• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Another Lightweight Hunter

AA 16 Build.jpg

You've got to love the modularity of the AR platform. I've got about $300 in this build including an AA 16" lightweight barrel, new mid-length gas tube, Yankee Hill Machine clamp-on gas block, and VLTOR flash hider. To be fair, maybe it's $380, since I had to use my spare Grendel bolt.

I swapped out the barrel on my original AR, a Stag Model 3 and lapped the receiver. Pulled the Troy Alpha mid-length handguard off of my first 5.56 build, and grabbed a Redfield 4-12 off of my muzzle loader. Without the sling, scope and mount, the bathroom scale shows 6 lb even. It beats the heck out of lugging a 20" bull barrel through the woods.

I'm cautiously optimistic on the accuracy, in that I had several 3/8" to 1/2" pairs while zeroing the scope. We'll see what it does for 3 to 5 shot groups after deer season is over. The lower has a stock trigger that I've trimmed the trigger spring on and used the set screw to reduce the amount of creep.

The deer aren't cooperating yet. I've only seen a yearling doe just wasn't big enough and some at 400 yards that I wasn't ready to attempt. That said, we did the same thing for a buddy and he shot 2 does with his one afternoon (another happy Grendel convert). Either he's got a better lease, or he's just better at this game than I am.
    Last edited by Drillboss; 11-25-2015, 06:52 PM.
  • pkee
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

I agree . I built a few out of left over parts .

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Lookin' good!
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
      X