• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Galah
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2023

Thinking of getting a Grendel.

Last edited by Galah; 12-12-2023, 07:22 AM.
  • natebonebusta
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2022

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

The neat thing about the Grendel is the huge variety of bullets and powders that work well with it.

Even more important is that that flexibility works well when one does not insist on geetting the last foot per second velocity out of one's rifle.
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-12-2023, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Hornady put out revised data for the 6.5 Grendel using CFE223 powder.

Hornady load data update

Page 286, 6.5 Grendel, 95-100 grain data, the CFE 223 line should read.

Powder CFE 223 28.5gr. Vel 2300, 29.7gr Velocity 2400, 31.0gr. Vel 2500, 32.2gr. Vel 2600, 32.9gr. Vel 2650, 33.5gr. Vel 2700 FPS

Comment

• Galah
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2023

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            Hornady put out revised data for the 6.5 Grendel using CFE223 powder.

Hornady load data update

Page 286, 6.5 Grendel, 95-100 grain data, the CFE 223 line should read.

Powder CFE 223 28.5gr. Vel 2300, 29.7gr Velocity 2400, 31.0gr. Vel 2500, 32.2gr. Vel 2600, 32.9gr. Vel 2650, 33.5gr. Vel 2700 FPS

Comment

• 603Country
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2023

Comment

• trubulator
                Warrior
                • Aug 2022

Galah, I have had good results with H4895, a powder that you should be able to get. The only rub is that I use it with a 129 grain bullet, as it seems to be better suited to the heavier bullets. Can you get Hornady 129s?

Comment

• Galah
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2023

Last edited by Galah; 12-13-2023, 05:29 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Here is a list of ADI powders that are the same as powders marketed by Hodgdon in the USA.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-13-2023, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

You can online reloading data from Hodgdon for the 6.5 Grendel with 95 grain V-Max with AR2219/H-322 and BM2/Benchmark at the link below.

Comment

• Galah
                        Unwashed
                        • Dec 2023

Great Hodgdons site even better than the old one thanks vascar.
                        Would the min load of the correct ADI powders still be to high for a fire forming load ?
                        What would be a guesstimate of a fire forming loads velocity be , using a 95 gr projectile , then having a reduction out off a 16 inch barrel
                        Would 2400 fps be achievable in these initial forming loads
                        Last edited by Galah; 12-15-2023, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-15-2023, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• tdbru
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2019

Galah,
                            When I was using reformed 7.62x39 I neck annealed after running the case through the 6.5 Grendel sizing die, then did outside neck turning to reduce the neck thickness because that tends to get thicker as you neck down. I also found that I had to reduce loads by 2 gr. due to the large rifle primer as compared to the Grendel case with it's small rifle primer.

with the 85 - 100 gr. bullets I have found benchmark (BM2) to work pretty well. with 123-130 gr. bullets I am fond of H4895. I'm happy for you that you can get AR2206H fairly easily. I haven't seen any of that in my neck of the woods for 3+ years. I thought perhaps ADI quit making it.

it was a lot of work reforming the 7.62x39 cases into 6.5 Grendel. It is doable. If or when you can get commercial 6.5 Grendel brass, that sure saves a LOT of work. But not absolutely necessary. I don't have feral swine in the woods up here, but there are a lot of reports by DNS, a forum member, in the hunting section, on how various 6.5mm bullets have worked for the hogs he has taken. He is very thorough on his analysis so his info is very helpful.

I still am getting service out of some of my original reformed cases. I just have to remember to reduce the powder amount by 2gr. due to the use of the large rifle primer. Perhaps some of that was the difference in case capacity too. but 2gr. less showed about the same velocity. normal case life. and once small rifle primer pocket 6.5 Grendel ammo and cases started showing up I was happy to transition to those to reduce all the effort at reforming brass.

best of luck to you. of course I'd recommend the Grendel, but, if other calibers are more accessible, that's totally understandable.
                            -tdbru

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2023

FWIW, Barnes load data.

From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

Working...
                              X