Encore barrels in stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encore barrels in stock

I just saw MGM has 4 Grendel barrels in stock for the Encore. It's been a few years since I last saw some, so if you want one don't wait too long. Mine works just fine.

hm2 clark,
    Thanks for the heads up, I ordered a 26" heavy contour blued 1:8 twist barrel. My daughter in-law drew a bull elk tag in Arizona's unit 6A. I'm considering letting her use it for this hunt. As a family we drew four elk tags this year, my oldest son drew an archery Bull tag, my brother in law drew a rifle bull tag, and I drew an archery cow tag after several years of no tags. I'm grateful for the cow tag and the ability to hunt with one of my sons. but I really, really, wish I had drawn an archery bull tag. The last time I had one, I called in a bull for my best hunting buddy, Steve Johnson of Wisconsin. He made a beautiful 25 yard shot on a medium sized 6x6 bull. I passed a half dozen or more bulls looking for a better than I have taken bull which would have to be better than 360" class, and wound up never taking a shot.
    This year my oldest son and I are signed up for a week long class in Illinois on videotography and TV production from one of the best producers for The Outdoor Channel. I'm thinking of making a video of his bull elk and maybe my daughter-in-laws hunt. Here is a pic of my last called in bull.

Comment

Cool! If that video is ever up for sale, I'll buy one. If that barrel sale falls through, I would be glad to lend you a spare encore barrel in Grendel or 6.5 06. The 6.5 06 might be a better choice for the elk.

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but I got the MGM 6.5 Grendel barrel, and I think it will do well for her. It didn't shoot bad but also not good enough when I got it, about 1.5 MOA. So, I went to work on it and replaced the locking spring with a Belm Heavy duty spring to make sure it got a good consistent lock up, a heavy hammer spring, a firing pin return spring and a new sear spring. I also replaced the hinge pin with a 1X oversized pin and then replaced the forearm screw with longer trimmed to fit screws and standoffs so the forearm is now only touching the barrel at the screws. Now it shoots sub MOA with the Hornady 123 grains SST.
        Here is a short video of the first day at the range after the modifications.
        Bob
        Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Comment

Nice rifle and video!

I love my 24" medium weight Encore in 6.5, but mine is in 6.5x55 Swede. It's my "go to" whitetail rifle.

Comment

I considered the 6.5 Creedmoor for this Encore barrel as well. They had both in stock. I own two other 6.5 Creedmoors and it is a very easy caliber to load for and the factory loads are top notch. My McMillan 2K in 6.5 Creedmoor will shoot less than .5 MOA with both the Hornady 120 and 140 A-max factory loads. But in this case I was more interested in low recoil for my daughter in law, my light weight Model 7 6.5 Creedmoor whacked her too hard. And besides, I just like the 6.5 Grendel.
            Bob

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

That is a beautiful looking elk. Did you get the head mounted? I think it is great your recording your hunts. Some of the best times I had growing up were hunting seasons with my late father. We just hunted for meat and never thought about taking many pictures for posterity. We turned in some beautiful elk racks to Ruana knife works for free hunting knifes. I would give just about anything today to have videos of my hunting trips in my youth to share with my family. I hope you and your daughter in law have a great hunting experience. I'll be looking forward to any more pictures you have of your hunts and how the Grendel round performs. Thank's for sharing.

Comment

Enccores need a little tlc.. I also lik the encore hammer that goes off to the side. It keeps me from pinching my thumb.

Comment

The elk is mounted and now lives in Northern Wisconsin at my friends lake cabin. The other cool thing about the Encore is that my son took his first elk with the same rifle. He was 14 years old when I called in a 6x6 for him and he shot it at 140 yards with the 50 caliber muzzle loader barrel on the Encore frame. It is his wife who will now have a chance to shoot her first elk with the same rifle her husband took his first elk with. That will be nice if it works out.
                  Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X