• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doon
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Doon View Post
    I have just purchased a Savage 12 stainless 270 WSM action and are seriously considering a build in the 6.5 Saum or the 6.5 PRC.
    Looking at the specs I am leaning towards the PRC just because it is already available with regards to brass, reamers and factory ammunition etc.
    Both great cartridges but not much difference between them in the real World unless I have missed something!!!

Well I finally got my 6.5 PRC together, probably the first one in NZ.
    Fired my first 10 shots today with some 123gn sst, 2970 fps with a very mild load of 2213sc.
    The 10 shot string basically grouped under an inch from 50 gn to 54.5 gn of powder.
    Plan to work up some 143 eld-x when I have some more shots down the pipe.
    The recoil is very mild.
    Very happy its a shooter.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Doon View Post
      Well I finally got my 6.5 PRC together, probably the first one in NZ.
      Fired my first 10 shots today with some 123gn sst, 2970 fps with a very mild load of 2213sc.
      The 10 shot string basically grouped under an inch from 50 gn to 54.5 gn of powder.
      Plan to work up some 143 eld-x when I have some more shots down the pipe.
      The recoil is very mild.
      Very happy its a shooter.
      What is your build list?
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• adamjp
        Warrior
        • Oct 2014

It seems that Bruce Bertram in Victoria Australia is making 6.5 and 7mm SAUM brass, with PRC coming too.

Experiences so far suggest that it is superior to the Hornady stuff for longevity, but I've not seen any reports on consistency.

Comment

• Doon
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by adamjp View Post
          It seems that Bruce Bertram in Victoria Australia is making 6.5 and 7mm SAUM brass, with PRC coming too.

Experiences so far suggest that it is superior to the Hornady stuff for longevity, but I've not seen any reports on consistency.

Comment

• Doon
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
            What is your build list?
            Savage model 12 target action
            Shilen select match #3 contour fluted at 24 “
            Barrel and bolt fluted by Gunworks Nz.
            Manson reamer .188 freebore reamer
            13.5” Gunworks suppressor also supplied and fitted by Gunworks
            MDT lss chassis with magpul PRS gen 2 stock
            Warne 20 moa rail, Warne medium rings
            Vortex viper hs 4-16 x44 scope.

That’s about it, if considering a build be carefull as there are two reamers on the market,.188 freebore is Saami and the .133 is not and can push the hornady 143 eldex into the lands with a short action.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Slightly pondering it (well more than slightly if I am inquiring about a build list) as my winter project. Probably should spend the money on getting some training in LR shooting rather than a bigger rifle as a crutch for the one shooting match that I go to.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Doon
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                Slightly pondering it (well more than slightly if I am inquiring about a build list) as my winter project. Probably should spend the money on getting some training in LR shooting rather than a bigger rifle as a crutch for the one shooting match that I go to.
                Everyone needs a winter project, this was mine.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by SHORT-N-SASSY View Post
                  Doon,

I think it's fair to state that either cartridge would work well in a Savage Model 12 action, which magazine inside length is approximately 3 inches. That said, consider the following:

AR-type rifles (with some restrictions on magazine capacity) are legal for civilians to own, in New Zealand;

New Zealand Army adopts LMT AR-10 for new Designated Marksman Rifle;
                  (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...arksman-rifle/), related article, (https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...itains-l129a1/)

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij7b1te6LHo) See 5:42 - 5:54

Now, consider the AR-10 rifle, shown above, chambered for the .308/7.62x51mm NATO cartridge, vs the AR-10 rifle, below, chambered for a short-action magnum cartridge (the .300 Winchester Short Magnum, in this case). Both, auto-load, flawlessly ---

The 2.955" Max C.O.L. of the Hornady factory-loaded 6.5 PRC prohibits its use in the short-action auto-loading AR-10.

As you no doubt are aware, the 6.5 RSAUM is presently available as a loaded cartridge from the Copper Creek Cartridge Co. And, I'm doing my best to get Remington to add the 6.5 RSAUM to their list of factory-loaded cartridges, as well:
                  (https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precisio...-7781/#i105217)
                  (https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precisio...-7781/#i106030)

In short: Whereas, the typical C.O.L. of the 6.5 RSAUM allows the shooter the choice of bolt-action or auto-loading rifles, the 2.955" Max C.O.L of the Hornady factory-loaded 6.5 PRC limits the shooter to bolt-action rifles, only.

Good Luck, on which ever you choose.
                  It's a new day for the 6.5mm SAUM 4S : < http://www.ar15.com/forums/Precision...page=2#i115627 >

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                    Love the concept, following objective performance verification with interest. As Bill notes, usually when performance exceeds known parameters and the conventional laws of physics and metallurgy, a healthy dose of wait-and-see is called for.

But I always root for the success of efficient 6.5mm cartridges, so if the .26 Nosler deserves to come to market, this cartridge deserves a place in the market 10 times over.
                    Under the heading, Savage Arms "blasting into our next chapter" with the MSR 10 6.5mm SAUM 4S, I today sent the following email to Savage Arms Marketing Director, Beth Shimanski ---

Part 1:

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2013

Today's email to Beth Shimanski, Marketing Director, Savage Arms, Part 2:

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2013

During a July 24, 2019 phone conversation with PRIME Ammunition C.E.O., Jim O'Shaughnessy, I asked when our sport-shooting world can expect the highly-anticipated Made-in-the-USA Prime Ammunition 6.5mm SAUM 4S ammunition. He answered, "Next, the 6mm Creedmoor, then, the 6.5mm SAUM 4S."

From the PRIME Ammunition facebook ---

Comment

Working...
                        X