• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Squatch
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2015

reciever questions

To start off with i plan on using a 24inch .930 bull barrel. Im currently planning on using mega billet reivers (specifically the side charging upper). My question though is: are billet receivers really necessary for optimal accuracy? Price isnt an issue on this build but metalurgically forgings are stronger. This build is a target/ long range varmint build so as stated accuraccy is key. Any FACTUAL STATEMANTS are what i want! Im also interested in hearing what setup you have as far as receivers on your 24inch bull barrel builds.
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

Don't have a 24" barreled Grendel but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express once! So with that, I'm building a 12.5" Grendel and I'm using a Forged upper. When it's done I'm building a 18"-22" Grendel haven't decided yet but I'm going to use a billet upper and I would definitely use one with a .936 gas block. If the lines match up I'll use a forged lower.
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Look into the Sun Devil billet uppers. I love mine. A little "beefier" than mil spec on outside. Have there lower too with tension screw that takes all the slop out of upper/lower. Nice stuff.
      NRA Lifer

Comment

• Squatch
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2015

Thanks AZ ill check them out

Comment

• ah1whiskey
          Warrior
          • Sep 2015

i'm running billets on my 24"s -- mostly cause i got a deal on um though.

i think the thing that really matters is how square, well fit and well machined the upper is.

billets machine better usually. they just cut better than a forging.

a billet is probably a hair better because they are more carefully set up by the machine shop than a forging that is "mass produced" -- i suspect a forging that was carefully machined would give similar results.

JMHO and my $0.02
          Last edited by ah1whiskey; 10-05-2015, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• Squatch
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2015

Thats what i was kind thinking. Im just gonna stick to the mega billets

Comment

Working...
            X