• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roe
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Verifying Grendel trajectory

I have now settled on my hunting load:
    Shooting the 123gr Amax at 774 meters per second.
    I have now verified my trajectory and will build custom turrets.
    From observing the impact on steel and having a so-so feel for what this will do to deer, it looks like 90% of my shots are covered by this cartridge.

I think the quiet report, lack of recoil and enhanced observation during recoil will give a few more deer if they drop as expected.

• am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

Great shooting! I'd love a Grendel in a Sako action.
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• 1911man
      Warrior
      • May 2015

Very Nice.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Excellent video!

Comment

• wraith1516
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Great video great looking rifle

Comment

• jawbone
            Warrior
            • Jan 2012

great video!

Comment

• JPShooter
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2015

Enjoyed your video as well as other's on your page. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Another superb video. No blabbing, just pure meat and potatoes, beautiful scenery, excellent shooting, with a practical demonstration of compensating for trajectory using modern technology.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

^
                  |
                  |
                  |
                  Exactly what he said.
                  Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                  We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Roe
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Thanks for that guys.
                    Really starting to like this cartridge. We've had a few warm days which makes for a lot of mirage here, and with the low recoil I can really follow the bullet trace in.
                    Was out testing my mockup turrets now and putting them into production. They were dead on, but for next season I'll need a 30-35 MOA rail on my rifle - my double turn PMII only gives me 520 meters on the clicks with the mount as-is.

Comment

• Kikn
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2011

Nice video Roe; and shooting as well.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Roe View Post
                        Thanks for that guys.
                        Really starting to like this cartridge. We've had a few warm days which makes for a lot of mirage here, and with the low recoil I can really follow the bullet trace in.
                        Was out testing my mockup turrets now and putting them into production. They were dead on, but for next season I'll need a 30-35 MOA rail on my rifle - my double turn PMII only gives me 520 meters on the clicks with the mount as-is.
                        That's the biggest difference I notice with this compared to .260 Remington, 6.5 CM, and 6.5x47 Lapua, is that I can spot my own hits, and there is no real felt recoil to speak of in terms of discomfort.

It makes the shooting experience so pleasant, as opposed to a little bit of anticipation and slight pain or sharp jolt associated with the larger cartridges.

For those that don't know, Roe has a lot of experience shooting 6.5mm's, to include the 6.5x284 Norma.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• JPShooter
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          That's the biggest difference I notice with this compared to .260 Remington, 6.5 CM, and 6.5x47 Lapua, is that I can spot my own hits, and there is no real felt recoil to speak of in terms of discomfort.

It makes the shooting experience so pleasant, as opposed to a little bit of anticipation and slight pain or sharp jolt associated with the larger cartridges.

For those that don't know, Roe has a lot of experience shooting 6.5mm's, to include the 6.5x284 Norma.
                          A few days ago I was going to ask Roe why he was bothering with a Grendel in a bolt action?

I have been entertaining the idea of a lightweight bolt hunting rifle and have decided on the 6.5 now that "I've seen the light" via the Grendel in an AR. I have a 300WM (Gap non-typical) which is a very fine rifle. It is however not a lightweight.

I have also been considering just how much gun I really need, vs. how much gun "common wisdom" tells us we need. I currently see very little real need for my 300WM outside of very long shots on large game. In my estimation that would be something like Elk at 400+ yards.

So, my question to Roe was going to be why a Grendel in a bolt and not at least a 6.5 Lapua? I can see the logic after reading LRRPF52's response copied above here. I guess it's like every other consideration in such matters, it's just going to depend on the individual's desires. I currently am still thinking that it will be a bigger 6.5 cartridge for me than the Grendel as I have the AR for that. It may be that the AR is not legal where Roe is, I don't know. And there is no doubt that a bolt gun can weigh less than a comparable (barrel length) AR.

Horses for courses as they say!
                          Last edited by JPShooter; 08-27-2015, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• Roe
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2014

It is as you say, no-go for AR here.
                            The Grendel in an ordinary bolt-action makes no sense to me - if I carry the weight, I want the payload in the killing end!

This build was a nostalgic trip for me. As a kid (well, immature young man) I had a Sako Vixen 222 which was rechambered to 6mm-223. It was my first meeting with everything custom/ reloading etc. However, it was a little failing in the "deer drop dead right there" department. The current build was a combination of midlife-crisis and lacking impulse control, I now built my "old" gun as I couldn't afford then and hoping to recreate some of that old magic.

It appears I have kept most of my benefits from the 6mm-223 (most notably enhanced observation during recoil) but this cartridge should strike the deer a lot harder... and the logistics is a lot easier when I only have to stock 6,5mm Amax bullets ( I also shoot 6,5x55 and 6,5x284 and have used the 6,5x47).

Comment

• JPShooter
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jul 2015

Thanks for the reply Roe. I fully understand wanting to "recreate some of that old magic", been there as well.

I would like to ask you; of the 6.5 cartridges that you have, which would be your one and only?

Just looking for insight as to which way I should go with my one and only bolt action lightweight 6.5 hunting rig.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X