Clear All
  • TedBrewer5
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

Howa/ruger/CZ pros and cons

• Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 02-18-2023, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• TedBrewer5
      Warrior
      • Dec 2019

Comment

• gldprimr
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2016

Comment

• Harpoon1
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2017

Fair enough, thanks!

I can only hope it succeeds! ??????

More is better!
          Last edited by Harpoon1; 02-19-2023, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• Sinclair
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

I vote for the CZ 527 controlled round loading. As far as the hang down part under the action, I do not find it objectionable, it is not as obtrusive as a 27 rounder in an AR.
            "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
            Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
            Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• Modoc
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2022

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 02-19-2023, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• POKERFACE
                  Unwashed
                  • Nov 2017

Needs to be flush hinged "BDL" style bottom metal or at least blind ADL style. Hope it works out...Joe

Comment

• Old Bob
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2019

Tikka?
                    I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

I have had and have howa, and have had a couple rugers. I don't like the ruger mag (AR) b/c it was not a reliable feeder, plus rounds that are shorter would pop up and jam against the barrel face without going in. The howa mag feeds great but it's release mechanism can be too hard or too easy to work. A five round detachable mag is fine, or maybe 4-round detach. Not a fan of internal mags b/c the top feed issue is tough with a small cartridge.
                      And the stock - the stock!!! Plastic is ok if you have to but make sure it is at least serviceable, like the accustock, or has some ability for an add-on cheek riser. And not so flimsy as to flex and touch the barrel in the forend. Ruger, howa and savage all failed in the stock part.
                      I like the Savage style barrel nuts, so you can swap barrels without need of a gun smith.
                      Should take or use picatinny rails, not proprietary rings or such.
                      Common SAE thread, 5/8-24 for muzzle devices.
                      I like the 20" howa HB style, the ruger has a 22" which is fine too b/c it is thick enough to be threaded, which is what I look for in a barrel.
                      Howa has a 5-r style internal twist/lands which is better imo than the 4- or 6, the off-set of the lands in the cross section is a plus for a small cartridge to push the bullet through. If it's not radiused (to save some cost) that's fine but 5 lands not 6. Savage and some ARs are this way also so it's not uncommon.
                      Use a 1:8 twist rate, not 1:9. 7.5 would be ok but 8 is probably more standard, so would be better cost-wise.
                      Definitely a mini action not just a 308-style with a bolt-shortener (like Axis does).
                      The bottom metal should be metal not plastic, the howa bottom plastic is basically DOA..
                      Savage style floating bolt head is fine or a ruger style one-piece bolt is ok too, but disassembly for cleaning should be regular-tech friendly not needing, again, a gun smith or lots of proprietary tools. Savage is better than ruger's in this regard.
                      Trigger - now their lawyers could prevent this I guess - adjustable for ~3-5 lb, personally I like about 2.5 but 3 is ok.

Finally, to me selling a gun is about good engineering but also about parts availability, so a guy can swap out parts or improve it or change out a faulty/failed part. Make sure after-mkt or oem parts will be available. Like stocks, triggers, rings, muzzle devices, but also mags, action screws etc. If a gun won't shoot moa with a decent load it is not worth much to me.
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

One more thing, it would be important to have a mag that allows slightly longer than 2.260 OALs, like a min of 2.290-2.300, for some of the heavies (129 even up to 140) that some guys like to shoot. And the freebore to accommodate them too. No short throats, period.
                        Which brings to mind, use a Saami chamber with the dual-angle cut going into the lands, not a straight style, 264Lbc type. Actual Saami.
                        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• kmon
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2015

All those on the list are detachable mags, how many hinged floor plates have been sold for those that prefer that option?

A small action like on the Kimber 84 would be cool IMO at a mag length for seating out to 2.400 or perhaps a little longer.

Collect enough older firearms that mags that were under 10 dollars new are now selling for 100 or more will make you think about mags and getting spares for your mag guns. There are a few extras new in packages for my CZ 527s for that reason.

I also appreciate a short bolt lift and 60 degrees is very nice compared to most of the 2 lug bolts so as long as it is "NEW" 3 lug action. My favorite one I own is a Cooper. I also have several Remington 788s that have 9 lugs but the same 60degree bolt lift. Keeps a standard bolt handle further than the scope in cycling.

Comment

• Kenny Howard
                              Unwashed
                              • Feb 2023

A few years ago, before George Floyd, Covid, BLM riots all over, I had a really funny feeling it was time to start doing some buying. One of my "PPE" buys was a Ruger Ranch in 6.5 Grendel. I restocked it with a Boyd's AT-1 stock. It took some modification to work like they said it should. I had to buy longer bolts, the ones they sent would even reach the action. I had to open up the barrel channel so it would free float, rework the mag release and adjust the comb of the stock so the bolt would open, all of which Boyd's said I was wrong on.

In the end, I ended up with this. I had also purchased four 200 round plastic ammo cans of the Hornady American Gunner ammo. 123 Match HP, which they no longer make. I have only shot this ammo out of it and am just getting around to reloading for it. I hope the 3 pictures show up.

With factory ammo, it will shoot 3/4 MOA groups all day long, 5 round or ten round groups.

Love the gun, will take standard A/R Grendel mags, have a whole bunch of 25 rounds that work off of this gun, no issues but too cumbersome with long mags. Only issue now is all the sharp corners in the stock and mags, not a comfortable gun to carry.

Also purchased 2 more in 5.56 and 300 BLK, with the same stocks, I am a glutton for punishment, in different colors. All Mag loaded rifles in my safe are color coded with magazines for easy grab and go.20200630_165046.jpgIMG_20230220_154116436.jpgIMG_20230220_154201719.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X