• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDguy
    Warrior
    • Oct 2015

Bolt action & AR semiautomatic pressure limits COW

OK I expect this has already been discussed though the Advent of the 6mm ARC & the 22 ARC injects a why view point. We can see the 6mm arc was released with separate Gas & Bolt gun max pressure limits. Seems the 22 ARC will be similar. Yet the 6.5 grendel was released with a single pressure limit to be applied to both Gas guns & bolt action firearms.

Why is a bolt action 6mm ARC load allowed to run higher pressure limits than a bolt action 6.5 Grendel load? Expect the same question will apply to 22 ARC vs 6.5 Grendel when the data is out.
  • SDguy
    Warrior
    • Oct 2015

Tried & true sane 6mm PPC bolt gun data max pressure 58,800 PSI.

Tried & true sane 6.5mm Grendel Gas gun 52,000 good bolt & brass life.

6.5 Grendel bolt gun font= 52,000 good brass life.

Commonly proven 6mm ARC gas gun 52,000 good brass life.

Perhaps a bit high 6mm ARC bolt gun 62,000 Primer pocket & brass life may suffer.

22 ARC gas gun ?

22 ARC bolt gun ?
    Last edited by SDguy; 10-31-2023, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Fess
        Warrior
        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by SDguy View Post
        Why is a bolt action 6mm ARC load allowed to run higher pressure limits than a bolt action 6.5 Grendel load? Expect the same question will apply to 22 ARC vs 6.5 Grendel when the data is out.
        The reason has to do with the bolt strength. The Grendel was essentially based on a variant of the 6mm PPC case with the shoulder blown foreword (one of the developers, Arne Brennan referred to it as the PPCX case). The PPC is typically run above 60Kpsi. The issue is that the Grendels developers decided to design around the AR15 platform with minimal modifications and not develop a different bolt and barrel extension that could deal with higher thrust levels.* The thrust against the bolt is the (max internal case dia) x (max chamber pressure). The bolt was designed for the 5.56x45 with a case dia of .376". The Grendel/ ARC case is .441" dia. That meant reducing the max chamber pressure to avoid bolt breakage. Since the Grendel was going to be limited to 52,000psi anyway, the original Lapua case was designed with relatively thin case walls near the base to maximize propellant volume. If the pressures get too high or extraction starts before the chamber pressure has dropped enough, the case bulges and you can get the "Dreaded Grendel Belted Magnum".

*Beefed up AR15 bolt/extensions do exist. CMMG uses the oversized"powerbolt" on the Resolute MK47, Colt did with the the CK901 in 7.62x39 for Yemen, Remington for the 30 Rem AR, DTech still makes them for WSSM AR15's.

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

The Grendel was introduced in the ar-15 and factory bolt actions for it came years later. Hornady has done a little load information for the Grendel but very little since its introduction other than for new bullets. I suspect with the ARC cartridges since there are bolt action rifles that will be chambered in them go ahead and do the data for bolt actions with those cartridges of their design.

Some of us that really like bolt guns for hunting and also like the Grendel screwed barrels on rifles for the 7.62x39 mine being a CZ. It might take a while to find but there have been a few threads about loading for bolt actions and If I remember correctly one that Bill Alexander said the original Lapua brass was specked for 58,000psi and could be safely loaded to that but you will have much longer brass life at the <52,000psi loads for the AR.

Like pointed out in above posts you gain some velocity but not really that much from the extra, the shooting I do with the Grendel the loads in the 50kpsi range are fine. Plenty for shooting targets to 600 yards and game like deer , hogs and coyotes to 400 or a little beyond. If I want longer range with the 6.5s I will just reach further back in the safe and get the 6.5-284 or 264Win Mag, or for grins and shorter range 6.5 hunting the open sighted 1903 MS in its original chambering 6.5X54.

Comment

• gldprimr
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2016

Comment

Working...
            X