• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sammy
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2021

Interesting discovery Howa Mini plastic vs aluminum bottom

I just discovered something interesting.
    My Howa Mini had this weird behavior: every 4-5 shots, I would have an odd flyaway that would ruin the grouping. I blamed my shooting and reloading skills and dedicated a lot of time to trying to improve them. Nothing helped! I would start an incredibly tight group for the first three shots row, only to have one be 1" off to the side. Frustrating to no end! A month ago, I decided to replace the plastic bottom with a metal one from DIP which I torqued to 50lb. On the very next outing to the range, the odd flyaways disappeared! The metal bottom removed ALL unexplainable flyaways! Of course, some flyaways were caused by me, without a doubt. You know that feeling you get when you press the trigger and already know you messed up? I've been out twice and have shot north of 80 rounds at various distances: there were NO strays that I did not cause!

If anyone struggles with inconsistent precision, I strongly suggest you upgrade the bottom metal first!
  • Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Sammy View Post
    I just discovered something interesting.
    My Howa Mini had this weird behavior: every 4-5 shots, I would have an odd flyaway that would ruin the grouping. I blamed my shooting and reloading skills and dedicated a lot of time to trying to improve them. Nothing helped! I would start an incredibly tight group for the first three shots row, only to have one be 1" off to the side. Frustrating to no end! A month ago, I decided to replace the plastic bottom with a metal one from DIP which I torqued to 50lb. On the very next outing to the range, the odd flyaways disappeared! The metal bottom removed ALL unexplainable flyaways! Of course, some flyaways were caused by me, without a doubt. You know that feeling you get when you press the trigger and already know you messed up? I've been out twice and have shot north of 80 rounds at various distances: there were NO strays that I did not cause!

If anyone struggles with inconsistent precision, I strongly suggest you upgrade the bottom metal first!
    You might be able to shrink your groups even more with this technique.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

And even more perhaps by selling it and grabbing a ruger instead.

Comment

• Sammy
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2021

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
        And even more perhaps by selling it and grabbing a ruger instead.
        Selling a rifle in a middle of a journey of discovery and learning? No way! I built this rifle to learn, and it definitely taught me a few things. I am already at a point where the rifle shoots better than my skills allow. I will try Harpoon1's suggestion and then convert it into a light-hunter since the only hunting rifle I have is a long-distance/big game one(300PRC).

Comment

• northdude
          Bloodstained
          • May 2020

Comment

• Sammy
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2021

Great video! I particularly like the trick with metal inserts in the plastic bottom. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X