Picked up my CZ 527 7.62x39, now to convert it to 6.5 Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up my CZ 527 7.62x39, now to convert it to 6.5 Grendel

Out shooting my new rifle. CZ 527 Carbine. Currently chambered in 7.62x39 (but soon to be shipped off for a new 264LBC chambered barrel).

LOVE this little carbine. 5.5 Pounds. Iron sights are suitable for someone younger than me. But even with that I managed some respectable groups. The gun has a European style selective 'set' trigger. In normal mode you pull the trigger back and have roughly a 4 or 5 pound trigger pull. In "set" mode you push the trigger forward about a 1/4" until it clicks or "sets" and then you have a crisp 1# trigger pull. Comes with 1 5-round detatchable box magazine.

Tested today using cheap military surplus 123grain FMJ of assorted manufacture, all steel case junk. I did have several failures to fire with ONE SPECIFIC type of ammo that has really hard military primers, in each case that round fired on the second attempt. The other brands all worked flawlessly. All rounds fed/ejected flawlessly too.

The safety is very simple, flip it up to cover the red dot and the gun is on safe, flip it down so you can see the red dot and its in FIRE position.

As it came out of the factory:

My aging eyes had a difficult time seeing the front sight dot. Its a small dot inside a shield, the rear is a simple express type shallow V with a small notch.

The 'set' trigger was a pleasure to use, but took 'thumb' force to push it forward. Try as I might, I could not use the back of my index finger to flick it forward to the set position. Target on the LEFT side is using the 'set' trigger which is supposed to be about a 1# trigger pull, shooting from a bench, but simply wresting my elbows on the bench, no bags or supports. Target on the RIGHT is using the regular trigger, probably about a 5# trigger, same shooting method.

After testing this gun I'm really loving it. Nice light weight, nice trigger, wood is not as nice as some of the other 527 rifles I've seen, but this is to be a simple hunting gun so fancy wood is not a priority. I believe this will be a great base rifle for conversion to the Grendel for a little hog hunter.

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Nice. They are neat little rifles. A pleasure to hold and shoot.

I'm considering leaving mine as is for now (although I've ordered a different height front sight post). But if I go with a conversion, I think I might buy a CZ Varmint wood stock, as the Carbine's stock design seems more appropriate for using irons. And CSS had Varmint-contour LW 6.5 barrels for the 527 in stock recently, ready to be chambered to customer's preference. I think perhaps this might be the easiest route to an appropriate result (along with a good 'smith to make the barrel change with appropriate headspacing).

The outfit listed on CZ's website for custom work (Triple River ?) has previously indicated to me that they can make the barrel swap.

Otherwise, going with a custom barrel instead of a pre-fit, could not only add to the price of the conversion, but also to the time it will take for completion. With some of the top barrel makers, lead times for a custom contour barrel could be 4+ months.

If money isn't a deterrent, Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs is someone I would trust for top-notch work. I've used him a few times in the past, including the chambering of a Krieger AR-15 barrel in 264 LBC. I think that he also has a reamer for 6.5 Grendel Match. SAC isn't inexpensive, but Mark doesn't disappoint, and he is familiar with the 527.
      Last edited by Drifter; 08-26-2012, 03:13 AM.
      Drifter

Comment

If I had better eyes I'd keep the irons!

If this conversion turns out as well as I hope then I may make another one. I want to keep this a CARBINE type rifle. But I think a longer barrel variant with a heavier stock would make for a nice prairie dog or long range hunter.

EDIT: Here is the link to TRIPLE RIVER GUNSMITHING, they appear to specialize in CZ rifles, but appear to work on safari guns. I may contact them about the Grendel project. LINK => http://tripleriver.net
        Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• Von Gruff
          Chieftain
          • Apr 2012

As afr as shooting with irons goes i would look at an aperture as they are great and will take the 7.62x39 out as far as it is useful and even the Grendel will benefit from an aperture as a backup sight. I have a bolt mounted aperture on my 7x57 and feel it is a 200yd sight. I have sucessfuly taken game to 185yds so far.
          That 527 is surely a sweet little rifle either as a base for a Grendel or as is for a hunter.
          http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
          Acts 4:10-12

Comment

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
            As afr as shooting with irons goes i would look at an aperture as they are great and will take the 7.62x39 out as far as it is useful . . .
            Well "as far as it is useful" is a pretty short range for a man like me who wears Tri-Focal glasses to get from his bedroom to the kitchen.

I'm hoping the scope rings show up in the mail on Monday or Tuesday. I've got a nice, compact low magnification scope that I think will be a good fit for a short, lightweight, hunting carbine. My only concern is the bolt handle clearance of the rear objective of the scope.

Comment

How many yards were those groups fired at?

Comment

Not really sure, maybe about 75. Did it in my back field.

Comment

Got to love Priority Mail service.

My new CZ scope rings arrived. If the weather holds up (or we don't get too much rain) then I'll try to put a few rounds downrange after I mount the scope.

My hope is that a Millett DMS 1 scope will fit. I've already got the scope. The problem with the CZ 527 is that it has a short bolt handle and a high shoulder on the handle, its known for having some clearance issues with the rear of the scope. Time will tell.

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

In addition to the scope / bolt clearance, I'm also curious on how natural the cheekweld will be to see through the scope using the Carbine stock.
                    Drifter

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                      In addition to the scope / bolt clearance, I'm also curious on how natural the cheekweld will be to see through the scope using the Carbine stock.
                      Me too! The ring bases are pretty darn high. I'm not going to get out to shoot this afternoon to test it out. But the bolt handle does clear the optic. No fast cycling of the action, while it clears, if you cycle fast your fingers will get smashed between the optic and the handle. Might be buying an extended handle!?!

Comment

• Drifter
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Without shooting, just shouldering the unloaded scoped rifle with your eyes closed, are you looking through the glass when you open your eyes? Or do you have to adjust your cheekweld?

Just wondering if a CZ Varmint model stock is a necessity for a successful scoped conversion, or if the Carbine stock will suffice...
                        Drifter

Comment

A scope with a large "eye box" helps. Still, I had trouble with the factory rings. I found that the Millet ring mounts were best for me. I learned to use the palm of my hand when cycling a bold action rifle, the 527 reinforces that learing.

Comment

The CZ 527 is, IMHO, one of the most underrated rifles out there. I have three of them now, and my little 7.62x39mm carbine is on deck to get converted to Grendel. I used McGowen Precision to rebarrel and accurize my 527 300 AAC Blackout conversion. The work was top-notch, but it took FOREVER!

CZ527.com is a budding little online community for fans of the little rifles. You can find info on adjusting your triggers, bedding your action and links to all sorts of accessories over there.

Comment

The concept of a cheek weld with the 'carbine' stock and the factory CZ scope mount is nothing more than a mythical concept. The stock is too low and the rings are too high to get a good cheek weld. Its possible with the iron sights, but with the scope mounted, not so much. Looks like I need to practice with this gun a bit more to see if an extended bolt handle and lower rings are needed. As I am NOT looking for a bench rest gun, but rather a slightweight hunting rifle, it may be adequate as is. A bit of range time and some practice will deterimine the next course of action I take with this little gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X