• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Moguns
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2023

Safety lever on a Howa

Hi Everyone! I've been in the grendel game for a couple of years, but I just found this site! Super cool. The other day, I modified the safety lever on the HACT to make it more thumb friendly. I removed the safety lever from the trigger assembly, flattened out the T, using a little heat and a hammer. Then, I drilled a hole to accept a bolt that I turned down, and bradded the end. Has anybody else done this? If you do, make sure your bolt will clear and the safety lever won't hit the stock. IMG_2841 (2).jpg
  • tdbru
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

Moguns,
    pretty cool work there. how much heat did it take to keep from breaking it off? dull red? not near that hot?
    tdbru

Comment

• Moguns
      Unwashed
      • Apr 2023

tdbru, I heated it so it was a dull red, which only took a few seconds. Initially, the button part was smooth. But it needed some file cut groove for thumb traction. I cleaned it up with some 400 grit and then hit it with some cold blue to give it some color.

Comment

• Darryle
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2022

That is some good metal work
        NRA Patriot Life Member Benefactor
        GOA Life Member
        TSRA Life Member
        NSCA Life Member

Comment

• Moguns
          Unwashed
          • Apr 2023

Thanks, Darryle!

Comment

• B 13
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2023

Very nice work! Is the bolt threaded into the modified safety tab, or peened/swaged in the hole?

Comment

• Moguns
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2023

I peened it. I almost put it in from the wrong side. Gotta check the orientation before anything permanent happens. Haha. Once it was together, I used a bench grinder to remove excess from the T in the lever. I did a similar job on a Weatherby Vanguard with a knurled screw.
              IMG_2857.jpg
              Last edited by Moguns; 05-02-2023, 01:30 AM.

Comment

• B 13
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2023

I really like that knurled setup! Saved for future update on my mini. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                X