Thinking about converting a 700 to the Grendel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about converting a 700 to the Grendel!

Anyone have luck doing this? I've been reading and studying and it seems like most use the CZ action, but I could get it done way cheaper using a 700! Plus I would Like it better...

I've got a bartlein 8.5 twist barrel I'd probably finish around 18" and shoot the 123 amax loads.

Ptg can hook me up with a ppc bolt which should work fine.

So, how will this feed? Anyone having problems? Who can I have do the work? Don't notice a lot of smiths with the Grendel reamer.

Thanks!
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

If you could find another shooter or two wanting a 6.5 Grendel barrel it cuts the cost a lot by cost sharing. I've heard most cutters are good for three chambers. As popular as the 700 action is I don't think it would be to hard to find a couple of partners.

If I was going to do this I'd get one of the students I trust at the community college in my area with a gunsmithing program. A lot of the students need a project and a lot of students are not novices to shooting. Their have been several older retired people to take the class just to expand their knowledge.

A buddy of mine took the class and re barreled his M-1 Garand for a project.

Just trying to give you a couple of ideas maybe you hadn't considered.

Comment

I have one . PT&G bolt. The smith used a .308 magazine and follower. It functions flawlessly. I had a Sako type extractor put on. I do wish I had put on a Winchesster type safety, but I ran out of money. Wyats in Oregon or maybe Washington did a GREAT job, fast too. I have a 18" barrel on it and it shoots the factory 123gr loads <.75 inch. I use mine mostly for hunting and have a good stash of 130gr Swift bullets loaded with a long OAL.

Comment

I've also used Kevin Wyatt at Wyat's Outdoors in Medford Oregon. He does good work.
        WYATT’S OUTDOORSSHOP NOWWYATT’S OUTDOORSSHOP NOWWYATT’S OUTDOORSSHOP NOWWYATT’S OUTDOORSSHOP NOWWYATT’S OUTDOORSSHOP NOWWYATT’S OUTDOORSSHOP NOWWYATT’S OUTDOORSSHOP NOWWYATT’S OUTDOORSSHOP NOWWYATT’S OUTDOORSSHOP NOW CATEGORIES Internal Magazine Boxes Detachable Magazines Miscellaneous Wyatt’s Outdoor Here at Wyatt’s Outdoor, we design and manufacture feeding options for the bolt action rifle industry. These include internal magazine boxes in factory and extended lengths for … Home Read More »

Bob

Comment

What kind of speed are you getting out of yours? I'm building a 6.5 Creedmoor on a Still action right now...would it be worth doing in a Grendel? I think it would be pretty neat, but not super fast.

Honestly I'm thinking future hunting rig for my oldest boy...

Comment

since I don't have a chromgraph I cant tell you about speed. I can tell you that the 700 Remington wearing a B&C kevlar stock and a Minox 1.5x8 scope is a great starter rifle for young'uns. It probably only weights 6.somthing pounds and has minimal recoil and muzzle blast. My daughter is on the small side only 5'3" 129 lbs and she shoots it better than me. We started out with a cheek rest for a kids smaller face-and the 4" of eye relief do help. The rifle can kill game animals to 600 yards but we only hunt out to about 250.

Comment

Working...
            X