• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drift
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

Which AR lower parts kit to get?

I plan to buy a separate trigger, but otherwise want to buy a quality "kit" for an AR lower. That would sure save me a lot of time and frustration ordering individual quality parts. Which one does the Horde recommend ? thanks
  • pkee
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

With so many to pick from , I have been wondering the same thing . Glad you started the post .

Comment

• Nick
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

I used a CMMG lower kit minus trigger and grip. Picked up at show for $38. I have had no problems with any of the components and would use again in future.

Comment

• Drillboss
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

I agree with Nick. Granted, my builds are only a year or two old, but these parts, pins and springs aren't rocket science and the mil spec LPK's seem to be fine. Midway has an AR Stoner kit without trigger and grip that's pretty inexpensive.

The aftermarket grips beat the heck out of mil spec, in my opinion. If you're not looking for a custom trigger, you can still buy the mil spec. I did the set screw trick on one of mine and ended up with a really nice trigger. That was with trimming one side of the hammer spring to just barely clear the trigger pin. Previous attempts did result in some light primer strikes.
        Last edited by Drillboss; 12-12-2015, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• Bl2yan
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2015

I've used Stag, CMMG, and another random brand or two. I've never had any issues with the LPK, I almost always replace the trigger right away though. I'm always throwing those triggers and grips away which I feel is wasteful. So I recently picked up a couple Lower build kits from Palmetto State Armory which have custom triggers (including Geissele) and MagPul grips and stocks included and not the stock parts. They are well priced and worth checking out IMO. I have not completed a build with them yet but I don't expect any problems as the LPK is pretty standardized.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

There are a lot of cheap lower parts kits on the market that are being made overseas. You won't know unless the "manufacturer" says they are made in the US.

Wholesale price on some of these Taiwanese LPK's is under $20.

They are anything but Mil-spec. Hardly any of the US LPK's are Mil-spec, and I learned that the hard way in the Arctic with a look-alike gun.

The TDP and Mil-spec calls for most of the parts to be MPI'd to ensure your bolt catch, hammer, trigger, selector, and disconnector don't have micro fractures in them.

The Mil-spec detents are supposed to be cadmium plated, whereas the detents on the market are almost always zinc-plated, which invites corrosion.

We're seeing more and more hammer and trigger pins breaking, disconnectors that aren't timed right for the LPK/lower receiver combo, spring sources all over the map, but hammers and triggers have appeared to get better from the porous DPMS units that were common a few years ago.

One of the really nice LPK's that you don't hear a lot about is the J&T/Doublestar kit. You often hear the DD recommended, and they are squared away. A lot of the retailers get them from different vendors at different times, so you can't really say, get brand x, because brand x isn't really a brand most of the time.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Flyguy11
              Warrior
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Nick View Post
              I used a CMMG lower kit minus trigger and grip. Picked up at show for $38. I have had no problems with any of the components and would use again in future.
              +1 I would only add KNS anti-rotation pins

Comment

• 1075 tech
                Warrior
                • Apr 2015

After a couple of mil-spec kits, I'll now be getting ones without grip and without trigger/hammer. I have an Ergo, Hogue, and MagPul Moe w/rubber grips. As I upgrade my triggers, I'm adding KNS pins. I can live with the mil-spec safety selector but may eventually start switching some of those for ambi's.

If I do more builds, I may just start buying the small parts individually in groups of 5 or 10.

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2015

back years ago you could get the parts from de-milled m-16s for practically penuts , grind off the hammer hook and the tail off the sear , add a $9 semi safety and you had a decent set up for practically noting in todays pricing.

today it is difficult to get quality parts , everything is outsourced, and brands are mostly just labels.

that said i like DD, LMT, double-star, and CMT. and even with them i haven't bought any lately-- so things might have changed.

all others are a sort of grab-bag quality to um , some of the parts are too soft, rough, ill-fitting , and weak springs--

on non critical things they can be made to work-- i do miss the days of quality though.

Comment

• kb18no1
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2015

Jp rifles makes a nice kit without the trigger.

Jp makes really good stuff

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2015

i forgot to mention that rock river "made" good parts--

bushmaster and DPMS parts were good Before all the mergers. today their a crap shoot.

a PSA might be OK on the small parts but i hate their trigger groups/FCGs .

i have bought a lot of small parts from sarco-- total crap shoot with them . sometimes you get good USGI surplus other times poorly made imported parts. luck of the draw with them on AR stuff.

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

I highly advise that you make sure the kit contains stainless steel springs, especially if you live or operate in a humid environment.
                        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• COTNTOP
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2011

I buy the LPK from WOA that has no trigger assembly for 40 dollars. Never had a problem with WOA products, their name and products are at the top of the list.

Comment

• am4966
                            Chieftain
                            • Jul 2014

I have used CMMG, LBE and Precision Firearms. I won't pay what DD wants for them or $55.00 and above, so with that being said I'm going to use PF from now on, I liked there LPK. $45.00 is fine and the quality was good
                            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Nick
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
                              I have used CMMG, LBE and Precision Firearms. I won't pay what DD wants for them or $55.00 and above, so with that being said I'm going to use PF from now on, I liked there LPK. $45.00 is fine and the quality was good
                              I'd def be in on a PF kit for $45, but I see on their website it is $60. You find it cheaper else where?

Comment

Working...
                              X