• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maverick5582
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

Savage Bolt Gun in 6.5 Grendel

Well now that I can post again after losing all my posts in the recent hack attack I am starting on my 6.5 Grendel bolt gun.

I have a Savage 11 FCNS 7.62 x 39 action with a on the way. Drop box magazine. I plan on shooting 107-129 grain bullets. So I am thinking 1 in 9 twist with a 24" barrel.

What is the best reamer to use for a bolt gun since I am assuming that a .295" neck will work best for a bolt gun? At this point I do not know what the mag length C.O.L. will be.

Any recommendations?
    Si vis para bellium (If you seek peace, prepare for war!)
  • maverick5582
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

Dang, not one comment. I must have nailed it right off the bat!

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

BjornF16 has a thread for a similar project. I did my homework and collected most of the components to make a rifle on the same Savage only using a Shillen barrel instead of the Pac-Nor he chose.

1/9" twist is almost certainly fine for anything up to 129gr. That is the twist rate I went with as well. I have done lots of hand wringing and I am not at all convinced 1/8" twist would not have been a better idea.

I am sorry I can't help you with what reamer would be best for you. I am positive that others can (and have in other threads).

Comment

• maverick5582
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2014

Yes, I read BjornF16 post. I am leaning toward the Pac-Nor barrel. Chris at Pac-nor sent me a copy of his reamer print. I have looked at the .264 LBC print and there is very little difference except in the lead and throat area, and we are talking about .005" between the two. Both of the reamers I have looked at so far are from Pacific tool. One neck is .2948" and the other is .295".

The last barrel I chambered for my AR-15 was chambered with Manson reamer from an AA print. I am not trying to re-invent the wheel here. I just want to be sure before I settle on a barrel which chamber I am getting. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

You are most welcome! Our thoughts were the same. I wanted nothing but SAAMI spec for all of mine to include bolt action. I can see why one would prefer a longer throat if they were going to use it as a single shot, but I was hoping not to do so. lol

Pac-Nor seems like a no-brainer. I am not going to disparage the one I bought before I try it. It is still yet to be sent out for Melanite at the moment, so it won't be particularly soon.

Hopefully someone will sort you out about that reamer, I will be happy to have my memory refreshed about that point as well.

Comment

• BjornF16
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by maverick5582 View Post
            Yes, I read BjornF16 post. I am leaning toward the Pac-Nor barrel. Chris at Pac-nor sent me a copy of his reamer print. I have looked at the .264 LBC print and there is very little difference except in the lead and throat area, and we are talking about .005" between the two. Both of the reamers I have looked at so far are from Pacific tool. One neck is .2948" and the other is .295".

The last barrel I chambered for my AR-15 was chambered with Manson reamer from an AA print. I am not trying to re-invent the wheel here. I just want to be sure before I settle on a barrel which chamber I am getting. Thanks for the reply.
            Can you send me the reamer print?...I didn't bother asking.
            LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Von Gruff
              Chieftain
              • Apr 2012

I went with a .293 neck for my Grendel Max and while there are a few changes to lengthen the COAL it is still using Grendel brass as well as the 7.62x39.
              I wanted every advantage in my bolt rifle
              http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
              Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• maverick5582
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                Can you send me the reamer print?...I didn't bother asking.
                I sent you an email.

Comment

• maverick5582
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2014

Shillen sent me a copy of their reamer print today. Their throat dimension is 2.0738" which is .0232" less than Pac-Nor's reamer which is 2.097". Pac-Nor still has the nod at this time.

Comment

• JASmith
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by maverick5582 View Post
                    Shillen sent me a copy of their reamer print today. Their throat dimension is 2.0738" which is .0232" less than Pac-Nor's reamer which is 2.097". Pac-Nor still has the nod at this time.
                    Are we talking about the Grendel or really stretched version?
                    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• maverick5582
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                      Are we talking about the Grendel or really stretched version?
                      Basically it is all Grendel. I am hoping that QuickLoad will work a little better with the bolt gun than the AR-15.
                      Last edited by maverick5582; 11-15-2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• JASmith
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2014

There seems to be a typo.

Those dimensions are longer than the case, throat, and the convergence to bore
                        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                        -- Author Unknown

Comment

• maverick5582
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2014

There seems to be a typo.

Those dimensions are longer than the case, throat, and the convergence to bore
                          [IMG][/IMG]

Here is the Pac-Nor print. The Shilen is an Excel file I am having trouble loading it. The Shilen dimension for throat is 2.0738"
                          Last edited by maverick5582; 11-15-2014, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• JASmith
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2014

Ah yes, the difference between SAAMI spec and variants is again illustrated!

The listed dimension is where the throat ends and bore diameter starts.

More significant is the point where the throat gets tighter than the OD so standard bullets. That would be the start of the throat. The shoulder of the bullet won't go further forward than about this point without engraving lands onto the bullet.
                            shootersnotes.com

-- Author Unknown

Comment

• maverick5582
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2014

Ah yes, the difference between SAAMI spec and variants is again illustrated!

The listed dimension is where the throat ends and bore diameter starts.

More significant is the point where the throat gets tighter than the OD so standard bullets. That would be the start of the throat. The shoulder of the bullet won't go further forward than about this point without engraving lands onto the bullet.
                              So I am assuming that you are referring to the point that the lands start at .256" diameter?
                              Last edited by maverick5582; 11-15-2014, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X