• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Scope Mount Recommendations

This is kind of basic, but can I get some recommendations on a good scope mount? I assume the best option is one that mounts directly to the upper receiver, rather than straddling across to the hand guard.

I've got the Burris PEPR, but I've recently had trouble getting any tight groups. The rings are torqued tight, but it seemed like the QD attachments may have been a bit loose.

At any rate, I'd like to hear some opinions on the good vs the bad.

Thanks

Update: I got in an Aero Ultralight and a Warne RAMP. I shot 5 rounds each of Alexander Arms 123gr Scenars with each of them and shot 5 rounds with the PEPR. I had the same group size with all three mounts. Maybe I had the PEPR torqued down better this time, I don't know.

That said, I love the slim, sleek, elegant look of the Aero. The Warne seems to be a fine mount, but I could use just a little more eye relief with it. It does come with the 45 degree side mounts for iron sights and that seems to be a pretty good setup if that's what you're looking for.

I'll go ahead and swap the PEPR with Burris for a fixed mount and I think it'll be just fine for my purposes. Thanks to all for your input.
    Last edited by Drillboss; 10-19-2015, 01:55 AM. Reason: Update
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

Boboro Engineering, LaRue Tactical, American Defense Manufacturing, Aadmount, Nightforce UNI-Mount, Spuhr

All Great mounts and across all levels of toughness. Under 200.00-400.00 for me and my needs a American Defense Manufacturing mount is what I'm gonnat use. If I find a great deal on a Boboro, LaRue or UNI-Mount that'll be my next choice. The others are great just to pricey for me.
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

My current go-to is the NightForce Unimount, which has 20 MOA, is very light, beautiful rings, Titanium, rock solid, no frills. I can +1 all the mounts mentioned above too, and have used most of them extensively.

If you want an inexpensive American made mount, Aero makes some great ones.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• CastorTroy
        Warrior
        • Mar 2015

if you dont need a qd mount, it's pretty hard to beat the aero ultralight scope mounts for quality and price

Comment

• Bill257
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2015

I like Warne mounts, solid and come in at a mid range price point. No experience with QD mounts - prefer fixed mount as I never intend to take them off and fixed seems to eliminate a potential weak spot; although the top end manufactures have apparently mastered the QD system. FYI Burris has good customer service - returned 2 PEPR mounts (one for issues with the ring screws and the other for the bolt that tighten it to the rail) and got two new mounts fairly quickly - I would not hesitate to contact Burris.

Comment

• PredatorDown
            Warrior
            • Jun 2014

I replaced a PEPR mount with the Aadland Select-A-Slope a few months back and have been really happy with it. I run it with the 30MOA inserts so I can get the most adjustment possible out of my scope. I can only dial down 1 1/4 minutes from my 100 yard zero, so it's about perfect for my needs.

If you strictly want a 20MOA mount, go with one of their standard Aadmounts.

Comment

• Steamburn
              Warrior
              • Apr 2015

Aero Ultralight or Leupold.

Comment

• jeff556
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2015

Just mounted a Vortex Razor HD Gen I in an AADMount. It feel super solid and the workmanship was excellent.

That scope has a 35mm main tube, so that limited the mount choices.

Comment

• Lightning8
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2015

Another vote for AERO Ultralight. I have been replacing my PEPRs with the AEROs. I have one JP one piece mount and it is very nice but you cannot beat the AEROs for the price.

Comment

• Mark_L
                    Unwashed
                    • Jun 2015

Please forgive my ignorance, but if you are using a flat top receiver, why do you need a mount at all? Shouldn't you be able to simply put your scope in a tall set of Weaver style rings and mount them directly to the rail?

Comment

• Drillboss
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Mark_L View Post
                      Please forgive my ignorance, but if you are using a flat top receiver, why do you need a mount at all? Shouldn't you be able to simply put your scope in a tall set of Weaver style rings and mount them directly to the rail?
                      To get the proper eye relief with my scopes, I would either have to put one ring on the receiver and the other on the handguard or put both rings on the receiver behind the adjustment turrets. I don't like either of those options.

Thanks for all the inputs. It's a 1" scope tube, so that seems to eliminate some of the options. I've got an Aero and a Warne on the way. One will probably go back.

Comment

• Rainman
                        Bloodstained
                        • May 2015

Separate rings work just fine on rifles that are primarily set up for single purposes such as varmint hunting or always shooting from a bench or prone. Several companies offer them in AR specific heights. QR unitized mounts offer more flexibility on rifles that will serve in multiple roles and may be configured to shoot with open sights, scopes or red dot sights depending on what use the rifle will be depolyed for on any given day.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2011

Basic and non-tacticool... but I found the Nikon M223 mount to work perfectly on my bull grendel after wasting much time dinking around with rings, risers, etc.

Put it on, mounted Nikon scope, and eye-relief/height was perfect. (At the time came with the scope, still see them in the $50 range at times)

Comment

• rabiddawg
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Mark_L View Post
                            Sure, the weaver rings will mount but most folks find they are not tall enough.

I have a Burris pepr ($70)on a 16" gun but opted for the gg&g qd mount ($220)on my other guns.
                            Last edited by rabiddawg; 10-10-2015, 09:23 PM.
                            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• jim_bob
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2014

PEPR, Unimount, Bobro, even SFWA (looks like a PEPR) hold zero for me. It really depends on if you want QD.

Comment

Working...
                              X