• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • se3388
    Warrior
    • Sep 2011

Mini Mauser 6.5

Not sure anyone will believe these groups but I had just about the same results with my Ruger 77/44 barreled to 357/44 Bain & Davis by IT&D Custom Gun. This time I had my Mini Mauser barreled by IT&D Custom Gun in Minerva Oh with a Douglas XX 20 inch barrel. I tried CFE 223 and the first target is 27 grains with a 120 gr Nosler Hunting Bal-Tip, Hornady brass and Win small rifle primer. The last target is all the same except it's with 29 gr. of powder. Both targets were at 100 yds. First target is 3 rounds and the second target is only 2 rounds as one round somehow wound up with no powder in it????? wonder how that happened, LOL. I started at 27 gr and worked my way up in one half grain increments to 29 grains. Weird thing that the groups started to open up a bit from 27 grain then started back down till it got to 29 grains. I believe the speed for 29 grain was around 2565. I really love that CFE 223. I was going to try some IMR 8028 but don't see any use in it now.

Steve E..........

Pic. 1

Pic. 2
    Last edited by se3388; 03-31-2013, 03:12 PM.

I don't think I would bother chasing another powder after those results!

Comment

Pics of rifle please! Very nice shooter. I'm really enjoying CFE as well.

Comment

• se3388
        Warrior
        • Sep 2011

I used some Express Blue #1 to get some color on the barrel until I can get it blued. I degrease some 0000 steel wool and use a small propane torch to heat the metal and then swab the Express blue on after it dries I buff it with the steel wool and repeat until the desired color is reached.

Comment

That's nice. Any reason you went with high rings? I've heard some people talk about bolt throw clearance, but not sure if it was the CZ.

Total weight? Looks like a great little hunting rifle.

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Nice chootin'. Nice chooter too.
            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• se3388
              Warrior
              • Sep 2011

I was thinking they were Med rings but as I look at them they just might be high rings. They were some that was in my junk drawer so I used them. Total weight with 3 rounds in the mag is 6.4 lbs. I believe I have found my new Deer gitter, LOL.

LRRPF52
              I believe that most of the talk about problems with bolt throw is with the CZ.

txgunner00
              Thanks, I'm not sure I will be able to do it again but I don't doubt the rifle can do it again.

Steve E...........

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by se3388 View Post
                Total weight with 3 rounds in the mag is 6.4 lbs. I believe I have found my new Deer gitter, LOL.
                For sure! That's a very nice stick.
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

I take it that the magazine follower mod works well?

Comment

• se3388
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2011

adamjp

You know I've been kinda lazy and haven't even started on it.

Variable

It's a Bell & Carlson Carbelite, I like it a lot and it's pretty light.

Steve E...........

Comment

• se3388
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2011

I finally got time to take care of the follower mod. It feeds now with no problem. It is a little sticky when inserting the first round into the magazine (usually I have to push the follower down just a fraction of an inch to be able to insert the round) but the next few rounds insert with no problem, does this indicate a rail problem or more attention needed to the follower? I'm thinking follower.

Steve E............

Comment

• Von Gruff
                        Chieftain
                        • Apr 2012

Steve, I found that if I push down on the front of the cartridge and then back they load into the magazine easily. Did you have to alter the left rail at all. I found the cartridge would hold under the left rail and and needed a little relieving to get it to feed smoothly.
                        http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
                        Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• se3388
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2011

I didn't have to do anything to the feed rails, thank goodness. If I messed that up it would be expensive to fix the rails. I have an extra milled follower on hand just in case I messed that up but seemed to have done that right (for a change, LOL). Mine is just a little stubborn starting that first round INTO the magazine but feeding all of them out is no problem.

Steve E.........

Comment

Working...
                          X