Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • longdayjake

Bolt action frustration.

I believe that there is a HUGE potential market for FACTORY bolt action in 6.5 Grendel.

I recently got a 07 FFL and was looking into getting a little niche market going so I contacted CZ and asked them about having a 527 grendel made. I offered to buy 500 of them to start so that they could justify changing the tooling and doing a little bit of work on the magazines. At first, they sounded very interested. Then they said that it would be more than a year before they could consider doing a project like that because they were having difficulty filling all of their current backlogs.

So, I contacted Mossberg about having some MVP's made in 6.5 Grendel. I offered to pay for the first 500 or so of them and the only response was really stupid.
    Sir we came out this year with the MVP in .7.62 x .308 . It will be hitting the market by the end of the month . If you like I can send you a catalog so you can see this models that we offer.

There are two ways to find this product. One is to work with your local dealer to see if they can locate the product for you.
    So, who here knows how to make rifles and wants to work for me? I'm sick of depending on other companies to make what I want.

We sort of went through this here http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-big-questions...

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

You might get a better response by starting smaller, like ~50 units or so. Whether a manufacturer or a smaller custom builder, 500 rifles might mean too may eggs in one basket for a prolonged period of time, which could alienate their core customer base.

There are numerous custom builders out there that might could steer you in the right direction. If places like Short Action Customs, Phoenix Custom Rifles, etc are not directly interested, they might know someone starting out, with the skills but lacking the notoriety, that would jump at the opportunity to get their name out there. Of course, you and the builder would need a source for components (actions, barrels, stocks, etc).

Here's an example of how EuroOptics worked a deal with Sako and GAP for a small run (49 units) of semi-custom 22's that took ~1 year to complete:

If you found the right people, it might be possible to do something similar (but perhaps with fewer options) for Grendel rifles.

I agree that there's opportunity in the market, but I would be apprehensive with a 500-rifle commitment in the initial run.
      Drifter

Comment

Working...
      X