young so I only shoot at paper from a bench with a bench rest/bipod or sometimes prone with a bipod now. I don't hunt so I am not concerned with the weight of my rifles. All my rifles are M-Lok forends so what mounts on one will also mount on the rest of the rifles. The same goes for grips and buttstocks. I am not a wood stock guy simply because I want to be able to adjust the buttstock and LOP to me and I can do that on all of my rifles and they all feel the same no matter which rifle I am shooting that particular day. The only exception is my Ruger AR556 which I use the MFT BATTLELINK Minimalist buttstock(I really like this stock) for my home defense rifle with a red dot and front A-Frame front site in 5.56NATO. I also own a Ruger PRS in 6.5 Creedmoor, which I use the original buttstock that it came with so I am able to adjust it to my liking.

I only use one scope and that is a Sightron SV 10-50x60 ED with the target dot reticle and 1/8in clicks at 100yds. I just switch it to the rifle the day before that I want to shoot the next day. It doesn't take much to level the scope on the rifle I plan on shooting the next day. A couple of sighters and I am back to having fun. I started with Precision Reflex steel 34mm High scope rings but have since replaced them with the PR 34mm Medium which lets the sunshade on the scope just clear the barrel.

This is where I am at nowadays. I only shoot for fun just to try new stuff. When I buy something for my rifles it has to fit in with the rest of the rifles or I don't buy it.

Again thanks for your helpful reply.
                    Last edited by jasper2408; 01-25-2023, 12:34 AM.

Comment

• jasper2408
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2019

Got my chassis in today. To give some updates the small screw that tightens down the buffer tube now is flush with the chassis so it doesn't stick above the frame on this chassis. Also, I decided to order the ERGO TDX-O without the beavertail as it would fit better and I can use the beavertail version I have on the Howa chassis rifle that is at PF when I get it back as that chassis is made to use beavertail grips.

Magazines fit nice and snug and feed good so no worries there. Overall, I am satisfied with the chassis.

One other thing to mention is I ordered the LuthAR buffer tube/castle nut and the MBA3 stock tightens up nice and straight on the buffer tube with no looseness on the back end of the stock.
                      Last edited by jasper2408; 02-02-2023, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X