• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jackem
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

Verification

Got out to the desert early this morning with 2 bolt actions and the Grendel. The goal being to verify the two bolt actions and sight in the Grendel after changing scope mounts. Elk season is less than a month out so cold bore first shots are what I'm concentrating on instead of tight groups.

Put an ADM Recon with 20 degree cant on the Grendel, and after getting it on at 100 yards I switched to my 600 yard steel target. I have a G7 range finder and used it to dial in the dope on scopes of the 3 rifles I brought. Below are first shots at 600 yards with cold bores on the bolt actions and cool on the Grendel.
    338 LM with 300 gr Berger is in the red, 7mm RM with 168 Berger is lower right, and the Grendel is in the upper right. There was a cross wind of about 3 mph, which I didn't allow for. As expected, the 300 grain Berger didn't react to wind as much as the other two, and the Hornady 123 sst and the 168 Berger deflected about the same.

Since the Grendel is an unblooded new build and a prairie dog happened to pop up 109 yards out, I couldn't resist testing the 6.5's kill ability. I'm happy to report that with a front shoulder hit, the PD was DRT...))

Rifles are getting there, but I need more range time, and lucky for me the new Grendel is a hoot to shoot so there's a good chance of it happening...))

Jack
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jackem; 09-12-2015, 06:01 PM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

You might want to explain more about the G7 LRF so people who haven't heard of it can get an idea of what it does.

You shot a 3rd group at 600yds with 3 different rifles, and are still MOA, without wind holds.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Jackem
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      You might want to explain more about the G7 LRF so people who haven't heard of it can get an idea of what it does.

You shot a 3rd group at 600yds with 3 different rifles, and are still MOA, without wind holds.
      I put profiles of each caliber and bullet into the G7 LRF and it gives a solution to yardage, altitutue, temperature, and up or down angle of the shot. If memory serves for 600 yds I dialed elevation compensations of 10.3 MOA for the 338 LM and 16.3 MOA for the Grendel.

The 7 RM has a custom turrent and for it the G7 gives me a shoot-to yardage, in this case it told me to dial in 630 yards since the target was at a slight up angle even though the line of sight yardage was 600. The turrent gave me a choice between 625 and 650 yard clicks, and I choose the 625 setting, I should have compensated for those five yards not accounted for.

The cross wind solutions in the G7 start at 5 mph and increase in 5 mph increments. Since my wind meter only read 3 mph for the average wind I didn't both dialing in for a wind correction. I should have dialed in half the value which would of been about .75 MOA left.

The G7 is made by Gunwerks, mine is the older model that only does MOA, their new model also does MILs

I wanted to check first shot, cold bore accuracy, which is the one that counts hunting. The steel shows one hit from each of three rifles.

My son shoots the 338 LM since he's young and strong enough to pack it - 16.5 lbs empty and I've been shooting the 7, but that was before I stumbled across the Grendel. Now I'm thinking about packing the Grendel in case I get a shot under 3-400 yards, and using the 338 for anything further. I've got two cow elk tags for next month and hope to fill only one, and with a calf if I get a chance - the 6.5 should work?

LRRPF52 Thanks for the suggestion

Jack

Comment

• lead chucker
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Thats great shooting at 600 yrds for first round hits. Great looking Grendel also. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

Grendel will work on a elk
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
          X