• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ramslammer
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2014

G'Day
    Had a micro Howa in my hands today. It was .223 but feels pretty good and still think I'll seriously look at one in Grendel if they happen.
    Juddy

Comment

• southern180
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
      It looks like neither offers the SAAMI chamber as standard. As Drift points out, that is not necessarily a detriment, especially since a bolt gunt gives more latitutude with respect to COAL, especially when the magazine is set up for the .243 Win.

PacNor did my 20 Grendel barrel, and I have been very happy with it.
      Have talked with both makers about the chambers, both clam they do 6.5 G they call them both match and say its same reamer , Im told they do thr chambers on the deep side to allow the GS to cut the end of the end of the barrel to the correct head space for the action. both the CZ and Howa have no shoulder on barrel and seat on a ridge inside the rec. ring. the barrels Im looking at are replacement barrels not blanks. Thanks for the input and anymore would help

Comment

• am4966
        Chieftain
        • Jul 2014

If your looking for barrels- x caliber barrels makes a grendel barrel, the Smith who told me about them. Said there in same ball park as Shilen and he sold Shilen. I don't know what the chamber demnsions are. But I just remembered lol. I think I'll email them and get info.
        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• adamjp
          Warrior
          • Oct 2014

Howa Micro Action Photos...

Howa Short Action v Howa Micro Action
          Howa SA v Howa MA 2.jpg

Howa MA DBM.jpg

Howa Micro Action
          Howa SA v Howa MA.jpg

Howa Micro Action DBM
          Howa MA.jpg

The receiver is about 180thou less width, the bolt about 70 thou less dia. although still .62 in.

The DBM is all plastic, with the magazine release on the front.

Front and rear bridge have been profiled for Rem700 bases.

Trigger assembly appears to be standard Howa.

Bolt handle is scaled to the action size and is different to that found on the normal rifles.

Simply gagging to be Grendelised.
          Last edited by adamjp; 08-22-2015, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Thanks for posting the pictures adamjp! Now if Howa would just get the 6.5 Grendel's to the distributors. I think I'd like to try a Howa 20" bull barrel 6.5 Grendel in a Houge over molded stock. From your pictures the 1500 Micro Action 223 looks like it had the 22" tapered barrel, is that correct?

Comment

• am4966
              Chieftain
              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
              Thanks for posting the pictures adamjp! Now if Howa would just get the 6.5 Grendel's to the distributors. I think I'd like to try a Howa 20" bull barrel 6.5 Grendel in a Houge over molded stock. From your pictures the 1500 Micro Action 223 looks like it had the 22" tapered barrel, is that correct?
              Yes, I'd like it with a 20"-22" barrel, I'd shoot the factory barrel for a little bit. Until I saved money for a new barrel, I've always wanted a Broughton 5C. But id have to think about what barrel when it came down to it.
              12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
              Surge - Rugged Suppressor
              Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• adamjp
                Warrior
                • Oct 2014

I didn't measure the barrel length, but it was the sporter profile and the rifle was very light and balanced well as a stalker, not a varmiter.

As they don't list a barrel shorter than 20in, I'm going with 20in length.

Comment

• Drift
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2014

You know, if Howa ever gets around to selling the Grendel as a lightweight hunting rifle to be used on North American whitetail deer, there gonna make a fortune. Factory ammo in multiple varieties will explode onto the shelf of sporting goods stores. Other hunting rifle manufactures will rush to compete and prices will go down.

Comment

• SteveFrench
                    Unwashed
                    • Jan 2015

The comments in this article appear to be from a Legacy Sports rep and they confirm the Grendel for 2016.

Comment

• kmon
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2015

Very cool, will be glad when they are available

Comment

• Drift
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2014

Lets see; 5.6 pounds. 20 inch barrel. So maybe put a 2x7 Leupold VX-R on it. You end up with a hunting rife that weighs in at 6lbs and shoots accurately to 1000 yards. What other production rifle even comes close?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

With Hornady already having the ammo on the market with SST and Amax loads and
                          GMX coming . . . Andy McCormick, President, Legacy Sports International, Inc
                          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                          X