What needs to be done to my bolt going from .243 to 6.5 Grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Or take a 129gr SST even, at 2650fps. 2011ft-lbs at the muzzle, 1291fpe at 300yds. That's a killer little mountain rifle. Or the 129gr ABLR, which will be 1375fpe at 300yds at sea level.
    Where I'm at most of the year, the baro pressure is way lower, so at around 6600ft ASL, the energy would be 1580fpe at 300yds.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• FW Conch
      Warrior
      • Nov 2014

I just did a Grendel build on a Savage action, and although I got all the bolt parts, I haven't installed them yet, and just shoot it with the .473" bolt face, the one that came with the 22-250 donor action, same as your 243. I only have 20 rounds through it so far, but it fires and ejects just fine.

Eventually I will install the right parts, but I heard it could be done this way and I just wanted to see for myself.

Good luck with your build and let us know how it goes.........Jim :-))

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by FW Conch View Post
        ...Eventually I will install the right parts, but I heard it could be done this way and I just wanted to see for myself...
        I tried that with the 20 Grendel and it worked most of the time with only occasional sessions with the cleaning rod to clear an expended case from the bore.

After about 150 - 200 rounds (or a change in load or case prep) the frequency got to be about every third or fourth round. That prompted me to install the bolt face I bought at the beginning of the project.
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• FW Conch
          Warrior
          • Nov 2014

Thanks for the heads up "JA". I can see where it could go that route. I'll change mine out as soon as I get the chance.

Comment

• JASmith
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2014

I know the OP is working on a Remington, but do any of the folks who have or are converting Savages know of a current source for 7.62x39 magazines for the Model 16 or equivalent?

I put off buying one when I started the 20 Grendel project because I intended the primary mode for the beginning would be single shot. I felt I could defer the added challenges of making a magazine work until after the basic ballistics work had been finished. Now they don't seem to b available.
            shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
            -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
            X