• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim_bob
    Warrior
    • Jul 2014

Upper Assembly tips / tricks

I'm going to attempt my first upper assembly / build in the next couple of weeks and would really appreciate any tips / tricks / words of wisdom you may be able to offer.

Upper Components are:
    Mega forged upper
    11.5" Lilja from the group buy
    10" SLR Solo Lite handguard
    SLR adjustable gas block
    AAC 51T Breakout

I have a Geissele reaction rod, vice and torque wrench for assembly.

I want this to replace my 18" grendel in the tree stand this year.

How would I bed a barrel?

Should I use red locktite on the gasblock?

Rocksett on the flash hider?
  • lead chucker
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

My advise is to take your time while putting it together, dont get in a hurry. Make sure the gas block is aligned correctly with the gas port, after that I always check the gas tube alignment with the carrier key(no bolt) just to make sure it runs smooth. I have never bedded a barrel in one, never had the need. Of the 12+ builds Iv done they all will shoot MOA or better. I also have never locktited a gas block, The carbon usually seals it pretty well, but I like to use clamp on blocks also, when torqued down Iv never had one to move. Now thats just ME, I see nothing wrong with doing it if one so desires. Good luck with your build, you will love the shorty grendel! I love my 12". Where about in VA are ya if you don't mind me asking.

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

All barrel bedding is applying blue loc-tite to the out side of the barrel that fits into the upper receiver. If your barrel is a tight fit in the upper this is not necessary. You defiantly want to apply some grease or anti seize on the upper barrel threads. People have their own opinion of which is better but I have had good luck using both. After you make sure your gas block is aligned correctly I apply red loc-tite to the screw threads to prevent the gas block screws from backing out. Some people put loc-tite around the barrel where the gas block sits to help seal it. I have assembled many rifles with out doing this with out any problems but I now do this to help seal it since it isn't a big deal to do. Make sure you don't get any loc-tite in the gas port. I have never used Rocksett but I have used blue loc-tite on the flash hider with good results if you think it is necessary. I always lap my upper receiver to make sure it is square. Some uppers are not squared and you will immediately find out when you lap it. This has improved the accuracy immensely on one of my Grendels. The SLR gas block and hand guard are my favorite. SLR products are top quality. lead chucker is right about taking your time and not to get into a hurry. Good luck with your build and enjoy the process but be warned, building AR rifles can become addictive
      Last edited by montana; 10-04-2015, 06:42 AM.

Comment

• jim_bob
        Warrior
        • Jul 2014

Thank you for the information. I currently live in Roanoke, VA, grew up in Franklin County just south of the metropolis that is Roanoke. I hunt mostly in Franklin and Floyd counties.

Is there a tool for aligning a gas block?

Montana, what tool do you recommend for lapping the upper receiver?

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
          Warrior
          • Oct 2014

JB-
          there is a company called HB industries that sells a plastic pin alignment kit for gas block installations, but since the hole in the block is slightly oversized,
          most guys do just fine by eyeballing it carefully.(there is some room for error) You could make pencil marks on barrel & block to help line it up. just take your time- you can do it!
          -hope this helps

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by jim_bob View Post
            Thank you for the information. I currently live in Roanoke, VA, grew up in Franklin County just south of the metropolis that is Roanoke. I hunt mostly in Franklin and Floyd counties.

Is there a tool for aligning a gas block?

Montana, what tool do you recommend for lapping the upper receiver?
            I made my lapping tool since I have a 4 chuck lathe. I made it out of an old brake S cam. Maybe some other members could hop in and recommend some commercial lapping tools they have used. I don't like to recommend anything I haven't used. I have always measured and scribed for my gas block alignment but this is the first time I have heard of the HB industries tool A.D.D. AR found. It looks like a simple process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4f9stp4SWE I keep on finding helpful tips on this forum myself.

Comment

• am4966
              Chieftain
              • Jul 2014

If you gonna use a silencer with you flash hider them you use rocksett on it
              12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
              Surge - Rugged Suppressor
              Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• jim_bob
                Warrior
                • Jul 2014

Thank you for your responses, I appreciate the information.

Comment

Working...
                X