• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TedBrewer5
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

Zastava m85

This looks like an interesting piece for a custom barrel swap for anyone with some extra green.

• 65Carcano
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2022

That would be an awesome classic looking set up, hope someone Grendelizes it.
    My grandpa's WWII Bomber Pilot memoir:
    https://www.hellgatepress.com/produc...lter-richards/
    https://www.amazon.com/Victory-World...dp/195416369X/ or
    Ebook: https://www.amazon.com/Victory-World...dp/B0C7RXCRYG/

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I think Kamon used that same Zastava rifle to convert to a 6.5 Grendel before any 6.5 Grendel bolt action rifles were on the market. I considered doing the same thing but never found a good donor action. I think Remington imported a version of that rifle years ago.

Comment

• stef1274
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2023

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
        I think Kamon used that same Zastava rifle to convert to a 6.5 Grendel before any 6.5 Grendel bolt action rifles were on the market. I considered doing the same thing but never found a good donor action. I think Remington imported a version of that rifle years ago.
        Hi. This kind of Zastava action would be a good donor. For what it's worth, here in our neck of the woods, Zasatava's are trusted for their simplicity and ruggedness, albeit not for precision. Would make a great lightweight classic walk and stalk gun.

Comment

• CJW
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

That is really a beautiful gun!!!!!

Comment

• Harpoon1
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 08-02-2023, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

I was about to pull the trigger on one of these but a couple days before I was going to buy one I located a CZ for just a little more and went with the CZ. Still my favorite walking hunting rifle. I just liked the feel of the CZ better and already knew that rifle well since I have a CZ 527 Prestige in 223. The Prestige is hand fitted with nicer wood than generally seen on the standard 527.

Wish in that time I had bought one of the Zastava rifles to have one. One of these days I might look for one.

Comment

• stef1274
                Unwashed
                • Jul 2023

Note that, in my opinion, the accuracy here is likely a function of the barrel. This would be changed when someone converts it. Stuff like bedding and triggers are worked on daily on many brands of rifles, so not a 100% no-go for this rifle.

Comment

• SDguy
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2015

Originally posted by TedBrewer5 View Post
                  This looks like an interesting piece for a custom barrel swap for anyone with some extra green.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/999283199
                  Rather expensive donor action at the moment $850 plus $55 shipping & then we have local tax & FFL transfer fees.

Comment

• tdbru
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2019

I built a 6.5Grendel on a Remington 799 (Zastava m85). IMHO the extractor is the weak part of the rifle. in my case it would not hold the case head against the bolt face so it would extract but not eject. I bent the extractor a bit and that helped, but eventually the rifle went down the road. I jumped on the Howa mini action when it came out. I think it's the best of the production mini actioned 6.5 Grendels IMHO. I guess I should have waited about 5 years for these CF stocked flyweight bolt guns to come along from Howa/Legacy because that is way cheaper than piece parting it like I did, but how do you know what's coming down the road?? If you can find one for sale, these CF stocked mini howa's whether steel barrel or CF are very good off the showroom floor. Not super great, IMHO as the detachable mag setup has always been, to me, a PIA. I like HPK's Oberndorf bottom metal exceedingly well. YMMV of course.
                    -tdbru

Comment

• richj
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2014

how would you order bottom metal, it looks like it it is Rem 700 long or short? doesn't say howa anywhere?

Comment

Working...
                      X