Grendel falling block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grendel falling block

One of our family's most fun rifles to shoot is an old Australian Cadet Rifle falling block action, originally chambered .301 Australian, rechambered to .32.20, a gift from a friend to my oldest son when he was 5.

I wonder if it would be practical to take one of the recently discontinued Browning 1885's to rechamber it in 6.5 Grendel.

Has anyone seen such a rifle? Does anyone have a Browning 1885 who could comment on the feasibility?

I don't think it would be too difficult, but would require a new barrel and a custom extractor. Perhaps the donor gun and $500.
    Bob

Comment

That is encouraging and even affordable. I understand there was a low wall and a high wall series. Would a low wall be sufficient?

Comment

I know nothing about falling block rifles, but I've always wanted one. $500 plus action sounds good to me. So if you get a plan together please keep me informed, I'll probably follow. BTW I e mailed E Arthur Brown regarding chambering their falling block ( they do one in 6ppc and 7.62x39) in Grendel and the reply was "we do not do that".

Comment

Oh, hm2clark, good pointer. Now that is getting very close: http://www.eabco.com/bfchamb.html. You do have to laugh that they do so many chamberings, but "don't do" the 6.5 Grendel What's that about? Maybe they didn't get the memo about SAAMI.

This is a fun idea and low priority. Can't let current events take all the fun out of life, but there are still a few pricey higher priorities on my shopping list that have managed to attain a certain urgency.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2013, 04:34 AM.

Comment

The 310 Cadet is the cartridge name you are thinking of. Many of them have been rechambered to 32-20 here as well, although Bruce Bertram does produce the cases on a regular basis.

An original Low Wall would not have the strength to handle the Grendel cartridge, and you would probably be heavily villified by the Winchester clunker lovers out there.

An original High Wall would just have the strength, maybe. Again these original actions were not really designed for cartridges like this.

The modern reproduction ones made in Japan for Browning and Winchester are well up to the strength required for a Grendel. Trouble is, that like the Ruger No.1, they are quite a large action that the little Grendel case tends to swim around in.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
              Chieftain
              • May 2012

Eabco does do a 264 lbc chamber in their contender barrels so its safe to assume the have the remerer if your serious I would call them up
              Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Part of what makes the Cadet Rifle so much fun for me and my children is its handy light weight, Heavyweights we already have in abundance.

Comment

That would be so cool.

I'm particularly fond of Martini Rifles though.

Comment

Thats how I got here.had a 222Rimmed Martini, wanted a wildcat 222Rx 6.5 on it.After a lot of discussion,my GS, Tony-Afro here-decided we would be better off with a bolt action.And he made one for himself too. but if its do able, I'dlike to know...

Comment

Considering that one son's Christmas present was ordered last July and still has not arrived, I had better start getting this one in motion for next Christmas!

Comment

Nukes-
                        am back after a bit of a hiatus. Whats the latest on your buildd?
                        Cheers

Comment

lightweight bolt Grendel accuracy no better (and often worse) accuracy than our AR Grendel, my interest has cooled regarding a bolt or falling block Christmas Grendel for our youngest. If I remember correctly Bill Stokes' gorgeous rifle was the most impressively accurate, but it was far more weight than the "target" of 5-6#. After all, our youngest guy is shooting the 8# scoped AR well, he just can't muscle it around... yet. If we'd end up with a 10# rifle to get more accuracy, I should just ask Mark Gordon to spin up a 6.5 x 47 Lapua barrel for our SRS.

Comment

Working...
                          X