• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

The time has come (maybe)

I am thinking now maybe the time has come for me to get a replacement barrel for my howa mini.
    Sure the 20" barrel has been ok but it just doesn't shoot like I would like (alas another one I had earlier and sold, shot better), and this year maybe the budget is here to look at a replacement. Why not get a better barrel all around.
    Here's what I'm looking for: 22", medium heavy barrel threaded for 5/8-24, 5-R style twist 1:8. I will fit it back into the mdt chassis I already have.
    So it needs to be a "howage" style with the appropriate (M-thread I guess) barrel nut, and wrench/crow's foot, so I can put it on after I have my lgs pull the old barrel. I've got the gages and I like doing it.
    From time to time guys have talked up their pac-nor, or xcaliber, or etc...
    The possibilities today seem like preferred barrel blanks, pac-nor or mcgowen.
    What recommendations would y'all have.
    Like it to be a drop in once the mfr gets through with it and ships.
    Waiting the more-less obligatory 12 weeks +/- is ok as I have plenty other shootin' lined up.
    But, well, a little more barrel and a little more MV would suit me well I think.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • SDguy
    Warrior
    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
    I am thinking now maybe the time has come for me to get a replacement barrel for my howa mini.
    Sure the 20" barrel has been ok but it just doesn't shoot like I would like (alas another one I had earlier and sold, shot better), and this year maybe the budget is here to look at a replacement. Why not get a better barrel all around.
    Here's what I'm looking for: 22", medium heavy barrel threaded for 5/8-24, 5-R style twist 1:8. I will fit it back into the mdt chassis I already have.
    So it needs to be a "howage" style with the appropriate (M-thread I guess) barrel nut, and wrench/crow's foot, so I can put it on after I have my lgs pull the old barrel. I've got the gages and I like doing it.
    From time to time guys have talked up their pac-nor, or xcaliber, or etc...
    The possibilities today seem like preferred barrel blanks, pac-nor or mcgowen.
    What recommendations would y'all have.
    Like it to be a drop in once the mfr gets through with it and ships.
    Waiting the more-less obligatory 12 weeks +/- is ok as I have plenty other shootin' lined up.
    But, well, a little more barrel and a little more MV would suit me well I think.
    I have a similar 6mm ARC barrel coming in for a CZ 527 at the moment. Was more like 24 weeks wait time if I recall correctly. Similar in the sense that the barrel is the Heavy varmint contour. similar in the sense it is 22" long & similar in the sense she will be threaded 5/8 -24. Not exactly 5R though an 5 land 5 groove laid back angle rifling that tends to yield 50 to 100 FPS faster or so than a standard rifling configuration. Last one dropped in with little fuss. We will see on this one by next week.

Give Pacnor a call & start off with Jay, I expect they may get you going with something to fit your fancy.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

stainless, proof carbon I had was accurate and fast, I had the smaller diameter 24" carbon sendero on a howa in mdt Lss xl gen 2, 2605 fps with hornady black, cleaned up so fast with their 11 round break in, and I think with 30mm talley rings and 1 lb leupold 40mm with the 30mm tube it was 8 lb 3 oz total but gotta use ergo grip with thumb tang to keep trigger reach in check, maybe just regular proof stainless?, or hear good things about benchmark barrels

I think about doing a stainless on my little howa ultralight at times but already been the biggest money pit going so I try to quit having those brain farts asap. Think I'd rather hold out for an older ruger m77 7.62x39 boat paddle that's already stainless then just swap it to stainless 6.5 Grendel though. Should have done that in the first place instead of this money pit.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

So these are both pac-nor?
        I'm about to do some calling.
        I had a mcgowen years ago, in 6.8 spc/20" barrel, the barrel probably shot better than I was at the time but had feed issues... plus I left the spc for the grr anyway... like I said years ago.
        I have a uintah in 6Arc but don't have the 12 c-notes for a grendel, the 6Arc is mighty fine however...

Another question rattling around is whether a slight taper or straight barrel line is better... I'd do maybe the 0.750 or 0.810 in straight but like y'all say maybe a light varmint or sendero? Any opinions on harmonics for these options. The ruger pred is close to a 0.750 straight, I have some savages in a 0.810/fluted that shoot well. the howa mini is a straight-20 ~0.760 I think...

decision, decisions...

O, that 5R yeah most places don't do that exactly 'cuz it's patented I think, a 5-land/5groove is perfectly fine. The offset IMO lends me an extra 50 or so fps and less distortion on the bullet/forcing to the grooves. Not really a fan per se of the enfield or other straight-opposing styles... when I can get a 5-er that is.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

I contacted pac-nor, preferred barrels, and mcgowen today. We'll see what I get back.
          This afternoon PacNor emailed back and said they don't do barrel nuts. So they're out.
          I can't set up and headspace a non-barrel nut barrel.
          Appreciate all the ideas here.

Comment

• northdude
            Bloodstained
            • May 2020

Can you get walther barrels over there

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

I have not seen them anywhere.
              Right now looks like preferred barrels will be the choice. I talked with him.
              Mcgowen never returned my email or call.
              The Ragged guys did email back, but I'm leaning preferred for now.
              Still thinking.

Comment

• jasper2408
                Warrior
                • Jan 2019

Freebore length is something you should check on is my recommendation when they do the chamber.

Finally got my Howa Mini w/22" Kreiger SS barrel back but I sent it back to get the freebore extended. Freebore was way too short for Hornady 123 HPBT.

I had Kreiger copy the Howa barrel contour until it got down to .800" then straight out to the muzzle. That put a little more meat in the the end of the barrel but not adding much weight compared to the Howa 20" HB. Didn't make the rifle barrel heavy either. Probably could have got by with .820" though.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

placed the order with preferred barrels. They tell me 12-16 wks but may beat that by a little.
                  I can wait, I've got my lilja AR running as far as grrr rounds. I gave them a chance to explain if the QA problems talked about in snipershide had been dealt with. Lots of times a vendor doesn't get the chance to tell its side of the story. He did say they had worked those issues out, it was from ~2 yrs ago but figured I'd let them have their say at least.
                  Mostly if I get a decent barrel with the extra MV of 22" and more repeatable load performance, it will have paid off for me.

Comment

• CJW
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2019

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

I've got a uintah 6Arc upper, rides an AR lower, bolt action.
                      Shoots wonders for me.
                      They use the PB barrels, both are in Utah. If this new one shoots like that uintah I'll be mighty pleased.

Comment

• ramslamer
                        Unwashed
                        • May 2020

Preferred barrels

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                        I've got a uintah 6Arc upper, rides an AR lower, bolt action.
                        Shoots wonders for me.
                        They use the PB barrels, both are in Utah. If this new one shoots like that uintah I'll be mighty pleased.

Comment

• s3silver
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

Comment

• Harpoon1
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2017

Comment

• grayfox
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2017

Yeah I could've plunked down the coin too, but I figured I could wait. Been working on a couple other cartridges, loads, so still busy enough. Plus my PT consulting is taking up more time than I thought! (not necessarily a bad thing).
                              Let us know how it shoots, ok?

Comment

Working...
                              X