Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSA CF2 bolt rifle build.

Hi fellas,
    I'm building a bolt rifle for a customer and we found a nice slick BSA CF2 .222 for a donor. The barrel is shot out and the standard stock has a few marks, but otherwise is sound. It will get cleaned up along with everything else.
    The 6.5 Grendel ctg fed from top of the unaltered mag, so there won't be much to do to get them to stack nicely.
    After opening up the bolt face, I made a custom extractor for it. Case hardened and polished, it works perfectly.

The barrel got fitted today and the barrel channel in the stock was opened up, to accept the different profile.

More pix to come as the job progresses.

nice looking build tony! let us know how she shoots!

richard

Comment

Go for it,Tony!

Comment

• Von Gruff
        Chieftain
        • Apr 2012

Looking good Tony, what barrel did you end up using.

I have a TSE in light sako profile 8 in twist coming for mine and have a Interarms Mark X mini mauser action to work with.

Von Gruff,.
        http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
        Acts 4:10-12

Comment

Thanks richard.

I got some more done today, in fact, it's ready for a test run at the range.

Mag box mods. I left the front inner ridge, but removed the rear one, to allow for the fatter case. I forgot to take a before pic.
          Also, the rear spacer was removed and a new narrower one welded in and set back slightly, to get the case shoulder position just right.

The dummy rounds now nest properly in the box.

Feed ramp was altered and polished, for a smooth feed.

Von Gruff,
          The supplied barrel is an Adams & Bennet. It was easy cutting and I got a very smooth finish in the chamber. Shooting will test it out.
          I also have ordered a TSE bbl in #3 profile, to go in the Stevens 200 action, for my build.

Comment

I fitted a Hakko 2.5-10 x 40 Superb scope, in the original scope mounts and bore sighted it.

Now to make up some loads and go burn powder.

Comment

nice work tony, i have an A&B barrel on a 22-250 from almost 12 years ago, still shoots real good. anxious to see how yours does.

Comment

That is cool sir. I see a Grendel bolt gun in my future, and will most likely use the CZ527 action. Excellent work on the bolt, extractor, and magazine.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Nice work! When you opened up the bolt face did that cause any issues with ejection considering the different position relative to the case rim?
                  NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Thanks Ric, LRROF52 & Tx,

I was worried about the ejector issue, but it works perfectly. Chucks loaded rounds out easily, so empties won't be a problem.

The dummy rounds in the pix, are loaded with 140g Taipan HP's and I don't have to seat them down into the case, because they have a long ogive and there is plenty of room in the mag. One advantage with a bolt gun, eh.

Test rounds. 140g Taipan HPx 25g ADI 2206H. 120g Sierra HPBT match x 28.5g 2208
                    COL is 2.340" for the Taipan and 2.285" for the Sierra.
                    The test rounds extracted easily and the, CCI BR4 primers, were flattened some.
                    I've loaded 5 of each for accuracy testing.
                    5 x 120g Sierra BTHP X 28G 2208
                    5 X 120g " " 28.5g 2208
                    5 x 140g Taipan HP x 24.5g BM2
                    5 x 140g " x 25g 2206H
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2012, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Very cool! It's fun watching your progress. She'll probably be a shooter!
                      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Thanks, Variable
                        I think it will be as well, because when I looked at the test fired cases, there was a very slight bulge at the web and it was very even all round the case. Means that everything is lined up perfectly. Couldn't have done it better if I tried )

Comment

Little update.
                          I've managed to fire a few test loads and it's showing promise.
                          This is the best group. Shot in gusty wind conditions, at 100yds. I just held on the bull and didn't try and read the wind. Bi-pod front and rear bag.
                          Vertical dispersion is only .25".

Comment

Sigh!

I wish my Grendel shot that well. It is more like a 2inch @ 100m rifle. The replacement barrel is on the way so with a little luck I'll be back with a Grendel by Christmas. Maybe.

Comment

Grendel stock-L
                              Since we decided on a 21 inch barrel, the fore end was shortened, skip line chequering rasped away and grip cap will be replaced with a horn one. Its only been sealed in with an oil finish. More work to go...

Mea culpa

Anoother view:

(NOT very sure if woodwork is included here. Mods, please feel free to move as appropriate)
                              Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X