• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iain
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2023

Scope selection for Howa mini

G'day from Australia

Have a sporter with 22 inch barrel ordered. Just waiting on Permit to Aquire to be approved so I can pick her up.

Will eventually put on a walnut stock and bottom metal (floorplate) and have ordered some Talley lightweight mounts.

It's job on the farm will be vermin hunting, rabbits, foxes, wild dogs, pigs, goats and fallow dear (white tail size)

A very long shot would be 200m with most within 100m.

I also like a day at the range - but that's mainly load development and out to 200m maximum.

I have a Leupold 2.5-8 x 36 that is spare. What are your thought?

I was thinking of a Burris Fullfield IV in 2.5-10x42 with the illuminated reticle as hunting will often be at dawn or dusk or under spotlight (yep, it's allowed in Australia on private land)

Not sure I like all the marking in the Burris reticle (I've only seen pictures) but it's a pretty good price.

Anything comparable to the Burris in a similar price range?

I'll save my reloading question for another thread.

Thanks all you beautiful people.

Cheers, iain
  • tdbru
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

Iain,
    these are my thought based on your supplied data.

first off, give the Leupold scope you already have a try. it might turn out just fine and that will save you some money for sure. also at dusk/dawn, turn down the power to 5x or lower to let a bit more light into your eye. you may not need an illuminated reticle. if you want to try an illuminated reticle, Leupold makes them too.

you seem to think that your shot distances will be moderate. So high levels of magnification will likely not be necessary. That is one reason I suspect what you already have will serve with aplomb.

do you plan on changing loads for each game type? if so, you'll appreciate a scope with turrets where you can just dial zeros based upon the load you happen to be using. Of course the scope will need to have repeatable adjustments if you plan on doing that. Leupold scopes do. I've used them for silhouette where you're always adjusting scope and need repeatability. other scopes might too, of course, but I only have experience with the Leupold scopes for repeatable adjustments. if you plan on just using one load for everything, or, decide just to "hold off" for the different loads then the repeatability on the scope adjustments is of less concern.

is total weight of rifle/scope setup a concern? I notice you mentioned talley lightweight mounts? again, check specs, Leupold scopes tend to be lighter than many of their competitors. the scope you already have may work well to also meet any self imposed weight limits you might have.

I agree that walnut sure looks pretty, but, if you're really wanting to make a light weight rig, look into Stocky's carbon fiber stock https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks...ni-action.html they advertise then coming in at 1 lb. i have put 2 blems into service, one weighed 16oz, and one came in at 17oz. I believer another forum member, Stinky Coyote, from Canada is using one as well for an ultralight setup.

other than the illuminated reticle part, I think the scope you already have would work wonderfully. Give it a try and if you still think you need the illuminated reticle, then look into other scopes. If the one you already have works out well, then you've saved yourself a bunch of money, which you could use towards that carbon fiber stock instead.

on the other hand, if you just want to buy a new scope to try it out, there's nothing wrong with that either.

have FUN with the new little howa. I sure like mine.
    best to you,
    -tdbru

Comment

• Iain
      Unwashed
      • Feb 2023

Comment

• Snarf
        Bloodstained
        • May 2019

Comment

• Iain
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2023

G'day Snarf,

I have always had difficulty with spotlights and seeing the reticle clearly - even more as 60 approaches, rapidly.

I'll drop in at my local LGS and ask to try an illuminated reticle.

Would dearly love a high end scope - but I'm on a peanut butter (paste) budget so I'll forgo illumination if it means better clarity.

Cheers, iain

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 green dot duplex.

I'm a leupold 1" tube lightweight scope snob and have mostly only used leupold but for hunting on all my rifles except 1 ultralight build that still wears a leupold 6x36...the Trijicon 3-9x40 goes on everything now. Once I tried it afield it was game over for leupold. It's an amazing hunting scope. The illuminated dot is of far greater value in real world on game hunting than can be described, it's very intuitive and fast. The glass is way better quality/clear than the leupolds. The adjustments are also a level above leupold, turrets and magnification ring and no Allen keys for turrets, lift and lock.

You can thank me later but that is the best all around hunting scope for predators to ungulates from 30 yards to 600 yards. You can get the mil-dot version for hold points that will take you over 600 yards. Or you can get a Kenton Industries Speed Dial Turret to match your load for dial ups but with your 200m work which is realistic and responsible, you won't need anything more than just the green dot duplex reticle. You want least clutter. Other nice thing about trijicon accupoint is no batteries. I get great dot illumination 40-45 minutes past sunset. Our legal shooting time is to 30 minutes past sunset and the dot works well past that, or before legal shooting light in the morning which is same (30 minutes before sunrise). And on dark body targets the dot is amazing, or darker timber or in the bush. You can see exactly where it is on a darker target. And we do a lot of coyote hunting, one of my main tests for this scope was winter coyote calling in bright sun and snow and the dot wasn't faded out by the bright conditions and even more enhanced once on a coyote, as I said, very intuitive for hunting. The reticle takes in enough light to magnify the dot in ALL conditions. Once it passed the coyote test it was all green light from there. Dot covers about 4-5" at 425 yards and it was easy for the kids and I to kill deer at 300, 355 and 420 yards with it.

It's also only 13.4 oz and will clear the barrel in low rings for proper alignment. It's just one of the best options on the planet for a pure hunting scope without any fat.
            Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 03-13-2023, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• TedBrewer5
              Warrior
              • Dec 2019

I bought the Burris you are looking at prior to last deer season and absolutely love it. Sight in was easy and the illuminated center dot came in handy in harvesting a nice buck in the growing morning light. I think you will like it.B575A15E-25ED-4EF1-9F40-97B2AB49DB20.jpeg
              Last edited by TedBrewer5; 03-13-2023, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Owyhee H
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2018

200m and closer the 2.5-8 leupold (one of my favorite scopes) should be good but the lack of illumination will make it tough at night. I don't like busy reticles and can imagine the sight would be worse with illumination. Since you already have the scope it does not hurt to try. I have looked through the Trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 and they had a clean reticle and a nice size, but a couple ounce weight penalty.
                Last edited by Owyhee H; 03-14-2023, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

I should caveat never hunted at night as we aren't allowed. The trijicon accupoint apparently has a tritium back up lighting for the fiber optic so it glows for like 7 years straight or something but I haven't looked at mine in the dark to see if I can see it to use at night for illumination not provided by daylight fiber optic? Maybe a battery powered scope is the right choice for night hunting? Trijicon has other models with batteries too, I just prefer simple whenever I can get it for KISS principle hunting set up so I take the accupoint over all battery options for my needs. If you're like most of us you'll eventually try a few different scopes over the years to land on what you love.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Comment

• Iain
                      Unwashed
                      • Feb 2023

Comment

• stef1274
                        Unwashed
                        • Jul 2023

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
                        Iain,

first off, give the Leupold scope you already have a try.

-tdbru
                        This

Comment

• cwlongshot
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2018

Lain,
                          So what did ya end up with?

I was under impression you Aussies loved your Hawke scopes?

I know I like them! I have a few Vanguards and just picked up an endevor. Woohoo might be my perfect optimal scope!
                          As a rule I am not a illuminate rifle scope fan. Love my "red dots" but dont need yhem mixed. this has the L4h? Reticule and Im just loving it! Yesterday AM I was up before the dawn behind ghe house ta see morning use. WOW is my reaction. Last night, I did same sitting till after dark just ta see. For about 12-16 minutes that scope seemed to PRODUCE light!!!! Holding you palm where your eye would be was LITUP!!! Man that lil green dot is NICE!!!! Very sub dued but obvious, spot on perfect is my reaction! Rifle season is done here so next year for big game. But Starting Jan 4 ( I think) I can have this in woods for coyotes. We have strange law, no "deer" calibers for Coyote Hunters during deer season. STUPID, cause 100% gal ta shoot them with anything anytime (daylight) but if your tags punched, ya can only use non deer legal calibers during deer season. Talk about guilty before the fact. Like I said... Stupid.

So post up what did ya decide upon? Leupold is seldom a bad choice. But Zim loving these Hawke Scopes!

Comment

Working...
                          X