Grendel SR mauser...........can it be accurate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smokepole50

Grendel SR mauser...........can it be accurate?

Okay, I just deleted/edited the wrong post. I did not think you could go back and change things once someone else had replyed to you post.

So...........My original post was about using a SR 1894 Mauser action to build a Grendel......thats the long and short of it.......sorry.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2014, 01:22 AM. Reason: edited by mistake
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

SP50:

Given you put it together properly, it will be as accurate as the barrel you use. Your barrel will probably cost more than the rest of the rifle aside from the optic if you use an optic.

After the barrel, it is the sighting system and then the trigger. If you use a poor sighting system, you will get poor results. Your Mausers apparently have service grade triggers so you will need an after market trigger. And probably a better stock if you really want consistently good performance

Then there is the human factor. No matter how good a rifle and ammo are, if the shooter sucks, performance will suck as well.

Light or heavy, it won't be cheap if you want performance.

LR55

Comment

• Smokepole50

Well the cheap part will come because I have all the parts except the barrel, reamer and modern trigger. I have the tool to drill the receiver for scope mounts and the vice and wrench to install the barrel. I would just need someone to thread the barrel and chamber it. I could even do that if I can find a short chambered barrel and buy a finnish reamer. I would target a light weight stock like those seen on many Swedish sporters of old with a free floated barrel and steel bed or accuraglass the original Mauser stock.

As I said before about the 7.62x39 rifle I have already built, it cycles the cartridges just fine in the 1894 7mm Mauser action but I have often wondered how much accuracy is affected by the fact that the case head is smaller that the bolt face. I know the chamber pretty much determines the cartridge position from shot to shot but I wonder how much effect the case head position as it is directed by the bolt face has an impact on bullet initial engagement into the throat as the cartridge is fired. If the cartridge case head is not reliably centered in the same place by the bolt face each time then the chamber wall will be the only consistant or inconsistant control. How much will this affect accuracy? Maybe less that my beating heart I wonder?
      Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2014, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Smokepole50 View Post
        Well the cheap part will come because I have all the parts except the barrel, reamer and modern trigger. I have the tool to drill the receiver for scope mounts and the vice and wrench to install the barrel. I would just need someone to thread the barrel and chamber it. I could even do that if I can find a short chambered barrel and buy a finnish reamer. I would target a light weight stock like those seen on many Swedish sporters of old with a free floated barrel and steel bed or accuraglass the original Mauser stock.

As I said before about the 7.62x39 rifle I have already built, it cycles the cartridges just fine in the 1894 7mm Mauser action but I have often wondered how much accuracy is affected by the fact that the case head is smaller that the bolt face. I know the chamber pretty much determines the cartridge position from shot to shot but I wonder how much effect the case head position as it is directed by the bolt face has an impact on bullet initial engagement into the throat as the cartridge is fired. If the cartridge case head is not reliably centered in the same place by the bolt face each time then the chamber wall will be the only consistant or inconsistant control. How much will this affect accuracy? Maybe less that my beating heart I wonder?
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Smokepole50

Bingo! Why didn't I think of that. That would take care of most of the issue I think. Thanks Variable

Comment

I use a Redding 6mm PPC bushing die to resize my Grendel cases (292 bushing though). Works like charm.

As for velocity - I am getting 2996fps from 100gn NBTs out of a 21in barrel. Not sure how that compares with what people are really getting from an AR, but IIRC it is a couple of hundred fps faster.

Comment

• Smokepole50

Okay......this is the post I meant to edit.

Let me ask a couple simple questions.....

Is anyone using the 130gr bullets in the Grendel bolt actions?

I have deleted the question about longer throats...............man I don't want to reopen that can of worms. I just read the 10 page thread about all the different throat angles and the issues and various opinions. I never new.......... It just goes to show you how much you can miss when you stop hanging out on a given forum for awhile because your interested in Mausers as well.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2014, 02:18 AM. Reason: I more clear question

Comment

130gr Swift Sicorcos in my converted Remington 700. Sure. Even 140gr PSPs.

Comment

• Smokepole50

Are you hunting with the 130-140gr bullets or just punching paper?

Comment

I dont punch much paper anymore. I still hunt some. Hogs and small(180 lb ish) deer and chance met varmits.( Armidillo, bobcat,nutria skunks coons) I like to use pointed soft point bullets. I dont think I have ever lost an animal I hit in the chest. I keep my ranges reasonable. I dont think I have used anything bigger then the Remington 140gr psp.

Comment

• Smokepole50

Have you ever taked a deer with the 120gr Remington Core-lok? If so, did you get two holes? Concerning 120-123 gr bullets in general, is a lung shot necessary for two holes or can you punch through both shoulders with the 120's?

HM2.....you need to delete some post in your in box.
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2014, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks box is now empty. My memory is that I have killed 2 bucks with the 120gr Remington psp. I heard somewhere that the 6.5 psp was made for the 6.5 Remington mag, so they are hard bullets I was my favorite bullet for years. . Anyway, both deer from a treestand, maybe 120 yards maybe 160 lb deer. First head on, went in chest stopped in rear back thigh muscle>20 inch penetration and in a straight line; deer never went 2 feet. Another buck from full broadside, high shoulder broke 1 rib going in 1 coming out,lots of blood and lung nearby. bang thump. . Oh and the 130gr Accubond is a fine hunting bullet also. I conclude that there are a lot of good 120-13-gr hunting bullets out there,

Comment

Working...
                        X