Ruger American Gen 2 Predator unboxing and first impressions but no photos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tdbru
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

Ruger American Gen 2 Predator unboxing and first impressions but no photos.

Just picked up a new Ruger Gen2 predator in of course 6.5 Grendel. Here's my observations so far.

22" medium heavy barrel (~0.740" at muzzle) with spiral grooves
    burnt bronze cerakote well done.
    supplied 10 round magazine claims to be stainless steel with black coating.
    Picatinny rail from factory and installed with Torx cap screws.

more details:
    rifle with supplied 10 round magazine but no ammo, sling, or optics weighed in at 6lbs and 12oz. balance point at front edge of receiver.
    burnt bronze cerakote evenly applied on barreled action. Stock is injection moulded but stiffer in the forend than the first iterations due to a cross hatch webbing molded in. Still if you push you can get the stock to touch the barrel in any direction. as delivered barrel is free floated back to the action.

barreled action is similar to savage in that a barrel nut is used to set headspace and secure the barrel to the receiver. unlike savage this one is smooth. Not sure how one would get it off when the time comes to rebarrel, but I'm sure the gunsmiths will have it figured out soon.

caliber marking on the barrel is "6.5 Gren".

trigger pull measured 4lbs. 3oz from factory.

three position tang safety. works as you would expect.

trigger guard is part of the injection molded stock.

stock is finished in a medium dark flat green with burnt bronze and black splatter paint on it. decently grippy.

squishy recoil pad. LOP is adjustable by +/- spacers (not supplied in the box but available from Ruger)

height of comb is also adjustable by buying several height cheek pieces. no extra ones come in the box.

bolt is full diameter with 3 locking lugs. extractor is a post '64 Winchester model 70 style that browning is using now too, which is a sliding tab that sits in a milled out section on the front face of one of the bolt lugs.

ejector is a plunger type. bolt moved quite smoothly in the receiver with no magazine inserted. with an empty magazine inserted i could not close the bolt.
    bolt has a lot of machined surfaces on it, and all of them seem to have had the sharp edges broken. everything seemed quite smooth.

magazine is AR style so I tried some E-Landers as well as the supplied one, and they all fit/functioned. feeding was ok for the limited trial, too soon to tell about long term feeding reliability yet. but you have to run the bolt like you mean it. you can run it slow but it takes a fair bit of effort to strip the round out of the magazine. so run it like you'd pushed the bolt
    release on an AR.

the magazine release looks and functions just like the one on an AR.

The manual was nicely detailed for moderate disassembly and reassembly. gave torque readings and required wrenches for disassembly and reassembly.

the bolt shroud is plastic, but serves as nothing more than a dust cover. no applied forces on it at all throughout the bolt cycle. twin cocking ramps on the bolt. after I took the bolt shroud off per the instructions I used some black moly grease on the two cocking cam ramps and on the side of the striker firing pin back. then put the bolt shroud back on the bolt. greased the back of the recoil lugs. set bolt aside.

cleaned the barrel. about 10 patches to get all the crud out. barrel interior near the muzzle looked fairly smooth with few tool marks. crown was even. speaking of crown, I went to take off the muzzle brake as I have enough hearing loss already. I think Ruger put it on at a gazillion foot pounds of torque. I ended up putting the barrel up near the muzzle brake in a vise with thick rubber sheeting and tightening the vise quite a bit to keep the barrel from turning while trying to get the muzzle brake off. buggered up the cerakote finish on the muzzle brake getting it off. 19mm across the flats if you need to know. ended up using some KROIL and a rubber mallet on the 19mm combination wrench before I broke the threads loose on the muzzle brake.

no supplied thread protector. So I put on one of John's 3 pronged flash hiders (https://rexusoutfitters.com/rexus-ul...sh-suppressor/) and it fit nicely. the end of the barrel and the flash suppressor seemed to be identical in diameter, though I didn't measure them. the black of the flash suppressor went well with the black recoil pad and cheekpiece against the burnt bronze and green camo.

the v-blocks that are used instead of a recoil lug on the receiver seemed to be molded into the stock. Not sure if Brownells carries extra v-blocks in case one wants to go to a different stock. they come all the way through the stock and form a shoulder against which the action screws tighten, sort of like pillar bedding.

The manual also details how to adjust the weight of pull of the trigger. the allen set screw that gets turned to change the trigger pull weight is short, only 6 threads or so. The spring behind it is captured so there is a built in minimum that one can set. I was tempted just to take the set screw out, but figured I'd loose it so I put it back in for just 3 threads. the set screw quits touching the spring within about 1 turn anyway, and was the case here. the minimum adjusted pull weight on my rifle turns out to be 3lbs, 11oz. So the trigger pull weight is adjustable, but not by much.

when I loosened the action screws they "felt" like they were at about 30 inch lbs. the manual was nice enough to tell me what to tighten the action screws to. so when I put the action back into the stock, I had the barrel up with the recoil pad on the floor putting downward pressure on the barrel. this to seat the recoil v-blocks against the action and stock while I tightened the action screws. Manual said 60 to 80 inch lbs. i tightened to 65 inch lbs and called it good. the manual was complete in that it told you what hex key size for both the action screws and the trigger adjustment screw (3/16" and 3/32" respectively) would be needed. said tighten both action screws a little at a time. so I went 10inch lb increments to 60 and then added the 5 in/lb to end at 65 inch lb.

next items are to decide on scope and rings and go see how this thing shoots. and to decide on an aftermarket trigger or leave it at 3 3/4 lbs. wish it would have gone down to 2lbs or so. also wish Ruger wouldn't have put the muzzle brake on with such high torque. made it almost impossible to get off.

both Jard and TImney make a gen 2 replacement trigger. I'm thinking on these. I'll likely shoot it first before I decide to change the trigger assembly out or not.

hope you found this review worthwhile,
    tdbru

• grendelnubi
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

Wish they would have corrected the magazine issue. Cut 2 coils and the bolt will close on empty mag and when manually feeding. Also if you want you can cut some spring coils off of the trigger springs and get it much lower. I also tested a shorten spring from an ink pin and it came in around 2lbs. Ran it this way for a couple of years with no issues.

Comment

• tdbru
      Warrior
      • Dec 2019

thanks grendelnubi,
      I will consider the spring coil cut or spring swap. I was mostly posting as a detailed FYI for anyone else considering one. I know both Timney and Jard make replacement triggers, but about $150 it makes one consider. also thanks for the info on the mag spring tweak as well. When I can get it further setup and at the range I'll report some accuracy findings. Part of the issue with reporting accuracy, though, is operator inability contributes, so it's not just the result of rifle and ammo capability. So if accuracy is not as advertised, it may just be me.
      -tdbru

Comment

• tdbru
        Warrior
        • Dec 2019

some further thoughts while waiting to set this up and do barrel break-in. the action is definitely bigger than it needs to be for just the Grendel. if you're looking for a minimal sized bolt action get the Howa.

both the howa trigger and the ruger trigger feel like 2 stage triggers to me. takes a little bit of getting use to if all you've ever shot are crisp single stage triggers on your bolt guns.

with box magazines sticking down below the action line in the area of the balance, one hand carry is not as comfortable as a traditional internal magazine bolt gun. same for both howa and ruger as they come from factory.

the howa can be much lighter than the ruger with equivalent barrel lengths, if that's important.

the ruger has a new, i guess, 3 position safety behind the action on the top of the pistol grip area. "tang safety". as advertised fully forward is fire, all the way back locks the bolt and disconnects the trigger. middle position keeps the trigger disconnected but allows bolt manipulation. to hit the middle position I have to be really deliberate. the distance between each detent is very short. and I tend to blow past the middle stop most of the time, either going to fire or to full safe. so going to a 3 position safety is a feature, to be sure, but I'll likely be either fully forward of fully back on the safety I suspect.

mag release is pretty protected and not likely to get accidentally actuated in the field. the one mag they sent with drops free in my rifle when the mag release button is depressed. I think I like the AR style mag release better than the levers either in front or behind the magazine. nothing sticking down (to break off) when the magazine is not inserted. like at the range when running as a single shot.

bolt knob is big enough to easily grasp. the knob itself bolts onto the arm of the bolt at the end. as advertised, it could be swapped for something else pretty easily. this bolt knob will do for a while I think. could be a bit slick in the wet, but for a range rifle/target rifle, inclement weather is less of an issue I would think.

being 3 lug bolt, the bolt rotation is less than 90 degrees between open and close. not sure exactly how much less but there appears to be plenty of room for a scope ocular piece.

looking forward to setup, barrel break-in, and load development.
        -tdbru

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

I broke down and got one in 243, 'cause I'm still a bit hesitant on how AR mags will work (my older RAP grendel, the mags were a failure for me)... anyway I like this 243 so far, it shoots well. only drawback for me is the buttstock is sloped so doesn't work with my current rear bag setup, but I have an adjustment for that. It may wind up as an 8.5#, factory-stock version walk into the woods type of shooter. If I were certain of the AR mag behavior, that it's way improved over the gen 1, I'd consider the grendel or 6 Arc. But I have those cal's covered for now anyway. All in all I think Ruger made some progress on this gen 2 series.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• tdbru
            Warrior
            • Dec 2019

quick range report. took it out this AM. Shot some factory and handloaded ammo. Federal GMM with 130 Berger HOTM, Hornady 123gr. ELDM, Hornady 123gr. SST, Hornady American Gunner 123gr. BTHP, some handloads with 120gr. Sierra MKs. Some Nosler 90gr. Varmageddon.

did barrel break in with the Nosler 90gr. VG. target at 207 yards. took 7 rounds just to find paper. last three were on paper but 12" or bigger group. bbl break-in consisted of fire 1 shot and clean out all the copper. repeat for the first 10 shots. this process has historically delivered factory barrels that clean up easier compared to new barrels I just took out and started shooting. I don't think it affects accuracy enough that one could tell at my skill level. but it does help the barrels clean up easier afterwards.

so far neither my mini howa or this RAG2P seem to like the factory Nosler 90gr. VG wrt accuracy.

some surprises, groups were limited so keep that in consideration. the Federal GMM with the 130 bergers, the Hornady black with 123 gr. ELD-M, the Hornady SSTs didn't seem to group so well, about 2 + MOA. the surprise to me was the Hornady American Gunner with the 123gr. BTHP. If I understood correctly, Sportsmans had Hornday load a bunch of this stuff for them exclusively. Not a cataloged item. came in 200 round plastic ammo "cans". Shot under 1 MOA.

Previously in this forum in the load section I've seen many mentions that the bullet to check for grouping is the 120 SMK. My load was 30gr. of Winchester Staball Match in starline cases with a RP 7 1/2 primer. low 2400's for speed. the factory Hornady 123s were upper 2400 to lower 2500 in speed so I think I need to try 31 and maybe 32 yet. two groups, one at 1 MOA and one at 1 1/8 MOA, but in both groups I had 3 touching. So obviously I was screwing up on the other shots, opening up the groups. So I am going to explore this load combo a bit more and see if I can fine tune it some, but also I need to get better at shooting this rifle too.

magazine - if I tried to slowly load a round, factory or handload, they would jam every time. if I just ran it fast like an AR would cycle, it would feed ok. so noted.

my elander magazines worked too but exhibited the same jamming characteristic when the bolt was run slowly. the elanders worked fine with a briskly operated bolt. by the way the elanders were 2x heavier than the one that Ruger buys and ships with the gun. If I recall the sealed bag said ProMag on it. I think the elanders use thicker steel with a thicker finish. the factory mag is pretty thin walled. the factory mag will drop free. the elanders do not drop free in my rifle.

so recommendation is to run the bolt briskly.

another thing I noticed. On other short action rounds, 260 Rem, 308 Win, 243 WIn, after 3 rounds on a normal sporter barrel, the barrel is pretty warm, and possibly approaching hot. due to the modest powder charge and lower chamber pressures of the Grendel, I could go to 5 rounds strings with this medium heavy barrel contour and it would only just start to feel a little warmer than ambient temp. Nice for target shooting.

extraction and ejection functioned fine. Even dialed back as light as I could get the factory trigger to go, in this case ~3 3/4 lbs, that still made it more difficult for me for precision target shooting as compared to what a lighter trigger pull would allow. I would like to find a spring to change out the factory one with that would allow a lighter pull weight yet. maybe I need to just save up for a timney or jard, but other than the pull weight the factory trigger functions fine. And a spring should be a lot cheaper than a new trigger assembly as well.

So my conclusion is that for 200 to 300 yard target shooting, there is a lot of potential in the Gen 2 Predator for the price. Now I need to do a little more load development and practice more and see if I can learn to shoot consistently at or under 1 MOA with the off the shelf rifle.

regards,
            tdbru

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Thanks for posting a range report on your new Ruger.

Comment

• imaguy3
                Warrior
                • Mar 2018

Originally posted by tdbru View Post

magazine - if I tried to slowly load a round, factory or handload, they would jam every time. if I just ran it fast like an AR would cycle, it would feed ok. so noted.

so recommendation is to run the bolt briskly.

tdbru
                Every bolt gun should be run briskly and with authority... https://youtu.be/RdNKLLFfF5s?si=LXG8...?v=RdNKLLFfF5s

Comment

• Arkhangel5
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2016

Buddy of mine just got notification that his RAP in 22 arc was in, he picks it up Wednesday. Thanks for the review, I can tell him what to expect operation wise. He is curious to see what velocities he can achieve with the new 62gr ELD-vt bullet. He got the model you described with the 22in barrel. Should be interesting.

SY

Comment

Working...
                  X