My New Savage 6.5 Grendel Build !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it one of the newer single feed mags that mount to the stock or the older stagger feed mag whose tabs mount to the receiver? I've had both versions in .223. I've never seen a 7.62x39 mag but I assume it has a removable spacer for longer OALs like the .223s do?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
      Is it one of the newer single feed mags that mount to the stock or the older stagger feed mag whose tabs mount to the receiver? I've had both versions in .223. I've never seen a 7.62x39 mag but I assume it has a removable spacer for longer OALs like the .223s do?
      It is centerfeed.

Effie from Savage said it is a .223 follower, but the mag itself is different.

On another note, the DBM parts fit perfectly, the bull barrel does not as Boyd's does not make a Tacticool DBM with a Bull Barrel option ... only factory standard. So tomorrow I'll be using a 1 inch dowel and sandpaper to make the barrel channel large enough for my bull barrel ! BTW the DBM stock is for my Mod10 FP-SR not my Grendel build.

wll

Comment

• Tedward
        Banned
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by wll View Post
        Want to finish as soon as I can .... ordered primary Arms 4x14x44 FFP scope today !

This is coming together quick !

wll
        Post on that scope as soon as you can, I am thinking of ordering one too. Just worried about the FFP, Might go with the 4x16 PA but just cant make up my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
          Post on that scope as soon as you can, I am thinking of ordering one too. Just worried about the FFP, Might go with the 4x16 PA but just cant make up my mind.
          i have the 4x16 also and for the money it can't be beat. That scope will stay on my Mod 10 FP-SR as that is a bench gun and nothing more.
          i ordered 4x14 FFP Primary Arms for my build and my Mod 10 H&S Precision stocked gun as these are to be long range and I want to learn Mil-rad scope configurations.

Bottom line is if you want Mil-rad and FFP get the 4x14 .... If you want to shoot off the bench for fun, go with the 4x16 ... either way I don't think you will be disappointed.

My 4x16 is a very good scope and I can't see me spending 2 to 3 times as much and getting a better scope ! It is on my .308 bench gun and it is fantastic ! If I was fighting overseas, than maybe, but for shooting off the bench and shooting paper and gongs, you can't go wrong !

wll

Comment

Got my bolt and follower yesterday, the blind mag was the wrong size, called Effie and she is sending the correct size out.

Got the scopes in, did not even look at them yet as I get the barrel today and will install tomorrow ;- )

wll

Comment

It would be really cool if you took pictures of the build progress along the way, and posted them.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                It would be really cool if you took pictures of the build progress along the way, and posted them.
                Agreed. Pics or BAN I say.

Comment

Originally posted by adamjp View Post
                  Agreed. Pics or BAN I say.
                  Well I got it together and it is awesome. I have a Primary Arms 4x14x44mm scope on it. The 28 Inch McGowen barrel looks great. The barrel install went great, used Pro Gold on the barrel threads and it was smoooooth !

Used the no go, go gauges and they worked great. Put go gauge in and got a nice fit, removed the go gauge and indexed the barrel and receiver using a black marker, smacked the barrel nut with a hard plastic hammer a couple of times and the receiver moved a very little bit. Put no go gauge in and I could not close the bolt ... put go gauge in and the bolt closes fine ;- )

Will send pic later ; -)

wll

Comment

Here is a pic, I hope to have better images in the next few days !

Will send better pics later ; -)

Might add, a level will be added to the scope set up for the next pic .....

Got to tell you this is a very bad a%% set up ! it is very clean, very low recoil, very high BC. It is a set up for getting the most out of the least !

Will report the ballistics when I get the reloading components !

wll
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-05-2013, 12:56 AM.

Comment

wll- that is a handsome rifle! Gotta love savages. Did you know about "tuning" the action screws with an inch/ lb. wrench? It made a difference on my savage model 12 LRP.
                      one more thing to "tweak" ha ha. good job, nice rifle, sir.
                      -mike

Comment

Comment

• BjornF16
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

Nice looking!

Does that laminate stock have pillars installed? Did you glass bed the action?
                          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                            Nice looking!

Does that laminate stock have pillars installed? Did you glass bed the action?
                            As it stands now it does not have pillars, nor is it glass bedded. I will take it to the range to see how it does and then decide if she needs it.

Bullets are coming in today and need to set up my reloading room table as I have not done that since moving.

Just bought some factory ammo and that should be in next week some time, and then I'll test her out.

wll

Comment

Working...
                            X