• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Advise me on a build for my daughter

First, i would love to build her a grendel out of this but i just cant see replacing a perfectly good bolt that will work with the 260.

My dad gave me a Remington 700 in "284 improved". Looks like someone just blew the shoulders out on a 284 win. A couple years ago, i tried to get it to shoot and wasnt impressed so i gave it back to him.

Once again, he has given it to me. Now im thinking about having a 260 built for my daughter. My dilemma is which contour to go with and what length. I want to keep the length down to help with "handling". I want it to be light enough to carry comfortably yet hefty enough to keep recoil down.

Any problem with this: heavier contour but shorter length, say 20" including the break?

Thanks!
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail
  • Sniper338
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

A 284 win round is made "stock" improved.... and its a freaking amazing round.... the more improved version is a 284 shehane. A 284 is one of the most accurate rounds made.. its up there with a 6br 6 dasher 6ppc etc... just inhearently accurate... its an awesome round for long range.

As far as building a 260 out of it yes it will work... the norm for a 260 is a 26 inch barrel, i run a 28 inch on mine. Its not as good of a performer with a shorter barrel as a 308 or 7mm08 though... if you want to keep it lighter whichever way you go sounds like a remington varmint contour is what your looking for.... 8 twist rate is what you will want....

look up ross schuler muzzle brakes... thats what i run on all of my rifles. They are side port and work freaking amazingly.. $45... absolutely cant beat it... my 260 feels like ahooting a ruger 10-22 recoil wise...

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

I tried factory ammo, i tried reloading with the dies it came with, but couldnt get it to shoot under 1.5" at 100.

It didnt feed to good either. I think some wanna be gun smith did this work. Im going to start over using some decent parts and competent builder.

Would it be totally stupid to keep the length down kinda like the 700 sps tactical?

26" of barrel gets real long when trying to get it out a 3x3 box stand window.

I will check out those breaks.
      Last edited by rabiddawg; 01-15-2015, 09:22 PM.

Mark Twain

Comment

• adamjp
        Warrior
        • Oct 2014

A new barrel in 260 would work well. I've just done a 260 for a bloke and it has a 22in Mountain Profile barrel. Works like a charm, in the ultralight stock and with a Leupold 2-7x28 Ultralight scope it weighs in at a huge 5lb 10oz ready to hunt.

Don't get too concerned by a 22in barrel. The 20in may be a little loud, but if you are putting a muzzle brake on it will be that way anyway.

100gn NBT loaded is a great bullet for kids. Light recoil, flat trajectory and enough killing power to flatten a pig or deer without fuss.

Another you could consider is a 6mm BR with a 1:8 twist. Loaded with a 105gn VLD they shoot really flat, recoil not much at all, and kill far beyond their profile would suggest. Best way to get one to feed in the Rem700 is an AICS style DBM and modified AICS 223 magazine box. The removable magazine is also handy for kids - nothing in the rifle until they fit the magazine box.

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

I considered 7-08 but figured i would always have 6.5mm pills around for my grendels.

Mark Twain

Comment

• johnjohn
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2014

Sniper338 do you have pictures of one of your guns with the Ross Schuler brake on. I would love to see it. How the brake contours to the main part of the barrel.

Thanks

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

If you don't mind had loading all of her ammunition, a 6.5 BR might be a good choice.

Otherwise that 6 BR with Norma throat and tight twist might serve her well unless or until she goes after Elk or larger.
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

I wouldn't put a brake on a hunting rifle, especially for a youth. The .260 Rem also has some recoil to it in a lightweight gun, but can be mitigated like Adamjp mentioned with the lighter projectiles.

I'm also a fan of the .284 Winchester-one of the most overlooked cartridges that offers a lot of performance from a short action, that is also relatively easy to shoot being a 7mm.

You could also do a 6.5x47 Lapua, and easily make reduced recoil loads with that without having too little case fill.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rabiddawg
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2013

I should have been more up front, my daughter is a 20 year old college student.

But like her dad, she is recoil sensitive. Thats why i wanted something not too light but not too heavy for her to carry.

As for noise, i am totally deaf in my right ear so i haven't fired a round without hearing protection in 25 years. Climber or box, i sit with an ear plug in my hand ready to stuff in place. She does the same thing.

I decided on 260 because it would just be a barrel swap and ammo would be more available when old dad isnt around any more to reload for her.

Mark Twain

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Keep in mind you will need more than ear plugs with muzzle brakes. They trash your ears without certain levels of protection that only come with muffs, or muffs and plugs.

I personally like .260 Rem, but the ammo availability clearly goes to the 6.5 Creedmoor.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• FW Conch
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2014

There are a lot of hunting rifles out there that can't shoot better than 1.5" that harvest game every year. But I bet with a little more work, you could get that rifle down to MOA. As mentioned, the 284 is a great round, and can be downloaded to 260 territory. You might not want to give up on it to quickly? :-))

Comment

• rabiddawg
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by FW Conch View Post
                        There are a lot of hunting rifles out there that can't shoot better than 1.5" that harvest game every year. But I bet with a little more work, you could get that rifle down to MOA. As mentioned, the 284 is a great round, and can be downloaded to 260 territory. You might not want to give up on it to quickly? :-))
                        That crossed my mind but remember this one is "improved". It has a shoulder more like a weatherby cartridge. I want something that she can buy ammo for off the shelf. Daddy plans on being around for a long time but not forever

Mark Twain

Comment

• FW Conch
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2014

If you could post a picture of the round, I'm sure there are more than me who would like to see it.

Thanks ... Jim

Edit ... ! I'll bet you could teach her to reload in short order :-)
                          Last edited by FW Conch; 01-16-2015, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2013

[IMG][/IMG]

here is a pic of the aforementioned 284. left to right 243, 284, 30-06

Mark Twain

Comment

• JASmith
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2014

Moving back to the OP, I am of the opinion that either the 260 or the Creedmoor are excellent choices even though I would favor the Grendel for my own use.
                              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
                              X